Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Boost (AB) or 20" induction wheels for 2023 new Model Y LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its a bargain for 4k. For some, including myself, some of the "upgrades" are negatives. Notably the larger staggered wheels ride worse, are prone to damage on potholes, can't rotate tires and there are very few winter tire options. The lower ride height is also a negative for snow, drainage swells and fireroads.
Not gonna lie, I would love to have the speed and power. However, not being able to rotate tires that are already quite expensive, means quite a bit more added on that extra 4K over time. I thought about getting one and just swapping the wheels to Geminis but it was easier just to go with the LR on an already powerful car.

I got these hubcaps on the Geminis and am happy.

52-A00-EB8-B22-D-48-F5-9828-9-F66-E33-BDBDC.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: pipestem
The 20" wheels all day! I just couldn't see buying a car with hubcaps at this price point. :) I know you can remove them and add a center ring, or whatever it's called. My wife who never has an opinion about our cars was adamant on getting the 20's.
Style of wheels matters for a lot of people. I think that's great. It why I was able to buy a full set of gemini's with covers locally for $350. No curb rash or issues. So now I have winter wheels for dedicated winter tires before I even own the car. The other model y owner wanted black wheels so they bought aftermarket cast wheels drag brand 19 inchers from discount tire that look like the 20 inch inductions and had their stock tires moved over to those new wheels.

Reactions: spokey and Mike728
I was debating this myself at one point. At the time, I was justifying the incremental cost of the MYP. I always want additional performance, I like bigger wheels and caliper covers (I'm vain that way :) ) and the MYP also has track mode. Not that I was going to track it but would be nice to be able to dial things in during the winter months. I wasn't keen on the 21" being so low profile and the expensive tires so I was going to sell the 21" and use those funds to get aftermarket 20" and hopefully come out fairly even. I think 20" is a good compromise between looks and performance for everyday driving. All of my cars have been on the sporty side. But in the end, I got a MYLR because the $5k federal rebate in Canada became eligible on the LR. So I couldn't justify the cost difference after that. I haven't gotten AB yet, not sure if I will. From my understanding, it's more for 0-60 improvement and not so much difference at higher speeds. But it's a nice option to have from the factory and still keep your warranty intact. I have had several Audis and VWs and flashing the ECU almost made me nervous on whether the dealership would deny a warranty repair because of it.

I went with a MYP when I placed my order recently. The cost is essentially the same for a MYLR + AB so why not just go all the way?
1. Lower suspension, some don't like it
2. Worse ride comfort
3. Easier to damage the 21 rims in the pot hole because of the low tire profile
4. Need to change tires more often and they are more expensive than 19s or 20s
5. Since rear tires are wider than fronts, you can't make rotation so you ll change rear tires twice often than fronts. Expect it to do every 15-20K miles at best.

ALL those reasons were why I bough LR instead of P.

2. Worse ride comfort
5. Since rear tires are wider than fronts, you can't make rotation so you ll change rear tires twice often than fronts. Expect it to do every 15-20K miles at best.

No.

• Funny
Reactions: Dogs_In_A_Pile
2. Worse ride comfort

I guess many "just get the P" people are not aware any of this.

the price tag and performance are too attractive. I'll give that to Tesla.

Reactions: tangible1
Contemplating AB; as to why not fork over $4k for MYP? MYP doesn't have a 7 seat option.
Performance model also has lower towing capabilities than the LR. The highest towing capabilites (which are still modest) is for the LR with 19 inch wheels.

Revised. Looks like the big difference is using the 20 inch wheels has the lowest towing capabilities. 19s and 21s are almost the same.

Last edited:
I wouldn't pay $2,000 for the inductions but that's just personal preference. As others have said, when I bought mine in 2021, it was $9,000 more for performance. I bought aftermarket 19" wheels within a few weeks of ownership and then bought AB about 9 months later. The acceleration boost is definitely noticeable. It's a much harder decision to make now with how close the performance model is in price. If I had to do it today, I'd go performance with the plan of swapping out the 21" wheels shortly for something smaller and more to my taste.

2. Worse ride comfort

The 2023 suspension is a massive improvement on the P. Also, it's a very subjective thing. Some people love the more sporty feel, some want to drive around on a cloud. I get it. To me, the P suspension on the 2023 cars feels fantastic.

All of of your other complaints are about tires, which can be changed and are not as big of an issue. Simply swap the 21's for something else and you are set. Sell the 21's and recoup some cost to buy cheaper wheels / tires.

The 2023 suspension is a massive improvement on the P. Also, it's a very subjective thing. Some people love the more sporty feel, some want to drive around on a cloud. I get it. To me, the P suspension on the 2023 cars feels fantastic.

All of of your other complaints are about tires, which can be changed and are not as big of an issue. Simply swap the 21's for something else and you are set. Sell the 21's and recoup some cost to buy cheaper wheels / tires.
Okay, you may be right about suspension, and someone like for the car to be stiff.
But tires.. well, spend $4K more on car and then spend another $1-2K to change the rims and tires... I don't know.. is the 1 sec off 0-60 really worth it.

Okay, you may be right about suspension, and someone like for the car to be stiff.
But tires.. well, spend $4K more on car and then spend another $1-2K to change the rims and tires... I don't know.. is the 1 sec off 0-60 really worth it.
Depends on how one looks at it.

For one thing, there are people that want to trade their Gemini/Induction wheels for Uberturbine wheels. So how the trade goes depends on the people, but it wouldn’t be unreasonable to get some cash when trading away the Ubers, since they‘re supposed to be more expensive than the Geminis/Inductions. But they could just do straight swaps and no cash for simplicity.

So, we’re left with… is it worth $4k for 1 second? Is it worth $2k for 1/2 second going with AB?

That said, this whole thread seems like a mess. I was going to post more, but I guess I’ll just leave with this.

To the OP, what are you looking for? Cause if you think about either option, it seems like spending a bit more and going with an MYP would make more sense.

Both options can be viewed as a step to making it more “sporty.” The MYP has a few additional options that are also steps in that direction, that make it a better third option.

Trust me. Model y lr is no riding around in cloud.

The difference if we are speaking BMW 325 vs M3. And all that for few thousands more.

I forgot the main reason why I didn't get the P. At the time, it would have pushed me outside the 7K tax rebate threshold. Thats no longer an issue. It was an easy decision at the time. Onece u start replacing the staggered tires. It might give pause. But yeah, I can't deny the acceleration draw. Can't blame anyone for wanting that. Over a second is a big difference.