Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accident: Not sure I will see her again :-(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving home today approaching an intersection at 45-50 mph when a driver on the other side took a left in front of me as if I didn't exist. I had about 1-2 seconds, slammed my brakes, and then collided with the other driver. We landed at the corner of the intersection. Thankfully no one was hurt.

It was pretty fast but at the instance of the crash, I think the advanced collision warning alarm went off, the brakes locked up or ABS went off, then a flash, poof, and the airbags were out. When everything stopped I hopped out, trying to figure out what happened and then figure out if the other driver was okay. The driver's side curtain air bag snapped my glasses but that's about the extent of the injury to me. The other driver was driving a 2010 Audi A4. The picture doesn't show it but I totally t-boned her. I think that side of the car is 1/2 way into the car. Luckily there were no other passengers in either car.

Now I have to figure what happens next. This was a 2 year lease which ends 9/15/2017. I have Amica insurance, the other driver has State Farm insurance. I was definitely not at fault, there was nothing I could do to avoid this. However, the police didn't issue a ticket to the other driver. She told them that I was in the left turn lane and then changed my mind and went through the intersection. The officer said her story didn't really add up because the impact wouldn't have been so big if I was starting from a stand still. Nonetheless they said they couldn't issue a ticket and regardless our insurance companies would determine fault even if a ticket was issued.

Long story short, the S is a really solid car, the cabin was totally in good shape and I'm thankful for that. If anyone has advice or tips on how I should take it from here, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

IMG_1293.JPG
IMG_9983.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
Glad no one was seriously injured. At that speed i'm sure you'll be feeling it at some point. Really sorry to see the photos but always good to hear the cabin held up well. No advice on what's next. At least you both had insurance. I was in an accident years ago and had my glasses broken during the impact. Wouldn't be surprised if your face in that area hurts if they broke against you.

As for the dashcam I wonder since Tesla has talked about the cameras like in a somewhat dashcam use, if they could pull some images from the accident.

...how I should take it from here, it would be much appreciated....

Don't you call Tesla Road Service so they can explain/coordinate the process?

Since it is Audi driver's fault, you should make sure her insurance takes care of the repairs.

Since Tesla does not cover collisions, so a Tesla tow would not be free.

You'll need to transport your car to a Tesla approved bodyshop.

• Helpful
Reactions: tomas
I was driving home today approaching an intersection at 45-50 mph when a driver on the other side took a left in front of me as if I didn't exist. I had about 1-2 seconds, slammed my brakes, and then collided with the other driver. We landed at the corner of the intersection. Thankfully no one was hurt.

It was pretty fast but at the instance of the crash, I think the advanced collision warning alarm went off, the brakes locked up or ABS went off, then a flash, poof, and the airbags were out. When everything stopped I hopped out, trying to figure out what happened and then figure out if the other driver was okay. The driver's side curtain air bag snapped my glasses but that's about the extent of the injury to me. The other driver was driving a 2010 Audi A4. The picture doesn't show it but I totally t-boned her. I think that side of the car is 1/2 way into the car. Luckily there were no other passengers in either car.

Now I have to figure what happens next. This was a 2 year lease which ends 9/15/2017. I have Amica insurance, the other driver has State Farm insurance. I was definitely not at fault, there was nothing I could do to avoid this. However, the police didn't issue a ticket to the other driver. She told them that I was in the left turn lane and then changed my mind and went through the intersection. The officer said her story didn't really add up because the impact wouldn't have been so big if I was starting from a stand still. Nonetheless they said they couldn't issue a ticket and regardless our insurance companies would determine fault even if a ticket was issued.

Long story short, the S is a really solid car, the cabin was totally in good shape and I'm thankful for that. If anyone has advice or tips on how I should take it from here, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

View attachment 254412 View attachment 254413
It will be nice when we get the windshield cam record capability.

If I remember right, the last 30 seconds of video are retained, and the logs should confirm you were not changing lanes from the left turn lane but rather were traveling through the intersection.

Doesn’t hurt to call Tesla with the date and time and a request.

Also, given that your head was impacted, and given that soft tissue injuries can take a couple of weeks to manifest, do get checked out by a competent doctor or two.

It’s unfortunate that the Audi fared so poorly. I recall a friend who got t-boned in a new Honda. All the airbags deployed. He suffered 2 injuries as the driver: a TBI that resulted in a medevac and a 5-week medically-induced coma, and a jacked up right hand as the passenger door crushed into the steering wheel.

Fortunately as well, no passenger at the time, and equally as fortunately, it was the passenger side that was impacted and not the driver’s side. Bad enough that his head impacted his side of the car.

Good luck.

Reactions: scottf200
$50 strap-on Cam (sold on late night TV) can be attached to rear view mirror in 60 seconds. Records sound, also video with sufficient definition to satisfy any situation short of actually reading license plates. 32gb micro chip records a 250+ mile trip before overwriting. A second cam could be installed over rear window easily enough. This cam is a personal accessory that you take with you to borrowed, rented or any vehicle you happen to own. Get one today . . . now back to regular programming.
--

the damages look bad but repairable, however the OP could be in for a long wait for the repairs to be made. that said the repairs might be so costly that the car could be totaled. I hope the OP had gap insurance for his lease. it is good that the tesla protected the driver so well and he came out of that relatively unscathed.

Glad to hear everyone is OK. I also echo all the others in this thread and recommend that you get some kind of dash cam today to help prevent this kind of situation in the future.
a dash cam cannot prevent an accident, it will only record the events prior to and during the incident. while that is good to use as evidence as to assigning fault a camera preventing an accident isn't what having one is for.
for the OP were you driving or was AP in control? If AP was in control that could come back to bite you.

a dash cam cannot prevent an accident, it will only record the events prior to and during the incident. while that is good to use as evidence as to assigning fault a camera preventing an accident isn't what having one is for.
for the OP were you driving or was AP in control? If AP was in control that could come back to bite you.
The situation I was referring to was the other person lying about what happened.

Thanks!

View attachment 254412 View attachment 254413

First, I'm glad you are ok. Second, this really ticks me off and why I would caution you to avoid making statements regarding injury as the incident is recent and you already have a person who is obviously lying.

If the person is lying, I'd suggest you seek the advise of counsel. This incident will be on your "record" and if you're determined to be the at-fault party - that will make things much more complicated (insurance wise) and there is potential for civil liability beyond insurance coverages. Retain aggressive counsel to ensure your rights and integrity are protected.

Talk to an attorney - her insurance will use any statement you make against you. They start this with a recorded statement! Talk to an attorney first!

Reactions: croman
First, I'm glad you are ok. Second, this really ticks me off and why I would caution you to avoid making statements regarding injury as the incident is recent and you already have a person who is obviously lying.

If the person is lying, I'd suggest you seek the advise of counsel. This incident will be on your "record" and if you're determined to be the at-fault party - that will make things much more complicated (insurance wise) and there is potential for civil liability beyond insurance coverages. Retain aggressive counsel to ensure your rights and integrity are protected.

Talk to an attorney - her insurance will use any statement you make against you. They start this with a recorded statement! Talk to an attorney first!
the cardinal rule of situations like this is to never, ever talk to an opposing driver's insurance company. that is what you pay your insurance company to do. gather and provide all the evidence that you have and supply it to your insurance company. this link is a primer on the path that incidents like this usually follow.
Insurance Law: What is a Subrogation Action? - FindLaw

• Helpful
Reactions: DrivingRockies