Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pro tip: I have stuck the dragy to the exterior of my A-pillar for best satellite reception. Correlation does not equal causation, however my best runs have been recorded this way. The magnets inside the dragy box are more than capable to hold it to the A-pillar.

I leave it in the dash console on a tray that I bought for it right under the phone chargers. It always gets good satellite coverage from all of my runs, really no issues. I have seen others place it on the apillar so maybe I will try that to see if I can get some better runs. Of course, I just swapped wheels/tires and suspension so will do some testing as is first, then place on the outside.

AGink5B.jpg

Best of 4 quick runs today. ~78% SOC. Dragy was just sitting in the cup holder in the center console. Didn't have time to secure it, or try different locations. With about 90% SOC and a better location for the dragy, I think I should hit 3.8 at very least, or join the 3.7 club.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
Hey Model 3 friends! AWD Model Y owner here.

I was just wondering something now that the acceleration boost is available for us and I'm hoping someone can help me skip reading 119 pages. Like some of you, I have an early VIN AWD with the 980 motor. Has their been any evidence of boosted M3s with the 980 being any faster than their boosted 990 counterparts? Thank you!

Hey Model 3 friends! AWD Model Y owner here.

I was just wondering something now that the acceleration boost is available for us and I'm hoping someone can help me skip reading 119 pages. Like some of you, I have an early VIN AWD with the 980 motor. Has their been any evidence of boosted M3s with the 980 being any faster than their boosted 990 counterparts? Thank you!

Short answer is no.

I finally got under 3.8s :D about 85% SOC, ~70°F. It's funny because overall conditions were nearly identical to my last run in the low 3.8's...same exact stretch of road and similar outside temp.

I'm thinking the difference has to be a warmer battery because I was taking some friends for a drive that haven't been in the car yet (frequently flooring it, and of course getting a lot of "daaaaaamn's")...that was about 10 minutes before the run.

Fun story - my business partner had a '13 viper a few years ago. Of course it was insanely fast. Well, one of the friends I took for a ride had also taken a few rides in the viper. He told me it was VERY similar acceleration.

I drove the viper all the time, and it is similar, albeit with a definite edge going to the viper. I just remember cruising in 1st gear and punching it around 20mph - absolutely neck breaking. I think the 0-60 time is around 3.3 - 3.5s (without rollout)...so my M3 with boost is close, but not quite there (I'm pretty sure the P would be right on par). Anyway, the viper was a 600hp $90k monster, so being so closely compared with that car in performance is a great feeling, and a pretty crazy accomplishment by Tesla.

09-25_20:37:19.jpg

Looks like Y Dual Motor/AWD owners are getting some Acceleration Boost love. Of course the Acceleration Boost puts the Y about the same as a NON Acceleration Boosted 3, but still a nice option for them.

Tesla launches $2,000 'Acceleration Boost' upgrade on Model Y - Electrek
The article estimates are quite conservative. On my Dragy I measured 0-60 in 3.9s, quarter 12.26 @ 113mph. LR AWD Model Y.

68% SoC, battery not quite warmed up. I might be able to shave off another 0.1s.

Attachments

• 20200927_175700.jpg
    20200927_175700.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 20200927_190100.jpg
    20200927_190100.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot_20200927-180138_dragy.jpg
    Screenshot_20200927-180138_dragy.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot_20200928-074821_dragy.jpg
    Screenshot_20200928-074821_dragy.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 38
because the RWD is already pretty high in ratio to what output it can do. When you have an AWD they nerf the RWD output, hence giving them room to add some of it back via a boost.

The RWD motor, like the AWD motors (980 version) are definitely outputting 40+ kW less than the P3 980 rear.. For the AWD Boost upgrade, the power isn't added back to the rear (its actually dropped about 5-10kw) its added to the front motor. Both motors are still 30-40kW underpowered vs what the P3 gets.

Just traded my LR RWD in for a LR AWD, so i'm officially in the AWD club now!

My mods for my RWD included a wrap and MPP coilovers.

Just curious (though i'm aware of the bias for speed here), but what would you all go with FIRST between getting coilovers again (my RWD set isn't compatible with the AWD unfortunately) OR this performance boost?

Both will each cost around the same price, but I want to spread out the purchases for these about three months apart.

I'm inclined to go with the coilovers first because I think that I want to have a few months of the stock speed, and then upgrade...this way the feeling of the increase in power is maximized and noticeable when I get it as opposed to getting it now.

Reactions: anti
Just traded my LR RWD in for a LR AWD, so i'm officially in the AWD club now!

My mods for my RWD included a wrap and MPP coilovers.

Just curious (though i'm aware of the bias for speed here), but what would you all go with FIRST between getting coilovers again (my RWD set isn't compatible with the AWD unfortunately) OR this performance boost?

Both will each cost around the same price, but I want to spread out the purchases for these about three months apart....

I would say if you are going to track then go with coilovers first. But if you are looking for on the street most fun/feeling then AB first.