Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Boost Purchased

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone tell me how many kw I should be seeing as the power output after purchasing?

I just purchased and went for a drive, but my battery was fairly cold and I only had 45% charge so I'm not sure what number I should be looking for ideally.

I use Teslamate and when looking at a recent drive I only see 315 kW max which doesn't seem right to me but again it could be due to the temp and the SOC.

Can someone tell me how many kw I should be seeing as the power output after purchasing?

I just purchased and went for a drive, but my battery was fairly cold and I only had 45% charge so I'm not sure what number I should be looking for ideally.

I use Teslamate and when looking at a recent drive I only see 315 kW max which doesn't seem right to me but again it could be due to the temp and the SOC.

From everything I've seen you really need SOC at like 70%+ for max performance and warm to hot (like 80F + temps). Now performance doesn't drop off a cliff at lower levels and temps, but it's not going to be maximum. That said, Tesla has never stated the horsepower figures for the Model Y, only the zero to 60 time. 315 kW would be over 420 horsepower, which would be awesome for a car like that...

• Helpful
Reactions: meh_

at 80%+ SoC you should see around 162 kW from the front, 218 kW from the rear (or roughly 509 hp). I've also gotten 155.5 kW front, 224.5 kW rear at 73% SoC (510 hp), so there's some slight variation on the motor outputs. I'll eventually do a few more tests at 40%, 50%, etc but it's winter and my previous tests were done in the Fall and it was easier to get the battery pack temp up to 80-85F.

• Informative
Reactions: mark95476 and meh_
at 80%+ SoC you should see around 162 kW from the front, 218 kW from the rear (or roughly 509 hp). I've also gotten 155.5 kW front, 224.5 kW rear at 73% SoC (510 hp), so there's some slight variation on the motor outputs. I'll eventually do a few more tests at 40%, 50%, etc but it's winter and my previous tests were done in the Fall and it was easier to get the battery pack temp up to 80-85F.

Just went for another ride at 72% charged and a warmer battery since it had been charging for a few hours - and boy it feels faster.

I checked Teslamate and it looks like I maxed out at 348kW several times.

I was initially a bit blah about it but I think I'm sold now, especially if I can expect a little more power in warmer weather and higher charge.

kwh.jpg

Purchased my LR AWD back in June and have been watching this thread and waiting for a nice warm weather weekend in the northeast to test out the AB (in case I wanted to return). Pulled the trigger this weekend and couldn't be happier, definitely keeping it!

I was expecting a bump in the initial performance, but it was noticeable all the way up to about 50mph. Nine months in and it feels like I have a new car!

Purchased my LR AWD back in June and have been watching this thread and waiting for a nice warm weather weekend in the northeast to test out the AB (in case I wanted to return). Pulled the trigger this weekend and couldn't be happier, definitely keeping it!

I was expecting a bump in the initial performance, but it was noticeable all the way up to about 50mph. Nine months in and it feels like I have a new car!
You should've bought it 9 months ago ;)

New LR owner, just bought it and will try it out tomorrow... Question about a comment a few pages ago that said something like “0-30 difference is most noticeable when soc is 90% and battery is warmed up.”

How does one know if the battery is warm? Is there a way to warm it up manually (and is this the same as when people say to “precondition the battery for charging”)?

New LR owner, just bought it and will try it out tomorrow... Question about a comment a few pages ago that said something like “0-30 difference is most noticeable when soc is 90% and battery is warmed up.”

How does one know if the battery is warm? Is there a way to warm it up manually (and is this the same as when people say to “precondition the battery for charging”)?
Yes precondition. When I tried it yesterday my commute took me from 80%-55%. I felt the difference across the entire range. Also the commute used the same amount of charge prior to the purchase.

Reactions: M109Rider and huno
The battery doesn't have to be that warm. At a 65 degree (F) battery temperature, I've run a 4.1 second 0-60. When it's much colder, it is slower, but it doesn't get much faster when hotter. If the charge is above 50%, and the battery isn't cold, it's nearly full power as well (475 HP). If the charge is low and the battery is below 40F, I can really start to feel a difference.

One thing I've learned since getting an OBD-II adapter and scanmytesla, my subjective seat-of-my-pants dyno is very inaccurate. At a 20% charge, my car feels dog slow, yet it ran a 6.1 second 0-60. (It is pretty slow at highway speeds though.)

Reactions: M109Rider
The battery doesn't have to be that warm. At a 65 degree (F) battery temperature, I've run a 4.1 second 0-60. When it's much colder, it is slower, but it doesn't get much faster when hotter. If the charge is above 50%, and the battery isn't cold, it's nearly full power as well (475 HP). If the charge is low and the battery is below 40F, I can really start to feel a difference.

One thing I've learned since getting an OBD-II adapter and scanmytesla, my subjective seat-of-my-pants dyno is very inaccurate. At a 20% charge, my car feels dog slow, yet it ran a 6.1 second 0-60. (It is pretty slow at highway speeds though.)
4.1? I was expecting it to be the same speed as a dual motor 3. My butt dyno was telling me it felt quicker. Glad to hear it is a bit quicker after all.

Reactions: ScoobyDoo82
Yes precondition. When I tried it yesterday my commute took me from 80%-55%. I felt the difference across the entire range. Also the commute used the same amount of charge prior to the purchase.
Nice, thanks! Took it for a quick drive to the office w/acceleration boost. It feels super-snappy now, like this is the way the car was meant to be from the get-go! Passing cars on the freeway is near-instant and fun! Definitely not getting a refund :)

Reactions: pt19713
My wife, who has been driving my Stealth 3 a lot during this pandemic, was really unimpressed with the Y AWD's acceleration. She is now demanding that we purchase AB when we pick up her Y next week. I should start monitoring her driving behavior....
You just made so many guys jealous! My wife would kick my ass if I spent $2k for something not really necessary. We have a great relationship and believe in full transparency. We can afford the $2k, but could also use $2k for much more important things... then again, she doesn’t drive a Tesla and has no idea about what we are talking about. Maybe instead of paying for it myself and getting in trouble, I can ask my boss to buy it for me - it would help ensure that I’m late a lot less. Doubt he’ll go for it though.

• Funny
Reactions: MrWattson and TJ73