Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding a charger to my 100 amp panel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like it isn't so much the ESA as the 2018 electrical code updates. ON electrical code - 2018 changes for vehicle charger load calcs

Your electrician should be able to provide this for you. If not, find another electrician.

I should have also mentioned.....

When a new code is released, there is a time frame for inspectors to promote the new code, and for organizations like CSA, UL and ESA to put on educational seminars for electricians, engineers etc. There is a delay of 12-18 months before each province enforces the code. If I recall correctly (I was at one of the CSA training sessions in March 2018), the target enforcement date for the new code, for ONTARIO was April/May 2019. I suspect this is the reason that @TechnoBabble has ESA insisting on the demonstrated load calculation, and others in the past have not.

Disclosure: I am not an electrician, but I was an industry insider.

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
I have a 100amp panel and currently have a Tesla charger installed for 32amp. I used a Tesla certified electrician and the guy said it’s safe and got EPA certified. He said he may able to do 48 (i wanted the faster speed) but if I was using AC, stove, washing machine etc. It may trip the main panel. He said safe bet is to either upgrade to 200 or go with 32. So what he did was install 48amp to the panel, but limit it to 32 for the tesla charger. When i upgrade to 200amp the work is already there and only requires a flip of the switch (so he says) to make it 48amp.

So basically I have 48amp limited to 32amp on a 100amp panel.

• Informative
I have a 100amp panel and currently have a Tesla charger installed for 32amp. I used a Tesla certified electrician and the guy said it’s safe and got EPA certified. He said he may able to do 48 (i wanted the faster speed) but if I was using AC, stove, washing machine etc. It may trip the main panel. He said safe bet is to either upgrade to 200 or go with 32. So what he did was install 48amp to the panel, but limit it to 32 for the tesla charger. When i upgrade to 200amp the work is already there and only requires a flip of the switch (so he says) to make it 48amp.

So basically I have 48amp limited to 32amp on a 100amp panel.

Good stuff. Whether ESA passes it depends on a) the load calculation and b) the inspector you get on the day. Mine was rejected without the charge controller and passed with it - luckily an easy addition. I have A/C and electric dryer but gas stove.

Just dug out my invoice. My total install cost was $1,130 taxes-in, not including the HPWC which I purchased myself.

The two quotes for a 200A service upgrade, depending on Hydro One who were having trouble confirming whether the size of cable to the house would support it, was $5,000-7,000.

Is that $1130 tax in for the entire installation including load shedder? Or just for the load shedder itself?

Anyone have recommendations for a Tesla certified electrician? I already have 200 amp panel, can anyone tell me the approx cost of install?

Depending on the run and wire gauge and type of install (parts).

NEMA-14-50 would run you ~$500 to 700 for the plug. HPWC could be anywhere from ~$700 to 1200+ with ESA inspection included?

Someone who's had theirs done professionally can chime in. I did the work myself and saved a few hundred bucks.

Anyone have recommendations for a Tesla certified electrician? I already have 200 amp panel, can anyone tell me the approx cost of install?
Here are Tesla certified Electrions: Find an Electrician
Here's the Tesla Charger: Silver Wall Connector
Like the post above me said, depends on the location of your panel, the distance etc. Need to ask for a quote from an electrician.

Reactions: TechnoBabble
Depending on the run and wire gauge and type of install (parts).

NEMA-14-50 would run you ~$500 to 700 for the plug. HPWC could be anywhere from ~$700 to 1200+ with ESA inspection included?

Someone who's had theirs done professionally can chime in. I did the work myself and saved a few hundred bucks.
That’s more or less in line with what it cost me for a NEMA 14-50 outlet, and then an upgrade to add a HPWC a year later.
It depends a LOT on how far you need the line run. The further the distance the more the cost, obviously.

Did the upgrade from 100 to 200 in BC. Cost about 5-6000 here.

We have a pool and plan to run AC in the futrue, so we were pretty maxed out. We also had to have the load calculation done.

It was a big pill to swallow, but the house is more future proofed and ready for a second electric car when the time is right.

That’s more or less in line with what it cost me for a NEMA 14-50 outlet, and then an upgrade to add a HPWC a year later.
It depends a LOT on how far you need the line run. The further the distance the more the cost, obviously.

What's your reason of upgrading to the HPWC?

I'm torn between NEMA-1450 and HPWC. I don't think I'll be charging much anywhere else other than at home.

I have contacted a number of installers both Tesla certified and non. Imho the Tesla certified installers seem to have more knowledge in regards to both the installation of EV equipment and also about the cars themselves. Tesla standards for installation are higher than Ontario code requirement from what I am told. In regards to cost, I would budget minimum $500 assuming you're panel is in your garage. For any other scenario, you would be best to get an estimate from a few electricians. I did finally settle on one particular tesla certified electrician but I do not want to post their information here on the forums as I'm unsure if it's allowed. Feel free to PM me if you want his contact info.

I'm torn between NEMA-1450 and HPWC. I don't think I'll be charging much anywhere else other than at home.

I'm not sure what kind of car you but the HPWC will give you the max charge rate at 48 amps. The 14-50 will only allow 32 amps. if you have a 200 amp panel and you have a model 3 with extended range battery, going with the HPWC is a no brainer. Model 33 standard range and 14-50 is all you really need.

Curious as to where you found a 3 way switch that was rated higher than 20 amps?

I put in a switch (60 amp rated) double pole, double throw - it switches between HPWC and Nema 14-50. ESA inspected. It works great and allows other cars to use my EVSE on Plugshare

IMG_0059.JPG IMG_0061 (2).JPG

It's basically a 100 amp panel - no main breaker. The 50 amp breaker (below) is fed from the main panel. There is a defeater that closes one breaker as you open the other.

Two reasons:

1) the UMC isn’t really weather proof, only weather resistant, and I was leaving it outside year round. In the winter, the button on the handle would freeze regularly and be annoying to plug in, or unplug.

2) the HPWC is more robust, cool looking, and can deliver more power on the same circuit (40 amps instead of 32, 10 kw instead of 8). It’s also designed to be left outside.

I put in a switch (60 amp rated) double pole, double throw - it switches between HPWC and Nema 14-50. ESA inspected. It works great and allows other cars to use my EVSE on Plugshare

View attachment 402470 View attachment 402471

It's basically a 100 amp panel - no main breaker. The 50 amp breaker (below) is fed from the main panel. There is a defeater that closes one breaker as you open the other.

Thats a pretty neat set up. Thanks for sharing.

Not sure if helpful, but this is what my installer gave me (100Amp panel):

Service Calculation by Electrical Calc Pro

Service Specs:

Service Tag:
tag; new service

Areas:
main floor area; 1250 ft²
upper liveable area; 1250 ft²
basement area; 1250 ft²

Heating and Cooling:
simultaneous heating and cooling; no
electric heat; 0 watts