Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advantages of Wall Connector vs Mobile Connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New MY owner here, and first BEV as well. In the swirl of the last few weeks end of quarter rush getting the MY (6/7 order, 6/30 pickup, went very well), I’m just now taking on the question of the daily charging setup. I will need to get an electrician to install some kind of 240 VAC charging system, hence the question:

What’s the advantage to spending $500 on the Gen-3 Wall Connector, over just getting a NEMA 14-50 installed and using the mobile connector (with appropriate adapter) that came with the car?

I’ve looked at the threads here and read the information on Tesla’s site, but am having a hard time figuring out the advantages of the Wall Connector that make it worth $500. Any information/thoughts appreciated!

• Helpful
Reactions: slmitchell737
Speed (48 amps vs 32 amps - 44 mph vs 30 mph - approximately 50% faster - and this is only true on the LR as the SR are capped at 32 amps with whatever charger you use) and convenience (always there and you get to keep the mobile charger in your trunk and not damage the outlet with constant plug/unplug - if you end up needing to do that). That's it.

Depends on your need. For vast majority, a 14-50 is fine. I’d hesitate to get a gen3 WC with the current overheating concerns in one of the other threads.

I’d get a 14-50 installed with a 50a breaker. Make sure it is wired such that it would support 60a in the future. If you later decide to go with the WC it would only require a breaker to be swapped.

also, I personally never use my portable charger away from home unless I’m visiting family. So it can just live in the garage. If I’m out and need a charge it’s a supercharger or something with a J1772.

Pro:
-- Looks
-- Sturdy, wall mounted
-- Only $275 more than buying a second portable connector (keep that in your car for emergencies, house visits)
-- Can be installed outdoors
-- Load sharing (in future)

The primary disadvantage that it costs a bit more, and some people, just having bought a Tesla are now poor (or think they are). When you consider the cost of an electrician in most areas, it is not too expensive.

Also, it has a 48 month warranty now. That alone will make it worth it because the probability of the UMC failing is not trivial. I think it is only one year and they break often enough.

Reactions: mycroftxxx
Get it (WC) and forget it.
- Installed in a TX garage where the temps average 90+ degrees right now.
- Pushing 48 amps / 45 mph with ZERO issues since it was provisioned.
- Usually charge in the early am, but have had to charge at all times of the day and night over the past 3 months.
- No issues with forgetting the MC then, as we just keep it in the trunk bag.
- The above pluses outweigh the cost imo.

Good luck!

ß

Hmmm...wall connector with 18’ cable is out of stock and the shorter cable won’t work in my garage configuration. I think either way, getting the electrical install done where the wiring will support either the WC or the NEMA 14-50 is the best plan. About time to start contacting electricians (I’m pretty handy around the house but no way am I installing a 60 amp 240 VAC circuit myself :eek:).

First time EV (soon to be) owner. Does the new Y come standard with a 14-50 adapter with the mobile charger? I think someone said at one point you have to buy the adaptors? Also, can someone explain the difference between 14-50 and 6-50? Also, given my house is already close to the total amp max with the breaker box, I could probably do with a 14-30 to save on amps.

First time EV (soon to be) owner. Does the new Y come standard with a 14-50 adapter with the mobile charger? I think someone said at one point you have to buy the adaptors? Also, can someone explain the difference between 14-50 and 6-50? Also, given my house is already close to the total amp max with the breaker box, I could probably do with a 14-30 to save on amps.

No, Yes.

Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

14-50 has 2 hot wires, ground and neutral
6-50 has 2 hot wires and ground

The neutral wire is used to make 120v power in addition to 240v, not applicable for Teslas.

You should have made your own thread for this question.

How so? You just need to put the wall connector less than 8 feet from the charge port.

18' is a lot of cable.

Sorta. Easier to pay the same price for 18' vs 8' than to pay for the extra routing in a garage, etc possibly... Plus, if placed "right" you can also use it under the garage door, or to a outside parking space to hook up a friend when they visit... :cool:

SS

Last edited:
If I end up ordering a Y, I am planning to buy a second mobile connector if I need to. I'm planning to just have an outlet installed and use the MC.

I am the exception, planning to run with a 5-20 outlet so I don't have to replace my existing home wiring, but I also only drive between 20-30 miles a day. Today, I drove 4 miles total. For the next couple of days, I'll drive 0.

Don't get me wrong, the 240 has its perks, but I'm not the typical commuter, I guess.

I would plan to keep the J1772 in my car for third-party charging as there are several sites around as needed, and I'll just use the MC at home. If situations came up where I was constantly having to lug it to-and-from home for workplace charging, I would rather just get another MC.

I suppose it’s good practice to have a second MC anyway, in the event one of them fails it won’t cripple me or tether me to Superchargers until a replacement arrives. But, I have heard that the Wall Connectors are more hearty and weatherproof (at least the Gen2 ones)... I don’t know how I feel about leaving the MC exposed in the driveway during a sleet event.

How much do you drive? How long can you charge? That's the $500 question ... If you can charge for 12 hours a day, you'd be getting around 40-50 miles of range on a standard 120v15a outlet, charging at 12a. The 5-20 would add around 2 miles per hour on top of that, so you'd have around 75 miles per day. That's plenty for me, and there's a bunch of third-party and Supercharger options around if I'm in a bind. It would take me a long time for me to recoup the cost of replacing my panel and running a 240v circuit instead, despite efficiency losses between 120 and 240.

Last edited:
How so? You just need to put the wall connector less than 8 feet from the charge port.

18' is a lot of cable.

For what it’s worth, I don’t park in a garage and I park in a 4 car driveway arranged 2x2. Often I will have family that stays overnight and if i have the early shift in the morning, that means i have to be on the “end” closest to the driveway. This means I would need the cord longer than one car length in order to reach from the outlet to my charge port.

For example, the Subaru Outback is 191 inches long, that means I’d have 15 feet to navigate, plus the distance to the outlet.

I would rather have extra cable than not enough in this circumstance.

Reactions: bicar and Y_tho
Hmmm...wall connector with 18’ cable is out of stock and the shorter cable won’t work in my garage configuration. I think either way, getting the electrical install done where the wiring will support either the WC or the NEMA 14-50 is the best plan. About time to start contacting electricians (I’m pretty handy around the house but no way am I installing a 60 amp 240 VAC circuit myself :eek:).
I had an electrician install a 60 amp breaker and a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage. He charged $385. Ordered the corded Tesla 14-50 charging cord. The cord stays hooked up in the garage... so, the mobile charger is always in the car. Also, bought the 14.50 adapter for the car cord.

Going through the same thought process with my new M3. My commute is short (14 miles round trip) but with the Pandemic and working from home I’m barely going 10 miles a day now. Here in Sacramento I’m getting quotes of $450 for 50 amp service and $300 for 30 amp. I wanted the faster charging just to be prepared for anything but I am questioning whether it is worth the extra money.

18' is a lot of cable.
Charge port is on the left side of the vehicle. Right wall of the garage is an outside wall. House electrical panel is on the outside of that wall. The electrician will just have to go through that wall to have access to the wires coming out of the panel. I’m not going to pay to run wire any farther than necessary, especially when I can get the 18’ cable WC for the same price as the 8’ version, and as @Y_tho notes, the 18’ version is back in stock and I got it ordered. So the WC will be on the right wall of the garage, I’ll park the MY on the right side of the garage, and with 18’ of cable, have an easy time of it - 8’ would almost certainly be too short. I might go ahead and get the 14-50 outlet installed too on general principles, but it depends on how much it costs.

If I get another Tesla later, I’ll have the electrician run wire over to the left side of the garage then.

wall charger can be installed outside and used in the rain.... the UMC is meant for indoor use.

The manual says you shouldn’t use the Mobile Connector in severe rain, electrical storms, or snow events.

And, counterpoint, the Wall Connector says “The Wall Connector is approved for outdoor use, but it is not designed for complete immersion in liquid. Protection from rain is recommended but not required.”