Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Added convex side mirror

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess I just can't wait for FSD to render my mirrors useless like Tesla intends....

I wasn't happy with the limited size of the factory mirrors. While aerodynamic, they really only provide minimal blind spot visibility. I really like to see both my blind spot and even the next lane when I perform a lane change and I just wasn't getting enough from the OEM mirrors.

I chose the abstract ocean mirrors because they were edgeless (never had that before). I can say I was genuinely impressed by the clarity of these mirrors when I received them. Definitely not cheap plastic. I struggled with the placement of the mirrors because I normally put them on the bottom outside edge of my mirror, but on the Model 3, that would result in seeing lots of the housing in the mirror, limiting the added value. So I temporarily stuck them on my mirror in various locations and settled on what you see in the photo. I decided losing sky was the best comprise... It maximizes the usability of the fisheye view without staring at lots of housing. Between the edgeless design and the clarity of the mirror I really love the final result and don't know how I lived without them. I always use them now.

Hope this helps someone thinking of doing the same.
View attachment 435912
After being on earth as long as anyone, I recently found out how to use your side view mirrors. I've been one that always needed a convex mirror to see my blind spot, so before I go any further you can find the proper way to use sideview via of course, youtube. So, what you need to do being in the drivers seat, lean your head to the left, and just the mirror to where you can just see the tail end of your car, then do the same from the drivers seat, lean to the right and looking at the sideview, adjust so you can see the tail end of your car. Now when looking in your rearview mirror, if you see a car coming up on you, when you can no longer see that car, look at you sideview mirror, tada!!! there's the car. Once again the video does a pretty good job of explaining, tossed all of my sideview stick ons. Hope this helps before you stick some on you mirrors

Reactions: XLR82XS
After being on earth as long as anyone, I recently found out how to use your side view mirrors. I've been one that always needed a convex mirror to see my blind spot, so before I go any further you can find the proper way to use sideview via of course, youtube. So, what you need to do being in the drivers seat, lean your head to the left, and just the mirror to where you can just see the tail end of your car, then do the same from the drivers seat, lean to the right and looking at the sideview, adjust so you can see the tail end of your car. Now when looking in your rearview mirror, if you see a car coming up on you, when you can no longer see that car, look at you sideview mirror, tada!!! there's the car. Once again the video does a pretty good job of explaining, tossed all of my sideview stick ons. Hope this helps before you stick some on you mirrors

Unfortunately, this method, which I've been using for years, does not work for me in my Model 3; the mirror doesn't swing out far enough. I realize that you, and some others, say that it does work, so I assume there's an issue with the seating position for some drivers. I'm not alone in having this problem; many others say that it doesn't work for them, either. FWIW, I'm 5'10", so I'm not a particularly weird height. I've experienced this problem in every Model 3 in which I've sat and tried to do the adjustment -- my own car, the car I test-drove, and at least two different showroom cars. Thus, it's not a sample defect on my specific car. It was a big negative for the Model 3 in my evaluations, but ultimately, I decided I could live with the problem by adding a secondary mirror, as shown in post #27 to this thread.

The SUMA mirrors are great and the blue is very minor. I no longer have blind spot issues and they help with sun glare and car lights.

Doesn't the housing block the outer view of the SUMA mirrors? The housing blocks the outer view of my factory mirrors already from my viewpoint in the car. I'm 5'11". I am experimenting with a few blind spot mirrors but they can't be placed in the outer edge or they are blocked by the housing.

The oblong mirror pictured is by Utopicar
IMG_20200227_132956a.jpg

915C3E41-903F-42D2-B93A-555751D495C6.jpeg 0A0D6D4A-4783-493B-8ABA-F42B0D8FE19B.jpeg
Doesn't the housing block the outer view of the SUMA mirrors? The housing blocks the outer view of my factory mirrors already from my viewpoint in the car. I'm 5'11". I am experimenting with a few blind spot mirrors but they can't be placed in the outer edge or they are blocked by the housing.

View attachment 518226

Nope. See attached for before and after photos.

View attachment 518226
Top right hand corner is the best placement of the mirror.

View attachment 518276 View attachment 518275

Nope. See attached for before and after photos.

Thanks. I see that the housing blocks some of your mirror in your photo as I suspected but it seems that the mirror is convex enough that you still get a wide FOV in the remaining part of the mirror that is not blocked by the housing.

I had similar blue mirrors in my eGolf and it was the best thing ever.

SUMA.png

Attachments

• SUMA.png
    SUMA.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 97
Thanks. I see that the housing blocks some of your mirror in your photo as I suspected but it seems that the mirror is convex enough that you still get a wide FOV in the remaining part of the mirror that is not blocked by the housing.

View attachment 518615

Ahh, yes, I didn’t even consider that because I can see more than I need. This has been the most useful thing I’ve purchased for this car.

• Informative
Reactions: SumaPerformance

View attachment 518615

I pull my blue mirror in a bit more than yours ( I can actually see my car ) - so that area you squiggled out is used by me.

Pulling it in a bit - I can:

1. see my car ( in the mirror ).
2. see the front of the car next to me ( glancing left ).
3. see the rear of the car next to me (in the mirror).

I need that area you squiggled out. Why did you push your mirror out so far?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SumaPerformance
I pull my blue mirror in a bit more than yours ( I can actually see my car ) - so that area you squiggled out is used by me.

Because I don’t need to see my car to know it’s there.

Also, I am tall and can still easily see the side of my car with the mirror pushed out as far as possible.