Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Add new hardware to used MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new order MX have the additional cameras in the enhanced auto pilot. Also is the autonomous driving which adds more cameras.

Is it possible to buy the older 2016 MX (first production models that didn't have these options) and get these hardware added on?

The new computer is liquid cooled - presumably hooked in to the power electronics cooling. So you'd have to plumb that in along with sorting out the wiring harnesses and possibly the mount structures, and then code the car so it got the AP2 firmware versions.

It's still probably easier than the conversion to AP that one member managed, but not by much.

The new order MX have the additional cameras in the enhanced auto pilot. Also is the autonomous driving which adds more cameras.

Is it possible to buy the older 2016 MX (first production models that didn't have these options) and get these hardware added on?
This has been discussed in multiple threads ever since AP1 launched in September 2014 including several other active threads right now. The answer to your question is a very clear "NO".

Mr. "Can do" can't do it? Ten thousand dollars can't make it happen? We can go to mars and set up a neighborhood but can change out a wire harness? I would say the answer is he doesn't want to be bothered with a task that is not his priority. The only problem is he is alienating all of his early adopters who have paid the 120k+price to help get the company where it is today. Get it done Elon!

Mr. "Can do" can't do it? Ten thousand dollars can't make it happen? We can go to mars and set up a neighborhood but can change out a wire harness? I would say the answer is he doesn't want to be bothered with a task that is not his priority. The only problem is he is alienating all of his early adopters who have paid the 120k+price to help get the company where it is today. Get it done Elon!
I'm sure there are a handful of very talented engineers in Fremont that could pull this off. Training a whole (less-skilled) workforce (that is so far behind that it takes weeks/months to get an appointment) is a whole different story. Money/effort would be better spent to get production line running flawlessly.

Rolling out a car that was "years in the making" only to introduce a huge overhaul to one of the key features a few months later that's not backwards-compatible is unbelievable.

There is no getting around the feeling that my non-upgradable Model X was released half-baked.

No one is going to feel sorry for you. You saw the list of features, maybe drove the car, and you bought it. It wasn't "half-baked" - they are just improving the recipe a little.

Its the first model year for the vehicle. It would be kind of naive to think their wouldn't be updates coming in short order. Be happy that Tesla is improving and enhancing their products, wait a couple of years, and then buy a new one with even more improvements.

Get over it.

I'm sure there are a handful of very talented engineers in Fremont that could pull this off. Training a whole (less-skilled) workforce (that is so far behind that it takes weeks/months to get an appointment) is a whole different story. Money/effort would be better spent to get production line running flawlessly.
theres a bunch of talented people here who could pull it off fact is he just doesnt want to or there no way to make a profit off it.
and when people figure out it can be done they'll do what BMW did and just up the price of the parts.

bmw tried to make this same arguement about updating there CIC ( infotainment for bmw ) it was the exact same wiring just two wires had to be moved and the " coding" was just true or false in german after people figured out how to do it they jacked up the price for the parts here in the states. so people just ordered parts from poland ..

give it time after enough people goto junk yards to get the parts I'll bet you its something simple

Mr. "Can do" can't do it? Ten thousand dollars can't make it happen?
It is quite sensible for Tesla to make a policy decision not to offer AP hardware upgrades not because it "can't be done" (of course it can) but because the labor cost is so high that the take rate will be low and the resources Tesla would need to dedicate to such an upgrade program can be better used elsewhere.

Not everything is as simple as "Since we can go to Mars we should be able to offer an AP1 to AP2 upgrade". There are other considerations.

Keep in mind that AP2 hardware will be useless until "December" per Elon, which really means more like March or April 2017 in Elon time. Also, full level 5 autonomous self-driving will come only when your local municipality or state has approved the operation of such vehicles on the road. Even if federal approval is granted, that only applies to interstates. States and local municipalities still have the final say on regulations that apply to vehicles operating within their jurisdictions. Getting government regulations changed takes a long time at best. Tesla's self-driving software will likely include some form of geofencing that will only allow self-driving where Tesla has determined it is legally allowed to operate.

Bottom line, by the time self-driving is enabled and approved by regulators where you live, you'll probably be ready for a new Tesla anyway.

The only problem is he is alienating all of his early adopters who have paid the 120k+price to help get the company where it is today. Get it done Elon!

I consider Roadster buyers early adopters, who to this day, still cannot supercharge. What about pre-AP1.0 cars who had no option to retrofit when AP1 was announced? I know it sucks that you can't retrofit, but we've been down this road before and it will likely be repeated again and again in the future.

The days of retrofitting are likely over, there are way too many cars and too few service centers. The 100kw upgrade no longer seems all that appealing for an additional $20K, better to just trade/sell to get new AP2 and the 100k battery.