Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Accidentally received FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I ordered my car in August 2019 and when I called the store for a reason I can't remember, they told me they had a 3 with the exact specs I wanted that was sitting on the lot with 3 miles on it and whether I wanted that one since I would get it in 5 days vs few weeks. I said of course!

When I got it I didn't realize for a while that FSD was already installed on the car.. whoever built it previously and backed out of it, obviously had FSD built on it and they forgot to take it off before they sold it to me.

I was expecting them to take it off any time I had it serviced but it hasn't happened yet.

My question is whether they will be able to tell the fact that I haven't purchased FSD if I ask them to update my hw to 3.0? My thinking is if they go by VIN they probably won't, but if they take a peek at my account they should be able to tell my car should be FSD-less. I'm planning on purchasing it since I can't imagine not having it now but wanted to get your guys' opinion.

Thanks!

Hi all,

I ordered my car in August 2019 and when I called the store for a reason I can't remember, they told me they had a 3 with the exact specs I wanted that was sitting on the lot with 3 miles on it and whether I wanted that one since I would get it in 5 days vs few weeks. I said of course!

When I got it I didn't realize for a while that FSD was already installed on the car.. whoever built it previously and backed out of it, obviously had FSD built on it and they forgot to take it off before they sold it to me.

I was expecting them to take it off any time I had it serviced but it hasn't happened yet.

My question is whether they will be able to tell the fact that I haven't purchased FSD if I ask them to update my hw to 3.0? My thinking is if they go by VIN they probably won't, but if they take a peek at my account they should be able to tell my car should be FSD-less. I'm planning on purchasing it since I can't imagine not having it now but wanted to get your guys' opinion.

Thanks!
It seems they catch up to unpaid for FSD eventually, even if you don't take it in for service,

I thought an August 3 would already have AP3 installed.

Tesla will check your account if you request an HW3 upgrade since purchasing FSD is a requirement for the upgrade. But if you purchased the car in August you may already have HW3. Why do you think you need an upgrade? Did you look at the part number on the computer board?

Tesla will check your account if you request an HW3 upgrade since purchasing FSD is a requirement for the upgrade. But if you purchased the car in August you may already have HW3. Why do you think you need an upgrade? Did you look at the part number on the computer board?

I read somewhere they go off of your VIN when scheduling your upgrade and wasn't sure they would see I didn't get FSD. It would not surprise me if they see it and I expect it. Thanks for your response!

Look on your screen, where the Software info is listed, there’s a line that says Additional Something information. That will give you more stats and say what HW is installed. I believe all cars made after April 2019 got the HW 3 installed out of the factory, I missed it by one month.

I say enjoy FSD while you have it, the “Men in Black” that run the audits in these cars could, might miss it. Just look out for Black Hawk helicopters, then you know it’s coming.

Fred

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
To get your HW3 installed sooner, go to www.tesla.com/findus and find your Service Center, then look up their email, email them Asking when you can bring your ride in for the HW3 retrofit. They will schedule you. This has worked 3 out of 4 times a person went with this method. Give it a try and good luck.

Fred

To get your HW3 installed sooner, go to www.tesla.com/findus and find your Service Center, then look up their email, email them Asking when you can bring your ride in for the HW3 retrofit. They will schedule you. This has worked 3 out of 4 times a person went with this method. Give it a try and good luck.

Fred
Why would you do this vs making an appointment through the app? Serious question. I’ve never gotten a response to an email.

Well, you've outted yourself here....

But anyway, hopefully you aren't using it when they shut it down.

Number of people that ordered in Aug 2019 then called their local store and was offered one sitting on the lot with 3 miles on it and then took delivery 5 days later ? 1

My close to 1400 VIN window sticker said "All Wheel Drive".... it's not - wasn't even available yet.

They were in a rush and made a few mistakes.

Why would you do this vs making an appointment through the app? Serious question. I’ve never gotten a response to an email.
Takes forever the normal route, a Youtuber made a video about this and like I said he got a install date 3 out of 4 times the email went out.

There are Service Centers with stock of these HW3.0 but I guess someone else maybe in Corporate picks who gets it first.

Fred

They offered the car to you because it was in their best interest to place it. They may treat it as if you purchased a mis-labeled appliance in Home Depot. I say this because I had an incident like this at that store. I noticed a Weber Grille with a considerable mark down posted. I t didn't seem right, so I asked a floor manager if it was correct. He checked, came back to me and thanked me for catching their mistake. I asked him what would have happened if I had rolled it through checkout as it was, what would I have paid? He said they would have honored the posted price. So I asked, will you sell it to me now for that posted price? He checked again, and they agreed to do that. My point? I think you should be stand-up with Tesla and query them in the same way. They may have intended you to have it anyway. At any rate you will know for sure and not be always waiting for the other shoe to fall. Good luck, and congrats on the new car.

If you want to keep it for awhile, I'd recommend you say nothing and ask for nothing. Once Tesla becomes aware - either informed by you or discovered on their side - they will downgrade the software. There have been numerous shared examples of exactly this situation.

That said, I agree with others that the details don't add up. An August 2019 car very unlikely has HW 2.5 in it. And exactly what "FSD" features are you using that make you believe you have the FSD features?

Sorry,
If you want to keep it for awhile, I'd recommend you say nothing and ask for nothing. Once Tesla becomes aware - either informed by you or discovered on their side - they will downgrade the software. There have been numerous shared examples of exactly this situation.

That said, I agree with others that the details don't add up. An August 2019 car very unlikely has HW 2.5 in it. And exactly what "FSD" features are you using that make you believe you have the FSD features?

Sorry, I meant to say I took delivery in May not Aug. Was late when I typed this. I have everything my buddy does who purchased it. Navigate on autopilot and such. I followed a YouTube vid and checked it and it has 2.5 hw.

I'll wait and see! Thanks for the reply.

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo