Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, this option is only for the LR AWD models. Many folks pick this trim because once the LR RWD was taken off menu it was the least expensive trim to get the full premium interior. For most folks the AWD has way more power than anyone needs. Most folks don’t typically launch hard light after light and if you have passengers they will be giving you an earful after a couple pulls.

By that logic nobody'd ever buy a P.

So, who buys this option? Enthusiasts looking to squeeze some more performance out of the car they enjoy driving or maybe the buyer who really wanted the Performance trim but it was outside their budget, etc. I think it is cool Tesla added this option but I would be surprised if they had higher than a 10-15% take rate.

We've already been over this... in 2018 the P was an $11,000 upcharge.... there's likely a ton of folk who didn't find a 1 second 0-60 bump worth $11,000 but might well find a 0.5 second bump worth $2000

And near the end of 2018, and the first half of 2019, the P3D- didn't exist- so again many bought an AWD because they didn't wanna spend 10k, especially when it came with brakes they didn't need and potentially wheels they didn't want.... but half the performance boost for 2k instead of 10k? Good deal.

Obviously someone buying new TODAY wouldn't buy this unlock. He'd just get the much-cheaper-now P3D- (assuming they keep selling em at all or keep selling em at this price)

But tons of folks who already have AWDs, and wanted a bit more speed, but not enough to drop $10,000+ to get it.

Still- even if it's as tiny a market as you think- given the marginal cost to Tesla to add this to a vehicle is roughly 0, any take rate is pure profit.

Yea thats a pretty weird justification. I bet most people comparing upgrades to an ICE car haven't even had any performance cars that they have modified.

I have had a Bmw M4 and current generation z06 that i have actually modified. And guess what? The cost of the mods really depends on the car. You cannot just throw out a blanket statement that it will cost more than $2k for all ICE cars. Just a simple tune (which barely costs anything) will decrease the 0-60 times on both of these cars substantially. And most importantly you have the freedom to choose how much you want to upgrade and what power level you would like to be at. With Tesla, you are at the mercy of what Tesla offers you. Which wouldn't be so bad if they actually offered the same performance and features as the stealth since that is the price difference currently. The people who have bought this upgrade can justify it however they want but the fact is that you paid full price for half the upgrade.
I’ve had many modded ICE vehicles including a 710rwhp twin turbo G8 GXP, I know how much mods cost and gains you can expect.

Some before and after acceleration testing of a AWD+ vs a Stealth Performance has surfaced. Skip to 1:40 if you want to see the boosted difference.

The Performance still pulls away but it's much less pronounced. Here's to hoping for another boost package for LR AWD to go full P.

Also saw someone tweeted to Elon tonight asking for "mid range love too" while citing a link to a race video of a boosted AWD and Elon replied "Ok" so it looks like maybe there are more of these boosts coming for the RWD models. I bet that the "BASE_PLUS" found in the source code by @greentheonly might be this very boost.

In other news, I got my booty spanked earlier by what looked to be a 2019 BMW M5 out on the roads. I didn't realize those cars are running 600+ hp now stock...good lord. I will say that running at 45% SoC, the boost is much less noticeable. Felt only slightly stronger than a 100% SoC unboosted AWD, so there's that. It would be interesting to see a race between an unboosted AWD at 95% SoC and a boosted one at 45% SoC.

Last edited:
Some before and after acceleration testing of a AWD+ vs a Stealth Performance has surfaced. Skip to 1:40 if you want to see the boosted difference.

The Performance still pulls away but it's much less pronounced. Here's to hoping for another boost package for LR AWD to go full P.

Also saw someone tweeted to Elon tonight asking for "mid range love too" while citing a link to a race video of a boosted AWD and Elon replied "Ok" so it looks like maybe there are more of these boosts coming for the RWD models. I bet that the "BASE_PLUS" found in the source code by @greentheonly might be this very boost.

In other news, I got my booty spanked earlier by what looked to be a 2019 BMW M5 out on the roads. I didn't realize those cars are running 600+ hp now stock...good lord. I will say that running at 45% SoC, the boost is much less noticeable. Felt only slightly stronger than a 100% SoC unboosted AWD, so there's that. It would be interesting to see a race between an unboosted AWD at 95% SoC and a boosted one at 45% SoC.

Interesting video. It's less pronounced but it's still a spanking at any close-to-legal speeds, as you'd expect. In a few of those runs the LR AWD even got the jump, and the Performance 3 still strolls on by.

The fastest P I've seen was back in August by the ZerosportHQ guy which was before this recent 5% bump. He's got a thread on these forums with his car stripped out and over 400 lb weight reduction. 2.96 without 1' rollout and 2.74 with 1' rollout. Here's him doing it on instagram.

With a stock P, I find it hard to believe the 2.8 time unless it was weight reduced or the testing is faulty. Or you're a midget or super skinny and weigh 85 pounds soaking wet. I'm not judging. :p

@Garlan Garner do you think you can you repeat this performance with a Dragy or VBOX and show us? I'd be willing to loan you my Dragy as I have for phantasms if you wanted.

I posted my track receipts in a thread back in March.

So did a few others.

No, I'm NOT the only one running those times.

There were 2 others that ran 2.7 on April 21st 2019.

It was pre-everything concerning updates.

Pre both 5% updates?

That would be at least a solid 0.5 seconds quicker than any other Ps in the world were running at the time.

Even after the first 5% professional car mags were only getting 3.1 with rollout testing the P...and it was 3.2-3.3 before that.

So sounds like that specific track had miscalibrated equipment since they were all consistently off by about the same amount.

Interesting video. It's less pronounced but it's still a spanking at any close-to-legal speeds, as you'd expect. In a few of those runs the LR AWD even got the jump, and the Performance 3 still strolls on by.
According to the dyno graphs, an AWD+ won’t equalize in power until 75mph. The non boosted equalizes at 90mph. I’d rather have a boost mode for the P models where it equalizes the pull from 60-130 for track duty vs improving the 0-60.