Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accident averted, but that leaves more unanswered questions.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
first touch the car icon, then touch the bell

this will give you all the alerts

IMG_4346.jpg

Not conclusive of course, but if you did not manually engage the brake, perhaps because FSD already was, it would explain the rest - that's "working as designed". FSD has demonstrated the ability to very, very quickly decide/signal/engage/accelerate a lane change when the situation warrants.
I did apply brakes, what I'm unsure now is if I relieved it once the car almost stopped with few feet to spare which allowed FSD to take further action. Thats the only explanation if FSD is not allowed to override manual breaking.

I'm still trying to sort out the basics of your scenario.

As best I understand it you were running on auto-pilot seemingly thru stoplight controlled intersections with cross and turning traffic, from which one car jumped lanes into your path of travel.

Assuming you were on auto-pilot, um, that's not really intended for those kinds of traffic conditions - basic AP does not stop for lights or cross traffic - it is best described as a fancy traffic aware cruise control which can keep you in your lane on a highway and maintain pace for the car in front of you.

Several comments including your own mention FSD, which is an entirely different driving control stack.

In both cases, applying the brakes or grabbing the wheel disengages the system. None of that quite lines up with the story, which is... weird.

I'm still trying to sort out the basics of your scenario.

As best I understand it you were running on auto-pilot seemingly thru stoplight controlled intersections with cross and turning traffic, from which one car jumped lanes into your path of travel.

Assuming you were on auto-pilot, um, that's not really intended for those kinds of traffic conditions - basic AP does not stop for lights or cross traffic - it is best described as a fancy traffic aware cruise control which can keep you in your lane on a highway and maintain pace for the car in front of you.

Several comments including your own mention FSD, which is an entirely different driving control stack.

In both cases, applying the brakes or grabbing the wheel disengages the system. None of that quite lines up with the story, which is... weird.
Basic AP does not stop for red light but it does slam on the brakes if a vehicles in crossing across you

Could it have been "Obstacle-aware Acceleration", although it seems unlikely since obstacle was in front of car? OP, do you have that enabled?
Obstacle aware acceleration is designed to prevent you from accelerating into something in front of you.

Per Tesla: Obstacle-Aware Acceleration is designed to operate only when all of these conditions are simultaneously met:
  • Drive or Reverse is engaged.
  • Vehicle is stopped or traveling less than 10 mph (16 km/h).
  • Vehicle detects an object in its immediate driving path.

It is surprising that it is slamming on the brakes when it sees vehicles running a red light and attempting to save me?

I'll try one more time.

Basic Auto Pilot is a fancy cruise control and auto steering function which is designed to keep you in your lane on the highway while being aware of the car and traffic in front of you. It is not designed to see stop signs, traffic lights, cross traffic, intersections, etc.

If you use AP to roll thru intersections, it might slam on the brakes, or not depending if it thinks your lane of the "highway" and "traffic in front" of you are safe or not. It will indeed try to avoid collisions if it sees cars in your path. It will also run red lights, stop signs, and not give right of way to oncoming cross traffic.

Basic Auto Pilot is a fancy cruise control and auto steering function which is designed to keep you in your lane on the highway while being aware of the car and traffic in front of you. It is not designed to see stop signs, traffic lights, cross traffic, intersections, etc.
I have the $15,000 package whatever you call it, and is not yet accepted into FSD Beta. Lets call that XYZ to avoid any confusion of me calling it by wrong name. It does a lot more for me than you mention.
- It stops at RED and Yellow Lights.
- It slows down on green lights asking me for confirmation to proceed.
- If I tap the accelerator as soon as I see the message that a light is coming ahead, it proceeds without stopping.
- If it sees another car cross the intersection, it follows it without stopping or asking for confirmation.
- It automatically switches lanes as needed on highways.
- It stiffens the steering if I try to manually change lanes but there is a car in my blindspot. That's a cue for me to not change.
- It gives me verbal alert when stopped on a light and the light turns green
- It auto corrects if I drift the lane.

What it does not do:
- If my navigation says I need to turn, it doesn't take me to the right lane. It does not even slow down. It always tries to go straight
- Overspeeds exactly at the wrong places (near a school, etc)
- Annoyingly takes very long to go from 0 to posted speed limit after stopping completely at an intersection.
- Takes me randomly off of auto steer without much notice, and suddenly I'm responsible for keeping it in the lane. And then when I drift, warn me.
- Asks me to keep my hands on steering when I already do so.
- Disengage from AP cos it thinks I'm not holding the steering.
- When i try to apply small force, disengage cos it thinks i want to override
- many more, but I'm still willing to give it a chance.

Where my problem is:
- No clear guidance on how it will behave in case of emergencies. Unlike the above lists, I don't have the appetite to learn THAT by trial and error.

I have the $15,000 package whatever you call it, and is not yet accepted into FSD Beta. Lets call that XYZ to avoid any confusion of me calling it by wrong name. It does a lot more for me than you mention.
- It stops at RED and Yellow Lights.
- It slows down on green lights asking me for confirmation to proceed.
- If I tap the accelerator as soon as I see the message that a light is coming ahead, it proceeds without stopping.
- If it sees another car cross the intersection, it follows it without stopping or asking for confirmation.
- It automatically switches lanes as needed on highways.
- It stiffens the steering if I try to manually change lanes but there is a car in my blindspot. That's a cue for me to not change.
- It gives me verbal alert when stopped on a light and the light turns green
- It auto corrects if I drift the lane.

What it does not do:
- If my navigation says I need to turn, it doesn't take me to the right lane. It does not even slow down. It always tries to go straight
- Overspeeds exactly at the wrong places (near a school, etc)
- Annoyingly takes very long to go from 0 to posted speed limit after stopping completely at an intersection.
- Takes me randomly off of auto steer without much notice, and suddenly I'm responsible for keeping it in the lane. And then when I drift, warn me.
- Asks me to keep my hands on steering when I already do so.
- Disengage from AP cos it thinks I'm not holding the steering.
- When i try to apply small force, disengage cos it thinks i want to override
- many more, but I'm still willing to give it a chance.

Where my problem is:
- No clear guidance on how it will behave in case of emergencies. Unlike the above lists, I don't have the appetite to learn THAT by trial and error.

My information was very clear that I'm talking about what Basic Autopilot can do, since that's what appears to have been in use in the described scenario.

Yes, there is a thing called Full Self Driving - it does much more, and as best I can tell was not involved here. It is quite likely FSD would have handled the situation differently than AP, but it WAS NOT IN USE since you specifically say you were using auto-pilot, and bringing it up just confuses everyone.

If you were actually navigating on FSD, you should explain that, and clarify the inconsistency that you also said you refused the FSD Beta.

Last edited:
I don't know that I totally agree with you... What about AEB, I would say that that falls under the definition of ADAS and I can tell you for sure that it will still activate when the brake pedal is being pressed and cannot be overridden. Also, while the car may "instantly" know that there was an open lane, I am unsure as to whether it would bypass its normal safety limits on WHEN to change lanes. What I mean by that is that when you press the turn signal in AP or if AP(NOA/FSD Beta) decides to make a lane change on a completely empty road/highway, it does NOT instantly change lanes. There is a delay and that delay is variable even when there is no other traffic around. Can the car bypass whatever that delay is in some forward collision scenario, sure, would/should it be allowed too, not necessarily if that normal lane change delay is due to any kind of reanalysis of its situational awareness.
I rear ended someone a while back in my 3. The car in front of me slammed their brakes and I rear ended them.
I messaged Tesla and asked why AEB didn’t come on. Tesla investigated and called me by phone and explained to me what they saw from the cars electronic data. They said I pressed the brakes which overrides AEB from activating. Can anyone confirm that by pressing the brakes it will override and prevent AEB from kicking in on its own?

I rear ended someone a while back in my 3. The car in front of me slammed their brakes and I rear ended them.
I messaged Tesla and asked why AEB didn’t come on. Tesla investigated and called me by phone and explained to me what they saw from the cars electronic data. They said I pressed the brakes which overrides AEB from activating. Can anyone confirm that by pressing the brakes it will override and prevent AEB from kicking in on its own?
It says in the manual what AEB does and what turns it off.
Turning the wheel
Pressing the brakes
etc etc
As soon as AEB has an indication you got this, it backs off. Its there to help an inattentive driver, not override a driver.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-11 at 08.51.13.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-11 at 08.51.13.png
    42.8 KB · Views: 37
I did not record the dashcam, will tesla still be able to dig into it and let me know what happened? How do I contact them? I only see a way to create a service request in the app?
Tesla probably could look at the car's telemetry and determine what happened. But, they won't - at least not for you.

A service request is not for requesting Tesla to perform technical analysis of your drives. I would just be happy that everything turned out well.

Reactions: KArnold
I did not record the dashcam, will tesla still be able to dig into it and let me know what happened? How do I contact them? I only see a way to create a service request in the app?
It may be too long ago, but they don't really offer it as a service.
For your case it sounds like the various passive safety features kicked in rather than AP/FSD.
Hitting the brakes always disengages AP etc, but passive safety stays working - assuming they haven't been disabled in settings ;)

I created a service ticket after my rear ender via the app. It took 2 months for Tesla to call me after I sent a few reminders via the chat window that they started thru the app. On the phone call, they told me the speed I was going, the sequence of actions that took place, when I pressed the brake, the amount of pressure I applied on the brakes, confirmed no AEB engaged, and then the impact.

There can only be one Master. Either Tesla or the driver. You took control by stepping on the brakes. You decided to be the Master. Tesla stepped off to the side.

Obstacle aware acceleration is designed to prevent you from accelerating into something in front of you.

Per Tesla: Obstacle-Aware Acceleration is designed to operate only when all of these conditions are simultaneously met:
  • Drive or Reverse is engaged.
  • Vehicle is stopped or traveling less than 10 mph (16 km/h).
  • Vehicle detects an object in its immediate driving path.

My understanding is the opposite. One example is if you are stopped and there is nothing in front of you, then FSB detects that the car behind you will hit you, then it will *accelerate* to avoid a crash.