Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me be clear...

You are missing the point.

You said there's a physical difference.
I've seen NOTHING as proof of that, and abundant proof there is NO physical difference.

Look-from the beginning, I placed my bet on there being NO physical difference between the M3P-, and the LR AWD model. Seems like there's less and less evidence that I was wrong.

It's not a discussion over whether or not Elon was lying. I've seen statements misunderstood, and misinterpreted before.

I'm sure many with a P3-, or P3 (which has the equipment differences, like calipers, lower suspension, etc) want there to be a physical difference, because otherwise, for whatever reason, they got cheated. They didn't.

Your discussion should be with ELON. Not me.

Let me be clear again. I AM SAYING that Elon said there is a physical difference.

Period.

If you don't believe HIM....then there is nothing to discuss. Your argument isn't with me. That's all I'm going to say on the matter.

Your discussion should be with ELON. Not me.

Let me be clear again. I AM SAYING that Elon said there is a physical difference.

Period.

If you don't believe HIM....then there is nothing to discuss. Your argument isn't with me. That's all I'm going to say on the matter.
Ohh boy here we go again. It’s the same motor bro it’s just the motor went through burn in and the higher output ones gets binned. But literally the same motors lol. If your still going to use The Elon said this as your basis then yes he lied although he didn’t cause it’s the damn same motor. Don’t read too much between the lines.

Reactions: Siddhartha
Ohh boy here we go again. It’s the same motor bro it’s just the motor went through burn in and the higher output ones gets binned. But literally the same motors lol. If your still going to use The Elon said this as your basis then yes he lied although he didn’t cause it’s the damn same motor. Don’t read too much between the lines.

Yep... I don’t have a dog in this motor fight but it’s the same motor. The AWD and Performance model use the exact same components. If you tear them down they are exactly the same. The only “difference” is that they tested the Performance ones more. They probably just discovered that even the ones that weren’t tested as much could still handle the power boost and decided to make money off of it and if a few fail prematurely it will be more than paid for by all the people who buy it and don’t fail until after the warranty period expires. Anybody who thinks the motors are different should come up with some proof like a complete tear down of both motors showing the difference.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Yep... I don’t have a dog in this motor fight but it’s the same motor. The AWD and Performance model use the exact same components. If you tear them down they are exactly the same. The only “difference” is that they tested the Performance ones more. They probably just discovered that even the ones that weren’t tested as much could still handle the power boost and decided to make money off of it and if a few fail prematurely it will be more than paid for by all the people who buy it and don’t fail until after the warranty period expires. Anybody who thinks the motors are different should come up with some proof like a complete tear down of both motors showing the difference.

The LR AWD uses a different part number for the rear motor since earlier this year (990) vs the 3P (980). This argument has been beaten to death. They may be the same. They may not be the same. I've seen arguments both ways, and quite honestly it doesn't matter. We don't need to go there yet again.

If Tesla charged $2000-3000 for a full upgrade not stepped they would get far more revenue and positive buzzz. Incremental upgrades are not that exciting on an EV, a signif

Here is the deal. The P motors were checked for balance and sorted initially. Then Tesla discovered that all of them were in spec so they really did not need to segregate, it was int he high 90% range. There were not two different motors. You are the first person in a long time that actually got it right but some here have been obsessed with part numbers and other theories.

If Tesla charged $2000-3000 for a full upgrade not stepped they would get far more revenue and positive buzzz. Incremental upgrades are not that exciting on an EV, a signif

Here is the deal. The P motors were checked for balance and sorted initially. Then Tesla discovered that all of them were in spec so they really did not need to segregate, it was int he high 90% range. There were not two different motors. You are the first person in a long time that actually got it right but some here have been obsessed with part numbers and other theories.

Right, and what I think is that Tesla likely selected motors for P, tested them, and used them if they passed. Probably tossed them entirely if they didn't make the cut (unlikely that a "non-pass" motor would still be used in ANY car).
There's no insult in the parts being the same for P- vs AWD. The cost difference can be explained easily with higher probability of warranty needs/wear and tear, etc. You didn't get a lesser car just because the parts are identical. The software makes the P- and P spectacular. Nice that the AWD cars can get close (or possibly equal) the P-.
I did do the upgrade to AWD+, and it's amazing

Reactions: CMoZ

Yep... and I suspect what has happened with the part number change is that there is some minor tweak for reliability in the 990 motor, but since they still have a ton of 980 “P-certified” motors on the shelf it’s going to take them longer to run through that existing stock versus the higher volume “normal” AWD motor. So over time we’ll see the 990 appear on the P model as well, but not until they’ve exhausted the existing P 980 motors.

I just bought the boost upgrade and did pre and post Draggy tests to compare. I have a LR AWD w/ 980 motor, 22k miles, stock aero wheels. Conditions: temp 36 deg F outside. Did pre boost runs then drove home, downloaded the update and re-charged to 94% and did the post boost runs. Drove around a bit to warm up the battery(still had about 5-6 dots pre boost runs and 0-1 dots for post boost runs) and warm up the tires before both the pre and post tests. All times are with a 1 ft rollout and a validated slope.

Pre boost update: 4.07 sec/82% SOC, 4.11/88%
Post boost update: 3.57/84% SOC, 3.65/85%, 3.67/90%, 3.69/90%.

So, pretty much 0.5 sec as advertised. I definitely felt the difference in "kick". Seemed much more noticeable after 20+ mph but still noticeable from launch. Definitely worth it to me. I really want the full unlock(and would pay 2k more) to P levels though. That would be awesome.

Your argument isn't with me.

All I can say for a fact is that my P3D ran 2.8 ( 0-60 ) 3 times in a row at the Joliet Autoban in Joliet Illinois.

I wouldn't trade that for anything in the world.

If Tesla is allowing a 1+ second improvement in the P3D.....fine with me.

Screen Shot 2019-12-21 at 7.18.13 PM.png
IMG_2870.jpeg