Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding a second Tesla to the garage. Suggestions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for this, but the condo HOA won't allow any more personal WC's - they claim the complex is already nearing load capacity and plans to install a few (3-4?) outside for use on a first-come, first-serve basis.
HOAs can be a pain and I assume a condo HOA is even worse. Two Tesla Gen 2 or Gen 3 (if you have wifi there) HPWCs on the same breaker wouldn't actually increase the load since they adjust to match the breaker setting when it's installed. But I would guess that the HOA wouldn't see the finer points of that. My post above was for the OP's situation, but in your case it does seem like the NeoCharge splitter would be good, although I don't have any experience with it.

HOAs can be a pain and I assume a condo HOA is even worse. Two Tesla Gen 2 or Gen 3 (if you have wifi there) HPWCs on the same breaker wouldn't actually increase the load since they adjust to match the breaker setting when it's installed. But I would guess that the HOA wouldn't see the finer points of that. My post above was for the OP's situation, but in your case it does seem like the NeoCharge splitter would be good, although I don't have any experience with it.
OP chiming in here. We've had the new car for a few months now and we've been sharing the wall connector ever since. It's been working out fine, no desire to expand/add a second charging cable. Neither of us drive enough miles to justify it.

Reactions: Genie

OP chiming in here. We've had the new car for a few months now and we've been sharing the wall connector ever since. It's been working out fine, no desire to expand/add a second charging cable. Neither of us drive enough miles to justify it.
Then, considering the fact that you're limited to the 30A anyway, and assuming you already have a mobile charger, your #2 option probably makes the most sense and you might even come ahead money-wise. For the two 14-50 outlets I had installed in our garage addition, I bought a couple ~$30 brackets off Amazon that mount on the wall and hold the mobile chargers and plug end securely and provides a place to wrap the cord. If I plan on travel, I can just slide one of them out of the bracket and take it with me.

Then, considering the fact that you're limited to the 30A anyway, and assuming you already have a mobile charger, your #2 option probably makes the most sense and you might even come ahead money-wise. For the two 14-50 outlets I had installed in our garage addition, I bought a couple ~$30 brackets off Amazon that mount on the wall and hold the mobile chargers and plug end securely and provides a place to wrap the cord. If I plan on travel, I can just slide one of them out of the bracket and take it with me.
Huh? I went with Option 1. The cost to swap out the existing wall connector for one with a longer cable was negligible.