Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Acceleration is something you get used to
Set your car into chill mode for a week and then try it out and see if you feel it ; or could drive a regular ICE sedan for a couple of days.

Completely true, while we wait for the Model Y my wife has a V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland and every time I drive it I feel like I’m driving a snail. Granted it’s a SUV but driving it really makes me appreciate my 3.

Reactions: M109Rider
My stealth requires premium electricity. Sucks.

$200 a month is pretty staggering actually. That’s 1/3 of a car payment.

Attachments

• FDC3878A-DD1D-4982-914F-7AE49E953E79.png
    FDC3878A-DD1D-4982-914F-7AE49E953E79.png
    305.7 KB · Views: 128
I would say it is the same motors as AWD, just “binned”. There really isn’t a “performance motor” for the 3’s. For the S and X, definitely rear motor is an actual Performance motor.

The stealth was 3.5 without rollout, so in actuality it is 3.2 with rollout. And the AWD is 3.9 without rollout now, after the $2k upgrade, coming from 4.4 seconds 0-60.

Obviously, and it appears you pretty much restated my post. Thanks!

I would say it is the same motors as AWD, just “binned”.

and not even that based on what we know from the parts catalog.

If you walk into a Tesla service center today to order a replacement rear 980 motor (the one both AWD and P cars got) they don't even need your VIN to insure you get the "special" one for P if you have a P. Because there's no such thing as a special or "performance" version of it- it's the same motor in both cars, only difference is software, so the replacement part is the same for both versions of the car.

I was clarifying. You said 3.2 without rollout. Sorry if i misread it, but it was a little confusing to me so i wanted to make sure people understood that there is no “performance” motor and the 0-60’s were represented correctly. I guess i misunderstood your post.

No problem– I may have misunderstood yours!. 3.2 0 to 60 without rollout is about where the performance car is right now after the three power boosts. Yes there are no "performance motors" per se there are just performance settings on the dual motor inverters.

What’s your experience with performance cars? The data around the upgrade is irrefutable, and I’m genuinely curious how you can find it unnoticeable.
Not sure how it's related since my previous car was a Cadillac ELR. It sure looked performance and had good torque, but mediocre performance .

Performance cars that I have owned off the top of my head and not in order: 2 Mustang GTs, S-2000, T-Bird Turbo & T-Bird Super Coupe, Taurus SHO, MINI JCW and SLK AMG55.

No problem– I may have misunderstood yours!. 3.2 0 to 60 without rollout is about where the performance car is right now after the three power boosts. Yes there are no "performance motors" per se there are just performance settings on the dual motor inverters.
I believe Tesla for any car with the naming convention of Performance, give the 0-60 with rollout. Just a FYI. All others are without (I.e. AWD). And I think there were just 2 x 5%, free, performance increases. Then the $2k one. Which I understand to be totally worth it.

I’d happily pay $2k to get my stealth to 2.7 or somewhere near there.

Reactions: Antwan50
I believe Tesla for any car with the naming convention of Performance, give the 0-60 with rollout. Just a FYI. All others are without (I.e. AWD). And I think there were just 2 x 5%, free, performance increases. Then the $2k one. Which I understand to be totally worth it.

I’d happily pay $2k to get my stealth to 2.7 or somewhere near there.

My 3.2 figure is from my own Dragy, which shows both w/ and w/out rollout. I think there were three power boosts, although I could have that wrong, and one was minimal. The other two were advertised as 5% but a lot of data suggested it wasn't 5% torque boosting across the whole RPM range, but more limited. Wish MPP would do a re-dyno testing of the entire line so we could see the net results, which I suspect is just around 10%. I'd love to see 2.7 0-60 on the DMP cars, but I suspect that's more KW than the inverters can put out safely. Each half second is logarithmically more expensive than the last.

Completely true, while we wait for the Model Y my wife has a V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland and every time I drive it I feel like I’m driving a snail. Granted it’s a SUV but driving it really makes me appreciate my 3.

I’ve been in Florida the last 10 days for the holidays and have spent a bunch of time driving my dads 2003 Lexus GS430. I remember when he bought it new, thinking it was such an awesome car and pretty quick. Now I think it’s a complete disappointment and sooooooo slow. I am ruined forever.

And then yesterday, a nice e46 M3 cab was parked next to me and I remembered how at one point it was a dream car. Curious, I looked up its performance specs and ended up in a thread from 2006 on a BMW forum. Real world 0-60 times were in the low 5s, and people were taking about how the supercar bar was sub 4s.

And here we are today with a family saloon that can not only trounce the e46 M3 but qualify for that elusive sub 4s mark. All for around $50k.

What a time to be alive.

Are they single runs or are they their averages? Damn I got to get a Dragy. My finger is just itching on the mouse to hit buy. Also times are up to 3.92s. What are you saying 3.7s
These are single runs that owners posted.

if look back at my post #1487 you will see two different 0-60 numbers. One is truly from 0mph, and the other is 0-60(1ft). This allows the car to move 1ft before it starts recording and is the way magazines test, they are usually 0.2 seconds faster.

I’ve been in Florida the last 10 days for the holidays and have spent a bunch of time driving my dads 2003 Lexus GS430. I remember when he bought it new, thinking it was such an awesome car and pretty quick. Now I think it’s a complete disappointment and sooooooo slow. I am ruined forever.

And then yesterday, a nice e46 M3 cab was parked next to me and I remembered how at one point it was a dream car. Curious, I looked up its performance specs and ended up in a thread from 2006 on a BMW forum. Real world 0-60 times were in the low 5s, and people were taking about how the supercar bar was sub 4s.

And here we are today with a family saloon that can not only trounce the e46 M3 but qualify for that elusive sub 4s mark. All for around $50k.

What a time to be alive.
Well the Performance Model did sub 3s so the hyper cars better do sub 2s:eek:

Gotta say that the Taurus SHO is one of those things that a non car person wouldn’t understand. It’s like the 90’s Impala SS with the Corvette engine. I pointed one out to my S.O. the other day saying how cool they are and was met with a blank stare.

Such a great engine in the SHO, which was built by Yamaha, if I remember correctly.

As far as the Boost goes, I got it, I like it, but I still want more! (of course)

Performance cars that I have owned off the top of my head and not in order: 2 Mustang GTs, S-2000, T-Bird Turbo & T-Bird Super Coupe, Taurus SHO, MINI JCW and SLK AMG55.