Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The source post says he has a rwd car, does that mean it could be different for AWD cars? If the upgrade costs money but doesn't bring the dual motor AWD to P- level I'm going to be disappointed and probably not buy. If it does get to P-, with track mode, TAKE MY MONEY NOW.

This is pretty sweet.

Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 1.36.39 PM.png

The source post says he has a rwd car, does that mean it could be different for AWD cars? If the upgrade costs money but doesn't bring the dual motor AWD to P- level I'm going to be disappointed and probably not buy. If it does get to P-, with track mode, TAKE MY MONEY NOW.

You’re not going to get an existing LR AWD update to 3P- with Track Mode for $2K. You’re just not. Anyone who thinks this is happening is living in a dream world.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say there’s zero chance that this upgrade is going to turn LR AWD into a 3P- . Tesla is never going to cannibalize its P-line of cars this way.

And before anyone says anything, this isn’t the same as paying $2k extra at the time of purchasing the car to get a 3P-

Except that it is how is selling a 3P- any different from selling a LR AWD then charging roughly the difference to uncork it? The inventory is for all intents and purposes identical from their standpoint. So far from cannibalizing their 3P- this allows them to effectively sell people who didn't ( for any multitude of reasons ) Didn't buy a 3P- to pay the difference and correct the mistake ( or lack of inventory ) . It's nothing but a win for Tesla. Realistically the number of people that would sell their LR AWD and buy a Performance is minuscule compared to people that may shell out for an upgrade. I don't see how anyone thinks this will cannibalize anything

this makes no sense. What happens to the Stealth P3D then as its the same price? It should just be the full P3D stealth upgrade for $2k. Sure, change the name to LR AWD with boost vs. Stealth P3D but make it fair for the current AWD owners

There’s nothing unfair about it. If you buy a computer for $5k a year ago, then now for $5.5k you can get a faster version, do you really expect to be able to spend $500 and have that same computer?

Reactions: M109Rider
There’s nothing unfair about it. If you buy a computer for $5k a year ago, then now for $5.5k you can get a faster version, do you really expect to be able to spend $500 and have that same computer?
I'm just saying if you can buy a Stealth P3D for $50k...its the same price as buying a AWD w/Boost for $50k. Pricing makes no sense. They should be the same thing.

You’re not going to get an existing LR AWD update to 3P- with Track Mode for $2K. You’re just not. Anyone who thinks this is happening is living in a dream world.

If a 3P- costs exactly $2K more new ; it is a dream world to offer the same as an OTA update?

Personally I would expect it to be more like $2500 or $3000 after the initial purchase, same as FSD costs $1K more later but don't see the rationale for charging anymore than $3K for something that cost $2K new.

That’s a horrible analogy. If the 7700 and 7700k were identical and could pay for the unlocking later, that’s more appropriate.

this makes no sense. What happens to the Stealth P3D then as its the same price? It should just be the full P3D stealth upgrade for $2k. Sure, change the name to LR AWD with boost vs. Stealth P3D but make it fair for the current AWD owners

Every early adopter made this comment at some point. The AWD now is cheaper than when I bought it in Oct 2018, and when I configured P3D- was not an option (we could only pay an extra $11k for the full upgrade). This does nothing but allow more people with dual motors to access software to allow p3d- acceleration and gives Tesla a meaningful revenue stream to tap into, similar to offering FSD to all after purchase.
My only question is whether this is really for 990 motors that may be hardware limited and not 980 motors which are identical to the performance models.

Reactions: ZappCatt
Except that it is how is selling a 3P- any different from selling a LR AWD then charging roughly the difference to uncork it? The inventory is for all intents and purposes identical from their standpoint. So far from cannibalizing their 3P- this allows them to effectively sell people who didn't ( for any multitude of reasons ) Didn't buy a 3P- to pay the difference and correct the mistake ( or lack of inventory ) . It's nothing but a win for Tesla. Realistically the number of people that would sell their LR AWD and buy a Performance is minuscule compared to people that may shell out for an upgrade. I don't see how anyone thinks this will cannibalize anything

There are far too many assumption. First we have the 990 vs 980 discussion. Second, that’s not how upgrades work (if you buy a computer with a proprietary component already included vs buying the part later it’s always cheaper to buy it at the time of purchase as “bundled.”)

This $2k actually aligns well with my thought process some time ago when the “uncork” discussion was in full swing. I would not be surprised if all LR AWD motors are NOT capable of becoming 3P motors, but they are all capable of being at least somewhat faster. This speed increase may actually be the limit of where the lowest common denominator sits. You can imagine how pissed off owners would be if some of them could upgrade to full 3P but others couldn’t due to motor revision.

That’s a horrible analogy. If the 7700 and 7700k were identical and could pay for the unlocking later, that’s more appropriate.

That’s fine. Let’s go with that analogy. For argument’s sake if the 7700 and 7700K were identical processors with the K featuring unlockable multipliers, the 7700 would cost e.g. $300 now, and $100 to unlock later. Buying the 7700K would cost $350. I doubt anyone would complain.

Reactions: Ejl80
I want the option. Whether it’s $2k or $3k (which is the maximum I think is fair). I think it’s fair to charge $2k to upgrade an awd to p- since that’s exactly what they’re charging for it if you buy it new. There’s no additional cost on their end to push out the software.
This intermediate thing is a slap in the face. If I had the option to go from awd to stealth for $2k back in October last year when I got my car I would have done it without hesitation. It was like ~10k at the time.

If my car can perform as a p then just give me the opportunity to upgrade at a fair price. I’m not interested in paying the same amount (actually way more if you consider total purchase price) as p- for half the performance upgrade.

Reactions: mybeans
There are far too many assumption. First we have the 990 vs 980 discussion. Second, that’s not how upgrades work (if you buy a computer with a proprietary component already included vs buying the part later it’s always cheaper to buy it at the time of purchase as “bundled.”)

This $2k actually aligns well with my thought process some time ago when the “uncork” discussion was in full swing. I would not be surprised if all LR AWD motors are NOT capable of becoming 3P motors, but they are all capable of being at least somewhat faster. This speed increase may actually be the limit of where the lowest common denominator sits. You can imagine how pissed off owners would be if some of them could upgrade to full 3P but others couldn’t due to motor revision.

Tesla also has a history of not caring about if owners are pissed because they couldn’t uncork due to hardware differences. Google Model S 75 Uncork

If a 3P- costs exactly $2K more new ; it is a dream world to offer the same as an OTA update?

Personally I would expect it to be more like $2500 or $3000 after the initial purchase, same as FSD costs $1K more later but don't see the rationale for charging anymore than $3K for something that cost $2K new.

FSD isn't/wasn't $1000 more if added later. The price went up $1000 if bought initially or added later.

I want the option. Whether it’s $2k or $3k (which is the maximum I think is fair). I think it’s fair to charge $2k to upgrade an awd to p- since that’s exactly what they’re charging for it if you buy it new. There’s no additional cost on their end to push out the software.
This intermediate thing is a slap in the face. If I had the option to go from awd to stealth for $2k back in October last year when I got my car I would have done it without hesitation. It was like ~10k at the time.

If my car can perform as a p then just give me the opportunity to upgrade at a fair price. I’m not interested in paying the same amount (actually way more if you consider total purchase price) as p- for half the performance upgrade.

That’s fine. You don’t need to buy it. After all, Tesla owes you nothing. I think a fair price for the power upgrade is around $3,500-$4k to go from a LR AWD to 3P. This new intermediate power increase will be massively noticeable, and Tesla will sell a lot of it.

Reactions: M109Rider