Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Boost Purchased

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Other manufacturers de-tune engines to avoid overlap with a higher priced vehicle. The only difference is, it's a flip of a switch in a Tesla to unlock it. Tesla isn't really doing anything different, it's just easier for them to capitalize monetarily on it.

If the LR was 3.9s from the factory, the MYP sales would suffer. Obviously LR owners would love having it this way but it's more about marketing and sales.

Other manufacturers de-tune engines to avoid overlap with a higher priced vehicle. The only difference is, it's a flip of a switch in a Tesla to unlock it. Tesla isn't really doing anything different, it's just easier for them to capitalize monetarily on it.

If the LR was 3.9s from the factory, the MYP sales would suffer. Obviously LR owners would love having it this way but it's more about marketing and sales.

"Product differentiation" is what some call it. You'll find it on German luxury cars for example. The super low end 3 series BMW is basically running lower boost than the next step up. It's just a software difference. Or the "overboost" button on some German cars.

Agreed! That's why I am not complaining although I don't like it :). Well, if you look at every company, not only the car industry, they are doing a similar scheme :)

Reactions: pt19713
Don't buy it. No one is forcing you. If you want top-end performance, then buy the P model.

- My white interior and seats cost extra. The car comes with seats, right?
- My MSM paint cost extra. The car comes with paint, right?

People have been modifying and upgrading cars since forever. It's wanted and expected. If Tesla doesn't provide it, someone else will. I'm pretty sure if there's a way of getting more perf at the risk of damaging the drive-train and battery some enthusiasts will sign-up.

that’s exactly how i feel. very well said!
there is a marketing/pricing scheme in their planning stage to hold out goodies from their customer, knowing that we will pay $extra$ for it.

Why is this different than any other option a car manufacturer provides? Not everyone wants, or wants to pay the difference, for something like this... so why would they provide it out the gate? And for free? There is, as you say, a Performance version right out of the gate for those that need to have it. Yes, this is absolutely a money making ploy for Tesla. But so is everything else they produce and every other manufacturer produces. You shouldn't feel cheated, but that is your own choice...

Odds are you'll get free Supercharging for a year. That wasn't offered until this last push for EOY production, so take that as a consolation. I think it is great and I am happy people are getting some benes, but I won't be crying about it.

SS

i believe the performance of the stock MY LR is fast already and 0-60 at 4.8 seconds. i believe what he was saying that the performance upgrade should have been the base performance for the MY LR at 4.2 vs the 4.8. for instance what are the base numbers of the Model S and M3 dual motors? i bet they are faster than the MY LR dual motors. i agree with making the base the performance you would get for 2k and should have been included.

I just worry if we keep falling into this Tesla's behavior, we encourage Tesla just keep releasing "half-bake" EV, then charge more if you want the other half.
Again, no complaint here, if I decide "half-bake" is good enough, then it's my choice to pay for it.

I see what you're saying... you're totally right, I do worry they'll go the way of Audi and others... like Audi only gives you 201 hp with the A5 when the S5 has 349 hp! We should never have let them get comfortable with that when they could have just delivered the vehicle with 349 hp... :(

i believe the performance of the stock MY LR is fast already and 0-60 at 4.8 seconds. i believe what he was saying that the performance upgrade should have been the base performance for the MY LR at 4.2 vs the 4.8. for instance what are the base numbers of the Model S and M3 dual motors? i bet they are faster than the MY LR dual motors. i agree with making the base the performance you would get for 2k and should have been included.

This has been discussed a lot... They would then encroach on P sales out of the gate, and make even less money in the end. The P is maxed out now, and probably won't/can't get any bump in performance without jeopardizing components. They can't take the P down any further without consequences that outweigh benefits. The vast majority, I believe, LR owners already believe the LR is plenty fast enough (just as you have said) and don't want any more initial speed/wouldn't want to pay any more for it coming that way stock. Which is what Tesla would have to do (charge more) in order to offset the loss in P sales to compensate. The offer of AB on the LR Y is a good middle ground and already has people questioning a P if it costs 10k more. For me, 2k is a steal for what it does.

A company that sabotages itself doesn't stay around very long... I realize everyone wants something for nothing and their pony to boot. But that is unrealistic and bad business. Until it isn't. In the case of Tesla, they often roll out incentives (price drops, free SC, etc.), so maybe wait around for it to happen with AB (doubtful), and while you do I will wave at you in the rear view mirror when my wife blows past you... :cool:

SS

Don't buy it. No one is forcing you. If you want top-end performance, then buy the P model.

don’t get me wrong, i totally get it that tesla is a company and they do whatever it takes to maximize profit.

Unlike traditional ICE car manufacturers, more power usually comes with higher price hardware, and more cooling and bigger brake to deal with the extra power, which they charge a premium to customer that wants that upgrade.

Tesla is doing the same game, except it is all in software!! Imagine the margin they are making!!!

Yes, i ‘ll bitch about it and I’ll probably buy the boost package eventually, too!

And i would be a lot happier if the package is $499!

Reactions: RT-3
Having bought the upgrade and driving it around for the past week, I can say that no, in "real world" driving, acceleration boost does not matter. There is nothing more practical about going 4.2s 0-60 in a cross-over vehicle lmao. I see this as more of a fun upgrade for sure. That being said, I have absolutely no regrets with my purchase. I can still drive this car "normally" for daily driving, but now I get the added freedom of blowing by Macan's and Cayenne's whenever I want.

what’s life without fun!

I would have sprung for the unicorn stealth Model Y, but Tesla decided to kill it off. Having driven Uber high performance cars for decades, I knew at this stage of my life I didn’t want the 21” low profile tires/wheels, stiffer suspension, expensive brakes, spoiler and lowered suspension. But I did want the acceleration and softer suspension and tires/wheels less prone to pot hole damage. So I bought the LR AWD Y, but the minute Tesla offered the AB upgrade I pulled the trigger. My DRAGY numbers indicate I can get better than 4.2 seconds every time I want. Saw a few 4.0x pills. Worth every penny. But I still would buy a stealth Y if offered.

Also, AB isn't a zero-cost to Tesla. Besides the software development costs, there will be some additional warranty work for them.

Fleet wide, components on the AB cars will break at a slightly higher rate than the non-AB cars. That's just how it goes when you stress the system more (same for the P model, which is part of the extra $$ for those).

Tesla is still making $$ on the AB (and P) of course. And I'm really happy with my AB purchase, haha!!

Competition is heating up! Hopefully the Mustang Mach-e and ID-4 will shake things up and spur some enhancements to keep the Y a step ahead. They appear to be VERY compelling choices in this segment - especially with the tax incentive. Tesla isn't known to let others steal the spotlight for long on their turf. Unlocking more power and remapping power delivery for faster 0-60 times is one way to renew interest. This was done twice to the model 3 before they decided to monetize it with AB.

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
has the actual hp boost number ever been tested or stated? Havent been able to find it in searches.

I'm measuring 509 hp, 401 lb-ft torque with the Scan My Tesla app.

Attachments

• 20201220_080442.jpg
    20201220_080442.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 105
Reactions: GeezerSquid
I'm measuring 509 hp, 401 lb-ft torque with the Scan My Tesla app.
Motortrend offers different HP and Torque specs for the Performance Model Y:

Tesla Model Y Performance First Drive Review: Putting Europe on Notice

"456 hp and 497 lb-ft of torque on tap from its front and rear motors, that is almost zero sacrifice (except $8 grand from your wallet) for an additional 72 horsepower."

456 - 72 = 384 hp (384 hp is exactly what Car & Driver published for the Long Range Model Y. Torque for the Long Range Model Y was spec'd at 376 ft. lbs)

2020 Performance Model Y: 456 hp and 497 ft. lbs (Motortrend)
2020 Long Range Model Y with AB: 424 hp (+ 40 hp, 10.5% hp over stock), torque not specified. (Source: unknown)
2020 Long Range Model Y: 384 hp and 376 ft. lbs (Car & Driver)

Your results may differ.

Motortrend offers different HP and Torque specs for the Performance Model Y:

Tesla Model Y Performance First Drive Review: Putting Europe on Notice

"456 hp and 497 lb-ft of torque on tap from its front and rear motors, that is almost zero sacrifice (except $8 grand from your wallet) for an additional 72 horsepower."

456 - 72 = 384 hp (384 hp is exactly what Car & Driver published for the Long Range Model Y. Torque for the Long Range Model Y was spec'd at 376 ft. lbs)

2020 Performance Model Y: 456 hp and 497 ft. lbs (Motortrend)
2020 Long Range Model Y with AB: 424 hp (+ 40 hp, 10.5% hp over stock), torque not specified. (Source: unknown)
2020 Long Range Model Y: 384 hp and 376 ft. lbs (Car & Driver)

Your results may differ.
Tesla understates their power figures.
If you look at the quarter mile times, there's no way a 4400lb crossover with 380 hp and lb-ft of torque is running 12.8s.