Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceptable Imbalance for cells

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the acceptable imbalance for the cells before the car will stop running?

What is the average imbalance on 85's or 90kwh packs
It's definitely not that easy answer as the acceptable imbalance will be bound to several variables such as temperature, bust the most important is SOC I believe. The thing is, when I have 100% or close to 100% charged, the imbalance is only <10mV, but when the battery is nearly discharged, it goes up to almost 100mV and all those values are OK, no errors triggered. This is caused by the little bit different capacities of the cells (ok, I mean cell groups) which is also still changing due to their aging. And the BMS is trying to balance them when SOC close to 100% because of obvious reasons. So basically if you have no errors given by BMS, you should be OK.

Reactions: aerodyne
It's definitely not that easy answer as the acceptable imbalance will be bound to several variables such as temperature, bust the most important is SOC I believe. The thing is, when I have 100% or close to 100% charged, the imbalance is only <10mV, but when the battery is nearly discharged, it goes up to almost 100mV and all those values are OK, no errors triggered. This is caused by the little bit different capacities of the cells (ok, I mean cell groups) which is also still changing due to their aging. And the BMS is trying to balance them when SOC close to 100% because of obvious reasons. So basically if you have no errors given by BMS, you should be OK.

Thank you for detailed explanation

Reactions: ResHacker
In general, the BMS in the MS packs calibrates and balances all the time.

There is NEVER a need to go to 100%, and doing so will NEVER benefit your pack.

If for some reason, your pack is out of calibration, it will adjust as needed should you approach the bottom end of pack capacity.

Fact:. 22MS LR, 2 months stored unplugged with starting SoC at 50%.

Recharged to 50% range unchanged. Charged a few days later to 70%, range went down half a mile.

Reactions: EstebanP212