Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adjusting charging amps remotely?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a small solar system that charges L1 nicely. Problem is I need to back down on the charge rate when a cloud comes over. It seems logical to do this through software but Elon choose not to allow this. So based on the conversation on this thread I will proceed with the openEVSE route following the programming and hardward these guys have set up for RV camping linuxkidd/ev4rv When I get my system working I'll share all the details. It works now but just the automatic variable charging rate doesn't work. On clear days I don't need to adjust it. Maybe I should go ahead and make a video on my system which cost less than $2000 as a DIY to put my tesla 100% on sunshine power.

I have a small solar system that charges L1 nicely. Problem is I need to back down on the charge rate when a cloud comes over. It seems logical to do this through software but Elon choose not to allow this. So based on the conversation on this thread I will proceed with the openEVSE route following the programming and hardward these guys have set up for RV camping linuxkidd/ev4rv When I get my system working I'll share all the details. It works now but just the automatic variable charging rate doesn't work. On clear days I don't need to adjust it. Maybe I should go ahead and make a video on my system which cost less than $2000 as a DIY to put my tesla 100% on sunshine power.
I can certainly agree that a video would be awesome!

I did a lot of the work myself, but I had a lot of help from a friend's notes on the subject. One thing I didn't do was put the iBooster in. Someone else did that while I was working on other things on the car. Not a lot of other links, but you can take a look at my off grid setup. It's coming down in two weeks when I move to Oregon. All the batteries or LongDog Powerplant
wow......Florida to Oregon.....thats a different way of life....are you from there or a job change

There is a project on another thread here about using a raspberry PI zero to act as a "master" in the gen 2 HPWC units. The PIzero then connects to a MQTT server in your house that instructs it what the max current draw is. All you then need is the solar inverter to tell the MQTT server what that max is. No need to involve the car... do it by contorlling the HPWC. The thread is something to the tune of HPWC communication protocol.

There is a project on another thread here about using a raspberry PI zero to act as a "master" in the gen 2 HPWC units. The PIzero then connects to a MQTT server in your house that instructs it what the max current draw is. All you then need is the solar inverter to tell the MQTT server what that max is. No need to involve the car... do it by contorlling the HPWC. The thread is something to the tune of HPWC communication protocol.
Personally I prefer the OperEVSE compared to HPWC as the HPWC protocol changes when Tesla feels like it and you have no control over that. With OpenEVSE we control when things get updated and changed.

I read the WIKI and it is nicely documented, good job!

FINALLY!!!
3C216A8F-13FD-468D-8E41-424AB6755EC7.jpeg
At least until 2021.36 rolls out

FINALLY!!! At least until 2021.36 rolls out

I eagerly await my cars next firmware update!

NEXT : Coordinate the charge with my Powerwalls.

Say, once my Powerwalls hit 90% charge, begin to charge car at a rate that doesn’t deplete the Powerwalls. My area doesn’t have net metering, so I have a huge gap between what I pay for electricity and what my credit might be. I want to keep the Powerwalls charged, not purchase any energy, and not give the utility any energy. So have excess charge the car.

Perhaps have different charge limits. One for a minimum limit, and one higher limit if excess energy is available. For instance set 50% like it is now, but a secondary limit of 80% if I have extra solar production after Powerwalls are full.

@ucmndd: Thank you; had a feeling it might be. How does one access those notes? Is there a way to set up like push notices? After seeing your response, I went to the Apple App Store and saw that an update was available and clicked on it. Still didn't see anything like the screen shot that @tij664 posted.
Thanks again for your help.

@ucmndd: Thank you; had a feeling it might be. How does one access those notes? Is there a way to set up like push notices? After seeing your response, I went to the Apple App Store and saw that an update was available and clicked on it. Still didn't see anything like the screen shot that @tij664 posted.
Thanks again for your help.
Open the App Store on your phone, click your picture at the top right, and you’ll see an “available updates” and/or “recently updated” section.

Any news about when changing the charge rate is possible through an API? App is nice but when coordinating with solar output an API would be necessary. Seems to me that when it's possible in an app it should also be very easy to release it in an API.
yes its implemented now.

This is my code running every 30s in homeassistant based on the tesla_custom.api integration in HACS in conjunction with by Powerwalll 2.

service: tesla_custom.api
data:
command: CHARGING_AMPS
parameters:
path_vars:
vehicle_id: '{{ state_attr(''binary_sensor.tess_online_sensor'', ''id'') }}'
charging_amps: >-
{% if ((states('sensor.powerwall_solar_now') | float -
states('sensor.powerwall_load_now') | float -
states('sensor.powerwall_battery_now') | float) / 0.19) | int < 0 %}

{{ 0 }}

{% elif ((states('sensor.powerwall_solar_now') | float -
states('sensor.powerwall_load_now') | float -
states('sensor.powerwall_battery_now') | float) / 0.19) | int >16 %}

{{ 16 }}

{% else %}

{{ ((states('sensor.powerwall_solar_now') | float - states('sensor.powerwall_load_now') | float - states('sensor.powerwall_battery_now') | float) / 0.19) | int }}

{% endif %}