Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Add-on for my charging routine!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although I have a home charger, I have not used it other than a quick hour to add a few miles, for an unanticipated trip.

I pay £7.85 per month, for Polar Plus, as where I attend meetings have these charging points and that also ensures me a parking space!. They are also in the local park and ride, which is a 14 min walk, to home and again, to collect. I use this,to ensure I get my £7.85 a month fee back,vin free electricity!

Today, I have taken delivery of an electric scooter! It will fit in the boot and cut my journey times a lot! It's fun too!

Here in the UK all electric scooters, hover boards and Segways are illegal to use unless you are on private land. Even then it’s tricky - some years ago I hired a Segway for the day, and was chastised by the park ranger in our local park, as the riding of electrically-assisted vehicles of any sort was against the council bylaws!

Many electric bikes are also illegal, as they’re too powerful to meet our current legislation. The Electrically Assisted Pedal Cycles Regulations 1983 was originally introduced by Maggie Thatcher’s government to legalise the forthcoming Sinclair C5. This was harmonised with EU law in 2015.

The main restrictions on EAPCs are that the motor is restricted to 250W, the maximum powered speed cannot exceed 15.5 mph, and the vehicle must have pedals, which should be in motion while the bike is electrically assisted. So the many current electric bikes with big motors and high speeds are classed as motor vehicles, and should be registered with DVLA, taxed and insured.

In truth nobody seems to bother though, but as said above, that might change in the case of a fatal accident...

Push bike?

Yeah, but I think its too bulky; have to lock it up when you gt there and so on. If her digs was a mile or so away from Uni then definitely, but her digs are right next door, and all she needs is to get around campus and around town (which is currently a bus ride away). Something she could just fold-up and take into a lecture would be ideal (or so her Dad thinks ...). Needs to be carry-able so it is not nicked, so a motorised skateboard / fold-up-scooter or similar.

I'll ask her what the annual bus pass costs, and how many days the weather would be too awful for skateboarding into town ... I might find that the bus fare would pay for it

I think the mono-wheels look pretty cool, and carry-able ... but I have no idea how difficult to balance / practical they are to use

Best-Electric-Unicycle-Review.png

Yeah, but I think its too bulky; have to lock it up when you gt there and so on. If her digs was a mile or so away from Uni then definitely, but her digs are right next door, and all she needs is to get around campus and around town (which is currently a bus ride away). Something she could just fold-up and take into a lecture would be ideal (or so her Dad thinks ...). Needs to be carry-able so it is not nicked, so a motorised skateboard / fold-up-scooter or similar.

I'll ask her what the annual bus pass costs, and how many days the weather would be too awful for skateboarding into town ... I might find that the bus fare would pay for it

I think the mono-wheels look pretty cool, and carry-able ... but I have no idea how difficult to balance / practical they are to use

Best-Electric-Unicycle-Review.png

Surely the words of a man who just WANTS TO BUY TOYS!

Confession: I have about half a dozen bicycles.

• Funny
Reactions: Roy W.
I only really twigged the 'illegality' aspect when I started to read up, after my impulse buy! (Aldi £179.95)

I have seen them about and I don't go that fast, as I wont be getting a helmet. I could push like I did as a kid, if mr policeman came into view!

However, as I left my house, for my test 'scout's, I heard a couple. Woman...oh look, he's got an electric scooter". Followed by, man response, "They're illegal".

I was on the move by then!

• Funny
Reactions: WannabeOwner