Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Active Road Noise Cancellation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lzolman

Never thought I'd be driving the world's best car!
Supporting Member
Jun 13, 2019
Boston North Shore
I'll call it ANC: I finally noticed it was activated (at least w/r/t the UI) this morning after the install of 2021.44.5. I didn't see it there after the install of 2021.40, I think I also checked after 2021.40.5.

There was news about it today so I'm going under the assumption no one was seeing it until this release.

Is everyone else seeing it doing a "recalibration" each time you start out on a drive?

I took Nameless out on I-95 and tested the ANC with windows open/shut and music playing/not. In no single instance did I hear anything change when I toggled the switch. Like, zip. Nothing was changing.

So far ANC isn't very A, nor is it C'ing N.

Reactions: afarkas2222
The software was added in 2021.40 series.

Active Road Noise Reduction
Only for Model X 2021+ and Model S 2021+
Available Worldwide
Tesla 2021.40 release notes
Your vehicle now has the ability to actively reduce low-frequency road noise while driving on rough surfaces. To accomplish this, the system uses the seat microphones to measure the noise in the cabin, then generates anti-noise through the speakers to create quiet zones around the occupants.

To access, tap Audio Settings > Options > Active Road Noise Reduction

The software was added in 2021.40 series.

Active Road Noise Reduction
Only for Model X 2021+ and Model S 2021+
Available Worldwide
Tesla 2021.40 release notes
Your vehicle now has the ability to actively reduce low-frequency road noise while driving on rough surfaces. To accomplish this, the system uses the seat microphones to measure the noise in the cabin, then generates anti-noise through the speakers to create quiet zones around the occupants.

To access, tap Audio Settings > Options > Active Road Noise Reduction
Thanks, but no such thing on mine 🥲

Attachments

• tempImageQqnN7U.png
    tempImageQqnN7U.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 693
  • tempImageEWyHSS.png
    tempImageEWyHSS.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 337
This is so weird, it's hard to tell when exactly it really showed up. I know I checked after 2021.40 and it wasn't there. But did it appear magically a day or so later and I just didn't know it? I can't tell. It always "recalibrates" when I begin driving, so I can't use that as a sign that it "Just showed up". Very confusing.

And then the fact it doesn't seem to actually DO anything even when turned on is also a bit annoying.

You aren't missing anything, it's 100% worthless
Initial reports vary:
- Some people don't have a version which has ARNR at all
- Some people have a version which is reported have the UI, but it's not showing up for some reason
- Some people do have ARNR in the UI and it should be working, but they claim it's not working at all
- Some people do have ARNR in the UI and they can detect it, but they think it's too subtle
- Some people do have ARNR in the UI and they can detect it, and they think it's pretty good

To me, this reads as Tesla experimenting. 🤷‍♂️

Updated mine to 2020.44.5 yesterday and ARNR is active. It's not like my airpod pro which really silenced the surrounding... it only reduce the light hum noise from the back of the car.(you can notice that when you trun on and off the option) I do say it's good to have it but Tesla could have done it better. (Hopfully they will get more improvement down the road with more updates)

2021.44.6 just installed, about a day after 2021.44.5. There are no new release notes. I'm taking a road trip tomorrow so I'll find out if the ARNR shows any signs of life. I'm not holding my breath.

Downloaded & installed 2021.44.6 on my Plaid 2 days ago and still don't have ANC. Still not understanding how this feature "turns itself on" and appears suddenly out of nowhere without another s/w update? If it's truly in 44.6, then why not make it active immediately with the 44.6 update? 🤔
☹️
And it all gets stranger and stranger...2 days after I received the 2021.44.6 s/w update, I received another notification in my Tesla app telling me there's another s/w update. So, I immediately thought...okay, this is the secondary one that people have been talking about that will give my MS Plaid ANC. So I downloaded and installed it, only to find out it still shows 2021.44.6 s/w version but now the release notes just say "minor fixes." Again, I'm thinking okay, I've now got ANC and I go into my sound options to see NOTHING new...no ANC! WTF? 🤔:rolleyes::(

Maybe they forgot to install mics in your seats.
It’s possible but unlikely that the car won’t recognize a microphone failure (or lack of microphone). My impression of being a Tesla owner is that they have a sensor for everything, probably sensor for the sensor too 😃the other day the car told me that the rear seat is not fully clicked (I took them down the day before and apparently didn’t click one of them properly after that, but the car detected that plus the fact that someone was sitting there 😮).

• Informative
Reactions: sflgator
No humor there dude, resorting to bizarre personal attack? Way to make friends.
Or you could be in the elite FSD BETA club like myself, and pay extra to have predominantly nothing working. No way points, ANC, back seat heat control, etc. All in the name of being a two-bit free test driver at high risk, while you rack up hard miles on a machine you’ve spent thousands on. But that’s just my opinion..as I hit the opt out button.