Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wait, did I miss something??
Looks like the Stealth is now standard at the same price with a Performance upgrade offered as a no cost option.

Screen Shot 2020-01-30 at 7.13.18 AM.png

• Informative
Reactions: BrakeDome
Not only that- it now lists both the 162 speed and track mode as requiring the optional performance upgrade pack.

Meaning the "new" more expensive P3D- is functionally inferior to the older, cheaper, one.

P3D- is essentially JUST the 0-60 bump now if that's correct.

Not only that- it now lists both the 162 speed and track mode as requiring the optional performance upgrade pack.

Meaning the "new" more expensive P3D- is functionally inferior to the older, cheaper, one.

P3D- is essentially JUST the 0-60 bump now if that's correct.
If you select the "Performance Upgrade" the price doesn't change, so either there's no difference in price with or without the performance upgrade or there's an error on the website. My bet is that the website needs to be fixed.

Reactions: MagnusMako
Notice how the $2k acceleration boost came out basically when all the old cheap Stealths had been spoken for (end of quarter rush)? Tesla figured out that they were underpricing the Stealth. We can see now that all the "Why should I get this when I can just get a Stealth?" talk wasn't really relevant, they were basically gone by the time the acceleration boost came out.

I bet they will still sell a lot of Stealths even if it really doesn't come with track mode and costs the same as a P3D+. I highly doubt people with Stealths use track mode more than about 3 times, just like ICE cars with paddle shifters get a couple manual shifting sessions before the feature is forgotten.

They probably did a fleet query and knew that the track mode usage was low.

Reactions: Sherlo
....I bet they will still sell a lot of Stealths even if it really doesn't come with track mode and costs the same as a P3D+. I highly doubt people with Stealths use track mode more than about 3 times, just like ICE cars with paddle shifters get a couple manual shifting sessions before the feature is forgotten.

They probably did a fleet query and knew that the track mode usage was low.
Track Mode (or top end speed) would be last on the list BUT NO WAY I'm paying for 20"/Red Brembo's/Spoiler/10mm lowered/Al pedals and NOT getting them. One of my pet peeves and the main reason I didn't "force" myself into spending more on the Performance was Tesla's lack of differentiation on the Performance model. Look at all other manufactures and their performance variations and they have lots of visual cues to identify them.

Track Mode (or top end speed) would be last on the list BUT NO WAY I'm paying for 20"/Red Brembo's/Spoiler/10mm lowered/Al pedals and NOT getting them. One of my pet peeves and the main reason I didn't "force" myself into spending more on the Performance was Tesla's lack of differentiation on the Performance model. Look at all other manufactures and their performance variations and they have lots of visual cues to identify them.

That's a matter of taste. A lot of people don't care for all the badges and wings etc. In fact you often hear the opposite complaint, that manufacturers push out special editions which are more about looking high performing than actually being high performing.

There’s some leeway with credit card billing cycles where a month return window is probably fine and won’t result in me coming out of pocket for any cash.

I’m less worried about the return timing than the temptation to keep it if it’s really that noticeable :D
It’s slightly noticeable but not stomach inducing. Certainly not worth 2k but I had money to waste so can’t complain. To me it just feels like a “third” 5% bump nothing drastically noticeable even though it’s like a 11% increase in Powah!

Let us know how quickly you ask for a refund and how quickly you get it back.

If it's a 4-6 week $$$ return time, it's not worth it. If you get it back in like 1-2 days it's a nice option.

Over on Reddit someone said they bought it and the upgrade menu changed to offer a refund option. Not sure how long it takes to process the refund, but at least it appears they’ll make the process simple and automated. I also wonder if they even process the transaction until the 48 hours have passed to save transaction costs.

it’s going to be 65 and sunny here on Sunday, so I may give it a go.

Quick update. I bought it :) My wife was like, what are you waiting for? Only one right response to that question.

First of all, I don't know who in the world says they "butt purchased" an upgrade. You tap buy, then another webkit page loads where you hit buy again, and then you get the Apple Pay UI that requires me to tap the side button on my phone twice and auth with Face ID. It's impossible to accidentally purchase this.

To confirm, there is a refund option in the upgrade section of the app within the 'purchased' tab. It says you have 48 hours, and tapping it opens a simple form where you choose why and submit.

I went driving for a while tonight, and despite some rain and wet streets (and starting at only 70% SoC) I can say it is MUCH quicker. Pretty impressed so far. Looking forward to the weekend.

My strategy is to request a refund even if I'm completely sold to see how much I miss it after having it for a couple of days. That seems like a pretty good value test to me. If I can't get it out of my head, one tap and it's back. What a time to be alive... I figure it also can’t hurt to provide additional comments in the return form saying I want closer to P speeds and/or track mode.

EE2A2455-9E2D-4B5C-A194-C909C5697831.png
334B8206-DEAA-4D51-B24E-F6081239ED43.png

My strategy is to request a refund even if I'm completely sold to see how much I miss it after having it for a couple of days. That seems like a pretty good value test to me. If I can't get it out of my head, one tap and it's back. What a time to be alive... I figure it also can’t hurt to provide additional comments in the return form saying I want closer to P speeds and/or track mode.

Please let us know how the refund process goes, and whether you see a charge and then a credit back, or as you suggested, they hold on processing the transaction until after 48 hours.

if it’s noticeably faster as you have indicated, I’m guessing you’ll re-purchase within a week ;)