Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I officially timed my P3D+ last year at the Joliet Speedway Autobahn in Illinois @2.8 ( 0-60 mph )

Impressive, do you think there is any power left on the table in our P3s without programming in a harder launch and risking snapping the half shafts? If possible, I would rather see if they could extract a bit more power in the 70 -120mph range to help prevent high horsepower ICE based vehicles from chasing us down at the end of the 1/4 mile.

I hope they bump the performance again for the AWD+ in future free upgrades for those that bought it. Maybe this eventually goes to P- numbers. P- should really be a after purchase upgrade for AWD anyway, the amount of time “searching” for P- with employees has to be a huge waste of time.

If a 3P- is really just software and they are no differences in the inverters/motors and such then it should just be put on the menu for new orders and as you say make it available as downloadable content.

- Acceleration Boost for .5 sec drop for $2k.
- Performance Software upgrade, 1 sec drop and includes Track Mode for $5k.

I would still like to see Tesla add more options. More interior colors, sport seats, more wheel choices, mag ride suspension option with drive modes, heads up display. The Performance trims should also include more visual cues to differentiate, such as front chin spoiler, rear diffuser and a little more flare on the fenders to support wider tires. 265-275 width tires would provide a more aggressive stance.

Reactions: MagnusMako
I hope they bump the performance again for the AWD+ in future free upgrades for those that bought it. Maybe this eventually goes to P- numbers. P- should really be a after purchase upgrade for AWD anyway, the amount of time “searching” for P- with employees has to be a huge waste of time.

This is the big problem with this update. The AWD is obviously slowed down in software and probably have exactly the same potential as a P3D-. So now they unlock half that potential for 2K$. Later they can probably offer the rest for another 2K$ and maybe also another separate 2K$ unlock for track mode. Thats 6K$ upgrades for getting a stealth that is only 2K$ more if you buy it new..

Tesla needed to make money with the performance version. That's probably why they sold it so early.

Impressive, do you think there is any power left on the table in our P3s without programming in a harder launch and risking snapping the half shafts? If possible, I would rather see if they could extract a bit more power in the 70 -120mph range to help prevent high horsepower ICE based vehicles from chasing us down at the end of the 1/4 mile.

Good question.I don't know if there is any power left on the table in our P3's.

You have a great idea there in getting more power at 70-120. I wouldn't mind that at all.

If a 3P- is really just software and they are no differences in the inverters/motors and such then it should just be put on the menu for new orders and as you say make it available as downloadable content.

- Acceleration Boost for .5 sec drop for $2k.
- Performance Software upgrade, 1 sec drop and includes Track Mode for $5k.

I would still like to see Tesla add more options. More interior colors, sport seats, more wheel choices, mag ride suspension option with drive modes, heads up display. The Performance trims should also include more visual cues to differentiate, such as front chin spoiler, rear diffuser and a little more flare on the fenders to support wider tires. 265-275 width tires would provide a more aggressive stance.

P3's aren't just software according to Tesla.

Its a longer motor burn-in. That's a physical thing.

Tesla Model 3 dual motor performance version features both an AC induction and a permanent magnet motor - Electrek

You'd like to believe this, wouldn't you?

It's software. No proof that the motors have different hardware

No seriously, there is also no proof that the motors have the same hardware, even less proof of that as parts numbers are now different..........Meaning the honest answer is we don't know. There is clearly no proof that it's just a software difference, or also that there is a known hardware difference.

Last edited:
Is it safe to assume since all the additional power comes from the front motor the AWD did get the reject rear drive units?

Edit: No way I will buy this with the winter tires currently on my car. On the other hand since the additional power is in the front perhaps tire wear will be more even.
No. They simply reduce rear power output a bit to balance the acceleration. Too much front power in relation to rear may lead to torque steer I'm guessing that's why. Also, Induction motor up front is easier to increase power. Just add more electrons.

So I bought the Acceleration boost and tried it this morning. I had about 60% battery (charge at work usually, so don't have full battery in the morning), ambient temperature about 25F on the 18 inch wheels with the original tires. So far I would characterize it as a nice noticeable bump. It's definitely not the violent torque of the Performance models, but it is definitely an extra kick that you can feel under 60mph.

The verdict so far: it's a nice to have upgrade, with medium value for money (meets expectations, not a rip off, but not a slam dunk for $2k). Maybe I will feel it more when I charge it up higher at work today.

I will charge to 90% at work though and see if I notice it more. I probably will.

Last edited:
P3's aren't just software according to Tesla.

Its a longer motor burn-in. That's a physical thing.

It's not a physical difference

It just means they left it running longer on the bench.

No seriously, there is also no proof that the motors have the same hardware

Except yes, there is. And has been for quite a long time.

The actual physical part in an AWD and a P (prior to early this year) is the exact same part in the Tesla parts catalog

In early 2019 the AWD was changed to a different part- so it's no longer the same.

We don't know the details of what is different (though it's pretty clear the new part is both cheaper, and less capable of handling P power).

But prior to that change we know for a fact the parts were the same because Tesla explicitly tells you that via the parts catalog and owners having physically posted pics of their rear drive units in the other thread.

P3
There is clearly no proof that it's just a software difference

Except there is- and not just the above- but the numerous folks who showed up to buy a P3D-, got delivered an AWD, and had it changed into a P with just a software update... (all of these were AWD cars built with the "original" rear part number of course).

Reactions: Phlier
I officially timed my P3D+ last year at the Joliet Speedway Autobahn in Illinois @2.8 ( 0-60 mph )

You have a timeslip for this you can post?

I ask because it's significantly quicker than any P I've ever seen (and AFAIK significantly quicker than any posted here ever...which was 2.98 or something)... also curious what they used to measure it? (which could potentially explain why it's significantly different from everyone elses times)

This is the big problem with this update. The AWD is obviously slowed down in software and probably have exactly the same potential as a P3D-. So now they unlock half that potential for 2K$. Later they can probably offer the rest for another 2K$ and maybe also another separate 2K$ unlock for track mode. Thats 6K$ upgrades for getting a stealth that is only 2K$ more if you buy it new..

6k would still likely be cheaper than it'd cost a current AWD owner to trade his car in for a P3D- though even if they DID do that.

Which they probably won't because what they DID release suggests they're not interested in offering an update that only works for the older 980 drive unit AWD cars and then a different, lesser, update for the newer 990 DU cars.

Instead they released 1 update that works for all of them regardless of if they came with the older shared-with-P drive unit or the newer less capable one.

(and obviously if you're not an owner at all yet this upgrade makes 0 sense compared to just buying a P3D- in the first place for 2k more...but that's no help to those who already have cars- most of whom were buying when either the P3D- was a LOT more money than the AWD- like 10k more at the time- or who ordered during the time the P3D- wasn't being sold at all)

Last edited: