Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adjusting charging amps remotely?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Absolutely agree with this suggestion 100%. I’ve had situations where I come home with a low state of charge but not expecting to leave for the rest of the day. Usually I’ll set the car to charge at a very low rate. I have a detached garage. I would love to be able to raise the charge rate to 72A if I get a schedule change and need to leave earlier without needing to go to the car.

Someone already mentioned openevse offers solar integration as part of their current software kit. I am presentin building an 80 amp openevse based station and want to do some automation on charge rate.

The problem I have seen so far is if openevse stops charging the car gives me a line problem message and reduces the rate when it starts again.

I could potentially just lower the rate to a minimum but I haven't tested this yet.

I don't have solar but I so have a large charging set up that I am trying to manage to about excessive circuit limits.

Using openevse I have tested my S from 6 amps all the way to 80 and back again by tweaking the pilot signal. Also I didn't have issues with the car considering the line unstable when turning it down to 6 before pausing the charging station.

I can use the API calls or the GUI interface to make these changes. For me using openevse isn't an issue as that is what I have bought, but if you have a hpwc then that would annoying too replace your charging station, but might be worth it.

My S also works fine with the openevse scheduled start times.

Gents, thanks for the replies. Starting and stopping the charging remotely is a great feature.

I'm hoping that someone here knows if the Tesla API can adjust the amps too, and whether any apps can leverage that.

Since Tesla is trying to be an integrated solar company, the absolute best would be if they included functionality to track inverter output, and essentially become a unidirectional Powerwall.

Oh, should have mentioned that I have placed a 'reservation' for Powerwalls, but Tesla has a hard time estimating delivery and installation. At this point they can't even confirm there will be a installation, but that's another discussion entirely.
REsponding to one of the first posts in this older thread.... since this thread was started, SolarEdge has released a solar charge controller that has a j1772 plug on it and can be programmed to charge when sun is shining or after peak hours end at night. Might be just what the OP is looking for.

• Informative
Reactions: reddy
REsponding to one of the first posts in this older thread.... since this thread was started, SolarEdge has released a solar charge controller that has a j1772 plug on it and can be programmed to charge when sun is shining or after peak hours end at night. Might be just what the OP is looking for.
It would be nice if Tesla could have the Powerwalls communicate with cars or the HPWC to control or limit charging, especially when there is a power outage.

Reactions: reddy
Add me to the growing list of M3 owners who really want the ability to adjust charging rate remotely (from Tesla phone App or Powerwall UI on my PC). No need to get into details because while many contributors on this string don't get it, the ones that have solar PV systems (reddy, bradjc, LMichel) have it completely right.
It's not like we're asking for a complicated tracking control logic, just a manual set that mirrors the capability found on the vehicle's charging screen. To me that is infinitely more desirable than the silly games being added (Atari, whoopie cushions, etc) - and that has to be sucking up some programming resources, no?
Regardless, we're loving the car and the continuous improvements to the driving control features, power and range, etc. Keep it up Tesla engineering. Take it from an old, retired, motorhead whose career revolved around IC engine vehicles - you're on the right (and virtuous) path; don't let the nay-sayers, haters, Wall Street shorters, beat you down.

I can't adjust with the Tesla app, but I can adjust the amperage through the JuiceNet app and desktop dashboard for my Juicebox EVSE. During the winter months I will charge at 40A between 10pm-when I go to bed, then I remotely adjust the amperage so that the charging will be completed around the time we use leave for the gym in the morning.

The slower charging near the top end should help battery health (probably negligible), but the battery will warm and ready to go when we leave.

Mine certainly tapers off starting in the upper 80% range. I am charging at 240V and 80A though.
That's a separate thing. It's still very slow--less than 20kW--not fast enough to do any harm to the battery, but that would be running into the normal gradual tapering curve where it is slowing down as it gets very nearly full.

That does surprise me it's getting to a limit that early. I remember back when there were more people with the dual chargers and using 80A charging, and it never slowed down until about 95%+. I guess since they lowered the tapering curve, that 19kW does get hit the same way, where "the number" (SOC% + kW) is a little over 100 instead of about 125, like it used to be.

The last time I charged enough to notice the HPWC was also de-rating itself. I was at 90% and the HPWC was advertising only 77A but the car was using 72A. It hit 91% just before I unplugged it a moment later. When I got in, the outside air temp on the dash was showing something above 80F, and it was about 40F outside. I was parked in grass, but not tall grass. It is possible the car was limiting due to it's perception of outdoor temperature. I had arrived with about 28% battery and it charged straight to 90% as fast as it could and then I left.

I have a 2015 Tesla Model S 85. For some reason it defaults to 30 AMPs on the car charging screen even when I change it to the MAX of 40 AMPS even when the charge port is NOT connected. I have 50 AMPS circuit breaker.

Any suggestion to fox this problem?