Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accidentally drove Model 3 through garage door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dang. Sorry that happened.

My second day with the new car I pulled out of the garage. Hit the door button. but I need to make a three point turn to exit the drive.

Backed under the closing door and applied some nice scratches to the trunk when I tried to pull forward to escape.

Garage door doesn’t close correctly anymore either. Doh.

• Informative
Reactions: Donz_S
If it makes the OP feel better:

I once tried turning around a car in a three car garage. I was young, and didn't want to bother someone that was behind me. Going to drastic measures to avoid people wasn't entirely new with me at the time. I ended up getting too close to a beam, and scratching my car at the time.

I once pushed the wrong button on the Tesla remote so it opened the trunk into the garage door instead of opening the frunk.

I've closed the garage door on my car multiple times simply because I was rushing. It's never happened with the Model 3 because it's not that long.

I've almost closed the garage door on the car when the Home Link got confused. There is a single code for open/close on my garage door so the two things can get flipped around. After that I turned off the Home Link auto-open. I never used auto-close as murphy's law on that one was pretty frightening.

I've done the "hit the garage button" and slow down just enough to scoot in below the garage door. Sure it's an unnecessary risk, but sometimes fun is fun. I would never do it with re-gen though as that's not always predictable.

I actually read it as:

1) Started to regen into his driveway
2) Regen was not enough, so he went to hit the brake.
3) Hit the accelerator instead.
4) Hit the garage door (with the windshield?) as it was partially opening, blasted through the lowest segment. Mercedes safety glass rear window was the collateral damage from this inward garage door intrusion, but the laminate glass of the Model 3 proved to be the victor in the battle with the garage door.
5) Continued pressing forward into the garage, without worrying about things, letting the garage door scrape over the top of the car (it was only 2/3 of the way in so there was still some glass roof to go maybe?), as the damage was done at that point.

A surprise advantage of a glass roof! No scrapes!

So much for all those people complaining about cheap Tesla windshield glass ;-)

OP still needs to change the topic to reflect that he drove his car into the door.

• Love
Reactions: ABC2D
I turned the car into my driveway and started regenerative braking. I realized that rate of the deceleration was not high enough so that I pressed a pedal. But unfortunately it was a wrong pedal. I do not think there was warning before and after the pedal was pressed.

In other words, “Drive too fast, didn’t stop in time, rear ended my own garage door.”

Autopilot, Regen braking, sensors, low speed collision alerts, alarms, etc - all of those are completely immaterial. Control of your speed and your vehicle are solely - 100% - your responsibility.

I made that comment several times here (that these cars are not "M3"s and its silly to call them such because thats another brands halo car name), but was told repeatedly "Its just tesla forums talk" and "its fine". I decided it was not the "hill I wanted to die on" so to speak but I wont call a model 3 an "m3".. because its not... any more than some other car beside a porsche is a 911.

I mean, honestly, it’s a forum, and a lot of people (like me) spend a fair amount of time writing posts on their phones rather than computers (like me right now). So saying “M3” is simply easier and faster to type, and if every single person here knows exactly what you mean by that, then....stop being a hall monitor IMO.

• Disagree
Reactions: kavyboy and MP3Mike
I mean, honestly, it’s a forum, and a lot of people (like me) spend a fair amount of time writing posts on their phones rather than computers (like me right now). So saying “M3” is simply easier and faster to type, and if every single person here knows exactly what you mean by that, then....stop being a hall monitor IMO.

Then why not just write 3, it is faster and results in no confusion.

View attachment 390293
But amazingly the model 3 suffered from practically no damage. There are minute scratches on the rear and front windows and no dents anywhere.
Maybe in the future, you could set the preferences to "creep" mode so it acts more like an ICE car until you get used to it. It this case it MIGHT have helped you to not run into the door. Best of luck in the future.

Thanks, the photo shows a lot. Glad to hear there is only minor damage to your car. But hey, while we are on the subject.... is that a full self driving lawn mower on the right? You better check its firmware. Looks like it ran into some boxes :rolleyes:

Here is how the incident happened:
I turned the car into my driveway and started regenerative braking. I realized that rate of the deceleration was not high enough so that I pressed a pedal. But unfortunately it was a wrong pedal. I do not think there was warning before and after the pedal was pressed.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune and I am not singling you out as I have heard this happened many times but never in my 20 years of driving I pressed the accelerator instead of the break pedal or vice versa. I don't know if any car can be designed to override driver's deliberate command (pressing the pedal) to accelerate...

AlanSuble4Life said:
I actually read it as:

1) Started to regen into his driveway
2) Regen was not enough, so he went to hit the brake.
3) Hit the accelerator instead.
4) Hit the garage door (with the windshield?) as it was partially opening, blasted through the lowest segment. Mercedes safety glass rear window was the collateral damage from this inward garage door intrusion, but the laminate glass of the Model 3 proved to be the victor in the battle with the garage door.
5) Continued pressing forward into the garage, without worrying about things, letting the garage door scrape over the top of the car (it was only 2/3 of the way in so there was still some glass roof to go maybe?), as the damage was done at that point.
Let me clarify by editing the above:
1) Started regen into my driveway
2) Pressed garage door opener
3) Realizing the car would get to the door before it is up high enough, I hit the accelerator instead of brake by mistake.
5) The car hit with its fender the lowest segment of door, blasted through it and pushed up remaining part of the door with the front window as the car moved forward.
6) The car stopped at 2/3 way into the garage and the door rested on the roof top. Obviously I must have let my foot off the accelerator by this time.
7) The car had to either back off or move forward. I chose to move the car forward to complete parking in the garage.

" without worrying about things" ? Well, I was worrying a lot: I thought there would be huge damages to fender and glass.
One of the attached pictures shows where the impact happened.
A surprise advantage of a glass roof! No scrapes!
How is it different from glasses used for other cars?
My other car being Mercedes E400 was just quietly sitting there but its rear windows had to be replaced.

Attachments

• DSC02271x.jpg
    DSC02271x.jpg
    498.3 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC02274.jpg
    DSC02274.jpg
    366.8 KB · Views: 81
Let me clarify by editing the above:
1) Started regen into my driveway
2) Pressed garage door opener
3) Realizing the car would get to the door before it is up high enough, I hit the accelerator instead of brake by mistake.
5) The car hit with its fender the lowest segment of door, blasted through it and pushed up remaining part of the door with the front window as the car moved forward.
6) The car stopped at 2/3 way into the garage and the door rested on the roof top. Obviously I must have let my foot off the accelerator by this time.
7) The car had to either back off or move forward. I chose to move the car forward to complete parking in the garage.

" without worrying about things" ? Well, I was worrying a lot: I thought there would be huge damages to fender and glass.
One of the attached pictures shows where the impact happened.

How is it different from glasses used for other cars?
My other car being Mercedes E400 was just quietly sitting there but its rear windows had to be replaced.

Sorry, I was being a bit snarky. Surprised at how relatively little damage there is to the vehicle. Presumably there are quite a few other superficial scrapes that are difficult to see in pictures, but glad for you it is mostly ok.

As far as glass - usually rear windows are safety glass, while the windshield is laminate and much stronger. As far as the top glass, I think it is laminate (I don’t know). Circumstantial evidence says it is laminate because cracks have been reported (this would normally result in a shattering piece of safety glass, while a laminate just cracks).

• Love
Reactions: Donz_S
Sorry to hear about your misfortune and I am not singling you out as I have heard this happened many times but never in my 20 years of driving I pressed the accelerator instead of the break pedal or vice versa.
It never happened to me either for 66 years though I once hit cratch instead of brake which was 40 years ago.
I don't know if any car can be designed to override driver's deliberate command (pressing the pedal) to accelerate...
Well, I would think it must be possible for driver assistance system that can override human error. Tesla ESD already do that to a certain extent and it may be a matter of extending such capability.
But hey, while we are on the subject.... is that a full self driving lawn mower on the right? You better check its firmware. Looks like it ran into some boxes
It IS electrical!! True I better be carefull electrical things.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune and I am not singling you out as I have heard this happened many times but never in my 20 years of driving I pressed the accelerator instead of the break pedal or vice versa. I don't know if any car can be designed to override driver's deliberate command (pressing the pedal) to accelerate...

Me either, but now you’ve probably jinxed yourself, so...be careful.

Sorry, I was being a bit snarky. Surprised at how relatively little damage there is to the vehicle. Presumably there are quite a few other superficial scrapes that are difficult to see in pictures, but glad for you it is mostly ok.

As far as glass - usually rear windows are safety glass, while the windshield is laminate and much stronger. As far as the top glass, I think it is laminate (I don’t know). Circumstantial evidence says it is laminate because cracks have been reported (this would normally result in a shattering piece of safety glass, while a laminate just cracks).
Pretty sure it’s laminate. And the roof/glass structure appears to be strong as hell, Thank goodness (and Tesla engineers)

Last edited: