Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Boost Purchased

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is undergoing a significant 2021 update for all their models, taking advantage of growing economies of scale and manufacturing efficiencies. See these electrek links:
Tesla boosts Model Y range - Electrek
Tesla officially launches Model 3 2021 refresh with more range and features - Electrek

But this is not a software upgrade right? It's hardware so any MY owners won't be able to ever take advantage of the 326 mile range short of getting a new MY in the future?

Last night Tesla sneaked into my garage and upgraded my Y
ZaPMLtJ.jpg

Yipee

• Funny
Reactions: joh01652
There was NO UPGRADE that I saw, I just went out to my car and clicked on the SW tab and there it was...... so it happened in the last 24 hours because I was showing a friend my car and specifically looked at that tab to show him the Acceleration Boost upgrade and how it worked, so at 9:30 yesterday morning it displayed 4.3 seconds, this morning it reads 4.2. as I said I'm still on v 40.3

How long did it take before you saw the upgrade in your car? I upgraded 2 hours ago and my phone account shows the upgrade but the car has not upgraded yet. The car is plugged in on Wifi

I did the boost this morning. I checked my car 5 minutes after buying it and "sport" was there.

I expected the biggest difference to be in the 0-30 range, but it felt like 30-60 had the biggest boost. I did a couple of WOT starts and was surprised to see zero tearing on my tires afterwards. Crazy fast 0-60 without shredding the tires - good stuff. It feels like there is plenty of room to boost 0-20 if they wanted to.

I'd love to see a rolling test between the new 0.6 sec boost AWD and a performance model.

How long did it take before you saw the upgrade in your car? I upgraded 2 hours ago and my phone account shows the upgrade but the car has not upgraded yet. The car is plugged in on Wifi
For me I think it updated pretty much instantaneously (must be a simple software locked feature). I received no notification that it occurred. I just saw "sport" mode instead of "standard" mode under my driving tab.

I did the boost this morning. I checked my car 5 minutes after buying it and "sport" was there.

I expected the biggest difference to be in the 0-30 range, but it felt like 30-60 had the biggest boost. I did a couple of WOT starts and was surprised to see zero tearing on my tires afterwards. Crazy fast 0-60 without shredding the tires - good stuff. It feels like there is plenty of room to boost 0-20 if they wanted to.

I'd love to see a rolling test between the new 0.6 sec boost AWD and a performance model.
I agree, I feel like the car was already fast off the line but with boost it just keeps flying, well worth it!

But this is not a software upgrade right? It's hardware so any MY owners won't be able to ever take advantage of the 326 mile range short of getting a new MY in the future?
I can't say for certain 100%, but yes, I think you are right in that it is hardware/battery improvement, so my Y I got this June with 316 mi won't ever get the increased range unless I buy another one. Personally I couldn't care less, I travel for work and my current 316 mi range works awesome for me as it is.

If you do multiple runs back to back and the battery is warmed up, you may see more difference 0-30. I noticed my first aggressive run the 0-30 would be slower than normal but once the battery is warmed up and the SoC is > 70%, the speed difference 0-30 is noticeable.
I can't say for certain 100%, but yes, I think you are right in that it is hardware/battery improvement, so my Y I got this June with 316 mi won't ever get the increased range unless I buy another one. Personally I couldn't care less, I travel for work and my current 316 mi range works awesome for me as it is.
OTA updates are trickling out for the 326 range.

Software for range improvements - release notes for 2020.40.7 -

Improved Efficiency
Your car's range has increased with new software that improves the efficiency of the motors and the climate control system.

Note: These changes do not impact acceleration or overall climate control performance.

Other than playing with it, impressing your friends, etc. it seems to me for "normal" driving, its use would be to allow faster passing and lane maneuvering on highways. So if you are traveling at between 50 and 75 MPH and you need to accelerate 25 MPH rapidly to complete a passing maneuver safely:

0 - 60 mph
Normal = 4.8 sec
Acceleration boost upgrade 4.2 or 4.3 seconds.

Assuming the acceleration is linear:

60 mph/4.8 sec = 12.5 mph/sec
60 mph/4.2 sec = 14.2 mph/sec

Targeting an increased speed of 25mph:

Normal = 25/12.5 = 2.0 seconds

Accel Boost = 25/14.2 = 1.76 seconds

So you could reach the targeted speed 0.24 seconds faster with acceleration boost.

You could complete the maneuver without the acceleration boost in the same time by targeting a slightly higher speed.

Now I have been driving a 2010 Prius for the past 10 years so the acceleration of the "Normal" LR Y left me with an insufficient supply of expletives when I tested the Model Y's passing performance driving it back from the dealership.

So, my question is, in "real-world" driving, does acceleration boost matter?

Bought the boost to try over the weekend. It's stupid fast. Tested in a huge empty parking lot and got 3.9, which is nuts (faster than a $99k Porsche 911 Carrera).

Last night took a reckless midnight drive around hairpin mountain roads, spooking a dozen deer (three crossed in front of me). What can I say, it's very fun.

And useful. Two hours on the highway today, I had no trouble weaving through tractor trailer traffic.

But $2k on a credit card? Can't justify it. As part of initial car loan? Absolutely. Just not Xmas money. Returned it just now.

Maybe someday. Or maybe I just saved my life (or some deer).