Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If @Urbancowboy 's refund is a smooth process, then this will be a great way for more people to try and decide. Although if others have his same first impression about the Boost, then there may not be very many refunds. :)

Thanks Urbancowboy for doing this and sharing your experience.

You bet. FWIW, my Apple Card still shows the transaction as pending. Will update if that flips over to processed before the 48 hours are up.

Also, it’s FAST. The end.

Reactions: mrau and BrakeDome
Quick update. I bought it :) My wife was like, what are you waiting for? Only one right response to that question.

First of all, I don't know who in the world says they "butt purchased" an upgrade. You tap buy, then another webkit page loads where you hit buy again, and then you get the Apple Pay UI that requires me to tap the side button on my phone twice and auth with Face ID. It's impossible to accidentally purchase this.

To confirm, there is a refund option in the upgrade section of the app within the 'purchased' tab. It says you have 48 hours, and tapping it opens a simple form where you choose why and submit.

I went driving for a while tonight, and despite some rain and wet streets (and starting at only 70% SoC) I can say it is MUCH quicker. Pretty impressed so far. Looking forward to the weekend.

My strategy is to request a refund even if I'm completely sold to see how much I miss it after having it for a couple of days. That seems like a pretty good value test to me. If I can't get it out of my head, one tap and it's back. What a time to be alive... I figure it also can’t hurt to provide additional comments in the return form saying I want closer to P speeds and/or track mode.

View attachment 506582 View attachment 506583
I hope you have the opportunity to experience the full boost on dry roads, warm batteries and higher SoC... before asking for the refund. That way you'll have a true test when you go without.

"Other, please provide details".... I want even moar Powah!

Lol kidding not kidding. It may not be full P, but past 45 mph or so it's just about the same and it just feels more aggressive all around but I wouldn't be opposed to Tesla offering the full upgrade for another grand.

Last edited:
"Other, please provide details".... I want even moar Powah!

Lol kidding not kidding. It may not be full P, but past 45 mph or so it's just about the same and it just feels more aggressive all around but I wouldn't be opposed to Tesla offering the full upgrade for another grand.

Supercharged to 90%. It’s FAST. Biggest grins come from punching it between 20-50mph. Launch is a bit more aggressive but not where the value is IMHO. And for me, I have far more chances to punch from a roll than I do from a dead stop.

Supercharged to 90%. It’s FAST. Biggest grins come from punching it between 20-50mph. Launch is a bit more aggressive but not where the value is IMHO. And for me, I have far more chances to punch from a roll than I do from a dead stop.
So how do you like it so far after driving boosted car for couple days? Not worth the $2k like I mentioned but better than nothing if you have the money. It’s as you said more violent but not the “feeling” you would get with a performance.

So how do you like it so far after driving boosted car for couple days? Not worth the $2k like I mentioned but better than nothing if you have the money. It’s as you said more violent but not the “feeling” you would get with a performance.

What’s not to like? :) It’s very noticeable, and I think it is the same “feeling” you get with a performance from a roll. The DragTimes video highlighted this pretty well.

My plan is still to refund later today and see how much I miss it after having it and whether it’s $2k worth of longing. If I had to guess I’ll buy it again. With the market price of a stealth increasing last week, I think it's a good compromise for existing AWD owners. And I'm still hopeful this isn't the end of the road for AWD performance.

Also the credit card transaction did clear yesterday.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mrau
Hey everyone!
I am looking for details of this boost in 30-50 (mph) 60-80 improvements. I can't find anything.

Anyone know if someone has this sort of testing done?

Personally I'm not that concerned about raw off the line improvements but more so what this means for passing/overtaking.

Thanks!

Hey everyone!
I am looking for details of this boost in 30-50 (mph) 60-80 improvements. I can't find anything.

Personally I'm not that concerned about raw off the line improvements but more so what this means for passing/overtaking.

Thanks!

I don't have any hard numbers, but there is a huge improvement in the acceleration in the 30 to 60 MPH range. I can't notice any difference off the line.

Reactions: bizarro252
I don't have any hard numbers, but there is a huge improvement in the acceleration in the 30 to 60 MPH range. I can't notice any difference off the line.

I notice some difference off the line but not nearly as much as from 30+.

I just went and picked up my buddy who has an AWD and took him for a ride. Punched it at 35mph, and he started laughing. Tesla should offer a referral for upgrades...

My plan is still to refund later today and see how much I miss it after having it and whether it’s $2k worth of longing. If I had to guess I’ll buy it again. With the market price of a stealth increasing last week, I think it's a good compromise for existing AWD owners. And I'm still hopeful this isn't the end of the road for AWD performance.

Also the credit card transaction did clear yesterday.

Thanks for the update. I was expecting as much, as the Tesla Shop also charges your credit card as soon as you make a purchase, rather than when the product actually ships.

Here’s hoping the credit back to your account posts equally as quick as it was charged.

Hey everyone!

Thanks!
Courtesy of u/Wugz on reddit

Model 3 AWD+ (Acceleration Boost) tested from 0-160 km/h - Peak power up 11%, Peak torque up 12%, 0-60 mph in 3.78s : teslamotors

HXvhWVx.png

Ok update on the experience. I requested a refund, entered my comments, and double confirmed. They said to allow 3-5 days for the refund to be processed. Within minutes, the boost was removed from my car, and the option was again available to buy in the upgrade screen. So far no activity on my Apple Card.

Will update when I receive the refund. So far, it’s been very smooth, and it seems like they thought this one through in order to minimize contact rates.

Interested to see how it feels on my commute tomorrow...

613B510F-A8E0-4300-B420-23C02E6FF805.png
C3A05C3C-70A7-42CD-BF7E-90B4DF23AEFF.png
299FB0CC-F8D2-439E-A5B0-F28E68EDD381.png