Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice Needed: Convincing Husband to Go Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I hope to charge at home during off-peak hours, which would be after 9pm. I still need to research some more on whether it costs more for higher volt/less time vs lower volt/more time, that I'm not too sure of.
Highest volts at highest amps for shortest time seems to be most efficient. Are you on flat rates or time of use plan?

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110
Highest volts at highest amps for shortest time seems to be most efficient. Are you on flat rates or time of use plan?
OP was talking about money. In that case just charge when it is cheap, but do try and avoid really dirty electricity meaning hours when it is mostly coal sourced.

Are you ? In terms of electricity charging losses the main improvement is using 240v rather than 120v. Amperage increases are a trade-off between resistance losses than that scale up quadraticaly and fixed losses that drop linearly.

Reactions: Tron 3
Best compromise is to buy the 14-50 adapter for the mobile charger, and have the electrician install a 240V 50A circuit with a 14-50 outlet. Charging rate is a bit less than the hard-wired wall charger (32A vs 40A), but is still enough to recharge from 0 overnight. It saves you $500 for the wall charger. Bonus is that hubby can use it for other things like a welder or air compressor when not charging...

You will NOT be happy with 120V charging on a long-term basis. The 14-50 adapter gives you about 30 mi of added range per hour of charging at that 32A rate (30 mi/hr in Teslaspeak); the 120V adapter will only give you 4-5 mi/hr. As far as the electric company is concerned, a watt-hour is a watt-hour, regardless of if it is delivered at 120V or 240V. However, there is relatively less overhead (electricity going to fans, pumps, and heaters for the battery) when charging at 240V, so it is also WAY more efficient. Also, you may (read "WILL") not complete the charging during the off-peak time with the 120V charger...

Just returned from a 2000 mile road trip in our 2018 Model 3. It was the best road trip I've been on. It was quite, comfortable, charging stations (superchargers) whenever you needed them, and the autopilot took the stress out of driving. Our Tesla is the best car we have owned. Charge at home on the CA PG&E EV plan and figure I get about 110 miles compared to a ICE car getting 20 MPG.

Reactions: Tron 3
Best compromise is to buy the 14-50 adapter for the mobile charger, and have the electrician install a 240V 50A circuit with a 14-50 outlet. Charging rate is a bit less than the hard-wired wall charger (32A vs 40A), but is still enough to recharge from 0 overnight. It saves you $500 for the wall charger. Bonus is that hubby can use it for other things like a welder or air compressor when not charging...

You will NOT be happy with 120V charging on a long-term basis. The 14-50 adapter gives you about 30 mi of added range per hour of charging at that 32A rate (30 mi/hr in Teslaspeak); the 120V adapter will only give you 4-5 mi/hr. As far as the electric company is concerned, a watt-hour is a watt-hour, regardless of if it is delivered at 120V or 240V. However, there is relatively less overhead (electricity going to fans, pumps, and heaters for the battery) when charging at 240V, so it is also WAY more efficient. Also, you may (read "WILL") not complete the charging during the off-peak time with the 120V charger...

fans, pumps, and heaters for the batters are a factor only in winter (sub zero) temps right? Otherwise is overhead really that high

Also factor in OP has a SR so it's 32A max, but 120V also gives 5 miles/hr. I recommend a 6-20 for the best compromise of wiring cost vs charging speed.

I thought I was on time use but right after I posted I checked my bill and it looks to be flat rate regardless of time of day, but increases after 600kWh. I mistook the >600 increase as peak vs off peak. So I guess it doesn't really matter.

OP was talking about money. In that case just charge when it is cheap, but do try and avoid really dirty electricity meaning hours when it is mostly coal sourced.

Are you ? In terms of electricity charging losses the main improvement is using 240v rather than 120v. Amperage increases are a trade-off between resistance losses than that scale up quadraticaly and fixed losses that drop linearly.

I source my electricity from a third party that gets it from wind energy rather than PSEG's source.

That's what I figured, I didn't want to have it plugged in for 12+ hours at a time. Was hoping just a few hours overnight would be sufficient.

HWPC won’t matter anyway since OP is buying an SR (32A charger)

Oh dear, I'm afraid I don't know what this means. Are you saying with an SR I shouldn't bother with a higher voltage outlet?

Oh dear, I'm afraid I don't know what this means. Are you saying with an SR I shouldn't bother with a higher voltage outlet?
Go for a 240v installation.

He meant that the Tesla Model 3 SR+ on board charger is limited to 32 Amps, as is the Tesla supplied mobile EVSE. Charging is never faster than the slowest part of the chain, in your case 32 amps

I think what he means by can't understand how it works is really just to say if something breaks he won't be able to fix it himself or even have any ideas other than sending you off to the service station and hoping it doesn't turn into a big bill. For some men this might be a hard pill to take. I think that he is good with traditional mechanics and his hands is actually what is getting in the way (mind-wise). For someone like that it is very hard to 'let go' of the responsibility and pride of doing things yourself. Fixing any new car these days is nothing like fixing a car from the mid 90's and you need to first be upfront and honest about now being the time you relinquish that burden of knowing how everything works and being able to fix it yourself. The benefit of finally letting go of this able to be mended mindset is a huge leap in performance and personal convenience. It may help to point out the fact that EVs are drastically more reliable mechanically and therefore a lot less likely to need constant attention.

• Love
Reactions: ellienovember