Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Added convex side mirror

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my first message in the page, but I have to say that it looks as if no1 of the people caring for the blind spot adjusts their mirrors correctly... The way to adjust them is so that you can still keep looking a bit of the car at the bottom of the mirror... The mirror shouldn't be pointing at the complete left, it should cover so you see what is behind... the OP is actually having the mirror wrongly positioned.

Btw, the blind spot is covered by moving your head (you learn it in every driving school) not by adding more stuff to the car surroundings... What if that mirror (which is actually not OEM falls? you can't drive) would u stop? it's not how it should be

I disagree. To set your driver mirror you put your head to the glass and adjust so you barely see the edge of the car. For the passenger side you put your head to center and adjust so the car is barely seen. This eliminates blind spots. When you do this correctly you can watch a car transition between your review and the side mirrors. In a car with a blind spot monitor you will always see the car when the monitor light goes on. You don't need to see the edge of your car and having to turn your head means taking your eyes further off the road in front of you.

For me the passenger side works fine but the drivers side stops a little short. I adjust my head forward a bit to compensate. I might give these mirrors a whirl.

For the folks who are confused and don't think these mirrors are necessary.... Read the title of this thread. If you aren't interest, then move along. I'm pretty sure that I addressed the fact that you can eliminate blindspots with proper mirror alignment..... But I wanted more. I wanted better visibility and more complete awareness that the small OEM mirrors lacked. I now have this, enjoy this, and am sharing this. To each his own.

Reactions: GoergeJetson
Someone recommended last week this side mirror Wide Angle - Rear View - Blind Spot Mirror
This is the one I've got, although I bought mine on eBay. Here's a photo of it in my Model 3:
View media item 120092
The trouble I have with this is that I'm not yet used to it; it takes a little extra effort to use, and it's not yet automatic for me to do so. I'm getting there, though.

FWIW, I'm 5'10" and the SAE mirror adjustment method described by @AdamVIP in post #22 doesn't quite work for me in my Model 3, although it's worked in every other car I've driven for at least the past decade. The Model 3's mirror just doesn't swing out quite far enough. Others report the same thing.

I guess I just can't wait for FSD to render my mirrors useless like Tesla intends....

I wasn't happy with the limited size of the factory mirrors. While aerodynamic, they really only provide minimal blind spot visibility. I really like to see both my blind spot and even the next lane when I perform a lane change and I just wasn't getting enough from the OEM mirrors.

I chose the abstract ocean mirrors because they were edgeless (never had that before). I can say I was genuinely impressed by the clarity of these mirrors when I received them. Definitely not cheap plastic. I struggled with the placement of the mirrors because I normally put them on the bottom outside edge of my mirror, but on the Model 3, that would result in seeing lots of the housing in the mirror, limiting the added value. So I temporarily stuck them on my mirror in various locations and settled on what you see in the photo. I decided losing sky was the best comprise... It maximizes the usability of the fisheye view without staring at lots of housing. Between the edgeless design and the clarity of the mirror I really love the final result and don't know how I lived without them. I always use them now.

Hope this helps someone thinking of doing the same.
View attachment 435912
I got the AbstractOcean mirrors too because I want something to increase my range of vision. For years I've been setting my mirrors to the farthest out position, enabling me to see the approaching car next to me instead of the rear quarter of my car. But the short narrow mirrors on our M3s don't give a full picture of the car, including the space around it. I placed my mirrors on the lower outside corner, as recommended but don't really see any advantage. I'll try the upper inside corner, like yours. Thanks!

Hi, everyone knows that replacing side view mirrors with video camera is the future, but this is not yet US DOT authorised.
See Elon Musk talks next-gen Tesla Roadster, hints at potentially having no mirrors, and more

Well, I noticed that the Honda Civic has a camera located under the passenger mirror to help parallel parking.
Note: This camera has also a remote adjustment (see video), which makes it a little bit pricey.
HondaCivicPassengerMirrorWithCamera2.jpg

It seems so easy then to put a camera on any side view mirror and add a video display on each side A pillar (where there is a speaker)

Note: For $28 you can get a full set Camera and Monitor 4.3" LCD Display

71ElEDhM8LL._SL1500_.jpg

Of course, integrating the display inside the door (see video) would be nicer than near the A pillar, but to start with, this would be simple.

Last edited:
This is definitely untrue for me; the Model 3 does have blind spots -- that is to say, the SAE mirror adjustment procedure does not work for me in a Model 3. That said, it may depend on your seat position, and therefore your height.
I'm 5'10" and I don't think that would be a factor in the SAE procedure which is what I use also.

In the SAE procedure you should not be able to see the side of your car in the side mirrors without moving your head a lot. There is then no position where a part of an overtaking car is not visible.

I have the SUMA performance mirrors on both my 3 and S. They really don’t look blue when you’re in the car — cameras greatly exaggerate that. I’ve had the add-on mirrors on other cars and I don’t like the add-on look. Plus, It may be my eyesight, but the tiny add ons don’t do anything for me regarding seeing traffic. For me, at least, the SUMA’s were the perfect solution.

I guess I just can't wait for FSD to render my mirrors useless like Tesla intends....

I wasn't happy with the limited size of the factory mirrors. While aerodynamic, they really only provide minimal blind spot visibility. I really like to see both my blind spot and even the next lane when I perform a lane change and I just wasn't getting enough from the OEM mirrors.

I chose the abstract ocean mirrors because they were edgeless (never had that before). I can say I was genuinely impressed by the clarity of these mirrors when I received them. Definitely not cheap plastic. I struggled with the placement of the mirrors because I normally put them on the bottom outside edge of my mirror, but on the Model 3, that would result in seeing lots of the housing in the mirror, limiting the added value. So I temporarily stuck them on my mirror in various locations and settled on what you see in the photo. I decided losing sky was the best comprise... It maximizes the usability of the fisheye view without staring at lots of housing. Between the edgeless design and the clarity of the mirror I really love the final result and don't know how I lived without them. I always use them now.

Hope this helps someone thinking of doing the same.
View attachment 435912
Shoutout to @insaneoctane. I got the blind spot mirrors from Abstract Ocean per your recommendation and they are AMAZING.

It goes without saying they just work. In the absence of a PROPER blind spot assist (Sheesh Tesla!), these are a great add and simply make driving easier.

The design is incredible, way better than the cheap models you see in dollar stores or in auto parts shops. The most important thing is they are super sleek - there is no raised edges and they flow really nice with the mirror.

I wanted to take a pic to confirm to all that the best placement is top corner - you can see the bottom corner that is "typical" for these types of blind spot mirrors simply reflects the mirror housing too much whereas the top corner shows more area and even the wall of my garage (note I've blacked out some of the pic for my privacy). Also note that I am pointing my phone on my door sill so it looks like my mirror is pointing too "inwards" and not properly positioned for driving and the main mirror is showing a lot of the side of my car - this isn't the case in my field of view when sitting normally and driving:

IMG-6013.jpg

These are an awesome addition, thanks!

Last edited:
Can you show the result display at night in moving traffic?

From my experience, the hemispheric mirrors are useless at night and concentrate the light,
making the headlights so strong, when a car pass near by, that I had to put my hand to hide the mirror.
I’ll try to get pics for you tomorrow morning when it’s pitch black. I honestly haven’t noticed this happening to me ever.

I’ll try to get pics for you tomorrow morning when it’s pitch black. I honestly haven’t noticed this happening to me ever.

I just got these based on this thread last week. Still trying to get used to them.

The images are so small that I have to look and concentrate on the little mirror which is not great. At night, things are so small and dim that I can’t use them at all.

Time will tell if they are keepers.