Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

adding FSD after purchase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I seem to recall the sales adviser telling me that I did not have to add FSD upon purchase to receive the $3000 price. I thought he mentioned that there was a few month grace period during which one could add FSD & pay $3000 vs. adding it later on for the $5000 price. Is this the case or am I simply sleep deprived?

I seem to recall the sales adviser telling me that I did not have to add FSD upon purchase to receive the $3000 price. I thought he mentioned that there was a few month grace period during which one could add FSD & pay $3000 vs. adding it later on for the $5000 price. Is this the case or am I simply sleep deprived?

I doubt it's the case, otherwise no one would pre-order it. Also FSD isn't really commonly purchased post-delivery (or at all, anymore) so its tough to find someone at Tesla that even knows the price or how to do it. Plus i probably wouldn't buy it now since it's going to be more than $3K and you might as well wait until HW3 is actually ready and you can get the hardware swap when you buy FSD.

...This isn't exactly clear to me yet.

One thing that's really clear is: Self Driving (including Waymo) is still in its infancy so it's just a hope and speculation that is not tested by regular consumers and Youtubers.

However, the progress is real. AP2 is much better at automatic lane change than AP1 is.

Tesla said less than AP3 is fine for Autopilot but you'll need AP3 for Full Self Driving features so I don't doubt that current AP2x shall be replaced for FSD.

I already paid FSD not because I expect to summon my car from New York City and it would drive itself from Fremont, CA all by itself any time soon or even during the life of my current car ownership.

I just hope that it will have more features than current Autopilot: Navigate on Autopilot in the city (Autopilot is meant for freeways), stop sign, traffic light, speed sign compliance.

I think automatic right turn will be activated first before the automatic left turn will.

Of course, those features will still require a driver to be responsible if something goes wrong because the process will still be in its infancy for a long time!