Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adaptive Suspension Damping… Real or Ruse? Which one do you have? Find out fast!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very possible. I sure wish we could get the details of updates beyond new features. I think they also massively changed the behavior of the auto turn signals. Now it seems to sense if you are making multiple lane changes and leaves the turn signal on until you finish all the lane changes. Pretty darn sure it didn't do that before.
I noticed this today as well.

I'm assuming that you have to have a nav destination in for it to be able to recognize that kind of a maneuver.

I know it'll keep it on for FSD, but I'm confident I was not using any AP/FSD when it kept the turn signal on for a double lane move earlier today.

I noticed this today as well.

I'm assuming that you have to have a nav destination in for it to be able to recognize that kind of a maneuver.

I know it'll keep it on for FSD, but I'm confident I was not using any AP/FSD when it kept the turn signal on for a double lane move earlier today.

I believe it can determine your side to side velocity in relation to the lane markers to make this behavior possible. I do not think Nav plays into it.

Reactions: Scott1258
Very possible. I sure wish we could get the details of updates beyond new features. I think they also massively changed the behavior of the auto turn signals. Now it seems to sense if you are making multiple lane changes and leaves the turn signal on until you finish all the lane changes. Pretty darn sure it didn't do that before.
Definitely did. It's about the steering angle/angle of attack against the lane.

I only have AP3, no NoA, and I noticed this yesterday.
The car knows the angle of the steering wheel and uses that to determine whether to turn the signal off, so if you're crossing two lanes more aggressively, it won't turn off the signal as you cross the first lane, waiting until the wheel straightens out somewhat before turning it off (which would be as you finish entering that second lane). While I can't say that was the case day one with the turn signals when the software update came out that automatically enabled the lane-change signal disengagement (when they removed the soft touch capability from the haptic buttons in late 2021), I can tell you this current method/feature has been there well over a year now.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
The car knows the angle of the steering wheel and uses that to determine whether to turn the signal off, so if you're crossing two lanes more aggressively, it won't turn off the signal as you cross the first lane, waiting until the wheel straightens out somewhat before turning it off (which would be as you finish entering that second lane). While I can't say that was the case day one with the turn signals when the software update came out that automatically enabled the lane-change signal disengagement (when they removed the soft touch capability from the haptic buttons in late 2021), I can tell you this current method/feature has been there well over a year now.

So, it would help folks like this:

Not sure I approve 😁

Hello from Finland. I own 2017 model X 75D. I love the car but i had one problem that i wanted solve. This model year air suspension is only height adjustable, and it is way too stif on damping.. So i bouhgt used raven dampers and installed these! My problem was that i could not find any reliable data how these dampers are controlled. Now i have tested and come to conclusiin that damping rate is controlled with pwm controller and adjusting current going to valves. I can confirm that without any power to solenoids these dampers are fully soft! And when added current these fampers go stiffer. Tested this today. I found a post in BMW forum that someone had made controller for BMW edc dampers. BMW (billstein) dampers has 2amp max current for full SOFT setting. But these TESLA (billstein) dampers work opposite way. I found even one video on youtube for test driving Tesla adaptive suspension,and in this video there is Current percentage in the cars display. So less current is softer damping. Only thing that i dont know is the pwm frequency of Tesla signal and max current for Tesla dampers.. i assime it is about the same 2 amps than BMW Billstein.
I hope this brings more info in this conversation!
And sorry if my english is somewhat strance.. please feel free to comment.
The Tesla ECM puts out a 1Khz 16 v signal as measured by oscilloscope. I am curious to know how you confirmed that the dampers are fully soft with 0 current.

Reactions: mcirish
The Tesla ECM puts out a 1Khz 16 v signal as measured by oscilloscope. I am curious to know how you confirmed that the dampers are fully soft with 0 current.
One idea that hit me was whether people have 21" or 19" tires and if there was any correlation between tire size any perception of ride quality. For instance I feel my suspension works very well and have 19" wheels..

What wheel size do you have, Steve?

One idea that hit me was whether people have 21" or 19" tires and if there was any correlation between tire size any perception of ride quality. For instance I feel my suspension works very well and have 19" wheels..

What wheel size do you have, Steve?
Nothing to do with it. I have both the 21" Tesla and 19" Tesla wheel sets, and my suspension behaves as expected in both Sport and Soft modes. The difference is obvious. Steve's car is broken, perhaps, and so are other customers' vehicles - perhaps, but either this thread is an ultimate troll or Steve is just... very opinionated, but this issue does not affect all cars.

Nothing to do with it. I have both the 21" Tesla and 19" Tesla wheel sets, and my suspension behaves as expected in both Sport and Soft modes. The difference is obvious. Steve's car is broken, perhaps, and so are other customers' vehicles - perhaps, but either this thread is an ultimate troll or Steve is just... very opinionated, but this issue does not affect all cars.
I have definitely been trying to stress that to him since I came across this thread as mine very easily is discernible between the two modes.

Reactions: WilliamG
Many new Model S owners are unhappy with the adjustable ride control in their cars. They feel no difference between Comfort and Sport. Others THINK that their systems are working… but can you be sure?… the “placebo effect“ is strong. When you select “Comfort“, it’s easy to convince yourself that the ride just got smoother. … even though it didn’t. To settle this issue, I performed an objective, technical analysis of the operation of my car’s suspension. This analysis PROVED what many have suspected… Adaptive Suspension Damping is NOT providing the range of ride comfort levels that the Model S/X is capable of. In my car, and many others, 5 of the 7 ride comfort settings result in the same ride… maximum harshness!… with “Sport“, ironically, being the softest! (Although still very harsh). In order to get this issue resolved, it is essential to understand how many cars have the problem, and to be able to identify them unambiguously. Fortunately, during the course of the investigation, I discovered a startling fact about the system’s user interface that directly reveals whether the system is working or not! The answer is there for the reading in the numbers labeled “percent damping“ on the “show suspension info” screen. I don’t understand why or how Tesla made this mistake, but these numbers are mislabeled. They are NOT % damping, but actually Pulse Width Modulation Duty Cycle readings! (Refer to my video for technical explanation
) PWM Duty Cycle is the “bottom line“ in this system. It is the actual electronic signal that controls the variable shocks… making them stiffer or softer. A 100% duty cycle will make the shocks as soft as possible, and a 0% duty cycle as firm as possible. Think of these numbers as “percent softness“. With this in mind, you can tell precisely how the car will ride just by reading them. For instance, if “Comfort“ results in 0% Softness, you know you’re in for a harsh ride! This whole issue is a software error. Service will tell you that ”your vehicle is performing according to specification“ because it doesn’t give them any error codes. That just means that the hardware is working properly. But the problem is real, and I’ve double checked my analysis… So, go check your numbers right now! It will only take a minute. Here’s what to do: while stopped, go to the Suspension menu, select ”show suspension information“, step on the brake to activate the system. Read and record the upper left number (Left Front Compression) for each of the 7 ride modes… Comfort, Sport, and under Advanced, each of the Ride Comfort settings from Soft to Firm… in that order. You only need to record the numbers for Left Front Compression. Record the numbers like this: Comfort 0, Sport 28, and Ride Comfort 0,0,4,8,20. (These are my numbers). If you have a working system, you will have larger percentages for the softer settings. Now, POST YOUR NUMBERS! Include the model of your car (S or X, LR or Plaid) and the delivery date. It’s very important to understand how many cars are affected by this bug, and when it started. PLEASE HELP! I’ve been working on this for six months… I believe that the only way to get it resolved is to show Tesla the magnitude of the problem. Thanks!
Not sure if you figured this out or not but looking at your video it appears that you tapped into the Blue and Yellow wires. According to a schematic I've seen, the Yellow is ground and the Blue is the control signal. These colors correspond with the REBOUND dampener control.
1691251976846.png

Maybe you have a more sensitive butt than the rest of us?

On a 2023 Model S I test drove a few months ago, probably summer or late spring build, the difference between suspension settings was certainly real, especially swapping directly between Comfort and Sport.

I will say it was more subtle than the range allowed by other adjustable dampers I've experienced, but after reflecting on it, I think that's overall a good thing and Tesla engineers probably made a deliberate decision there.

Reason being, there is only so much firmness or softness that actually makes sense for a given application and spring rate. I guess the air spring rates probably change a little with height but changing height has other huge effects, and is slow, so it's not useful in any way for supporting extra soft or extra firm damping active damping.

I'll compare with a few other cars I've driven recently with adjustable dampers.

My 2021 M3P on aftermarket Redwood Öhlins DFV sport coilovers: The adjustment range on these Öhlins feels very wide, even just 1/3 stiff to 2/3 stiff is a huge dramatic difference. I can't imagine ever wanting the full range of adjustment on a single set of springs though. The wide range probably helps for swapping to somewhat firmer or softer springs without needing a revalve, which is a useful feature for an aftermarket suspension, but obviously Tesla has no reason to care about that with Model S factory air suspension.

Rivian R1T: The sport setting is super obviously different..and felt like sh*t. Way too firm on the damping. In the sport mode it seemed to bounce off every little imperfection, absorbing nothing, especially for a vehicle with such huge suspension travel and tires. Bad for handling and even worse for ride quality. So yeah, the R1T allowed a wider range of damping adjustment...but was worse for it. (Its standard/comfort mode was just fine thankfully.)

Audi RS5 Sportback: The RS5 damping adjustment range felt larger than the Palladium, but it also felt too underdampened in its softest comfort mode, and too overdampened for the street in its firmest sporty mode. Nothing so extreme or bad as the R1T sport mode though. The RS5 did have an in-between setting or two that felt very nice for the kind of car it is, so no real problem, but again I'm not sure the extra adjustment range over a Palladium is really worthwhile.

Ford Mach-E GT Performance Edition (magneride): This was a few years ago so my memory of it is getting fuzzy, but I was pretty impressed with its overall suspension tuning at the time, for what the vehicle is. The damping overall felt good and appropriate in all the modes I tried, not excessively stiff or excessively soft.

This is just my 2c based on my preferences, and based on driving a single Palladium Model S on a single software version. I'm not trying to deny anyone else's experience with these cars.

Reactions: mcirish