Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice needed - how exterminate rat in car??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Odd for Houston though. Colder climates they'd be attracted by the heat of the battery. Nice place to spend a cold winter.

I was thinking about that. I've lived here 20 years with no rat problems. I'm wondering if the flood displaced a lot of them, so they're out there looking for new homes just like a lot of people. I was extremely lucky and my house didn't flood. But less than a mile away many homes did flood. It was very random where the water got high enough to enter houses and where it didn't.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
I only have one camera in the garage now, pointed under the S, and haven't seen the rat any more. That was scary. I kept expecting the car to start having electrical problems and I didn't want to pay for the repairs.

I cleaned the garage to see if I could find any holes, and I did find damage I believe was from the rat. I'll post some pictures shortly, have to go take them. But I think he was trying to escape. The damage was to the drywall, and it didn't lead outside - if it was the rat he was frustrated because he only found wood when he dug through the drywall. I believe he hitched a ride into the garage in the S, and wanted out, and finally did bail out one day when I parked at some local business. Or left the night I left the door cracked open, although I saw no sign of him on the cameras.

Reactions: Max*
He tried to get out at the left side of the garage door, and the right side of the door. Here are two pictures of the damage to the drywall. The chewed up drywall was in the floor below these damaged areas.
IMG_7978.JPG
IMG_7980.JPG
IMG_7980.JPG

Hey, if your rat is interested, just PM me if I'll give him a referral code for unlimited supercheesing

I'm happy to answer the Rat's questions about the rear facing seats and how well they will fit accommodate up to 16 rat pups .

• Funny
Reactions: bonnie
Late to the party, but I had a major rat problem at my old house, and the surprising way to catch them is to have a bucket of flour wrapped in a plastic bag with a small opening.

They'll come into the bag, fall into the bucket of flour, and for some reason, they won't know how to get back out. Used to catch 2-3 a night with these make-shift traps.

I'm sorry I came to the party late but feel the need to correct one thing:
"rodents of unusual size" is = ROUS. Tsk tsk to the owner that offered up the iocane powder solution without correcting that as well :oops:

Late to the party, but I had a major rat problem at my old house, and the surprising way to catch them is to have a bucket of flour wrapped in a plastic bag with a small opening.

They'll come into the bag, fall into the bucket of flour, and for some reason, they won't know how to get back out. Used to catch 2-3 a night with these make-shift traps.
And THIS is the Skyfall solution, only you leave them in the bucket until there's only one left and then release it because by that time it'll only feed on other rats :eek:

Reactions: Xenoilphobe

Did they die in there? How did you dispose of them?

Did they die in there? How did you dispose of them?
Why, you'd deep fry them of course!

I guess this is a dumb question, but how is this rat getting inside your car? It's pretty big and I wouldn't think there would be any openings large enough for it to get inside but obviously it is in there. I have watched the videos (in horror) and what I am thinking is what if it jumps out while you are driving? I would have a heart attack and wreck, I am sure. I am hyperventilating just thinking about it. OMG. It is huge!

Hi Electricfan,

I really like the Tomcat Rat Size Glue traps. They never trip by mistake. They are always on guard.
They will pick off stray mice, spiders, roaches... It's a long list. 2 pack is $4
I have them strategically placed along the walls near each corner of the garage.
You have visual evidence of capture...

Shawn

I guess this is a dumb question, but how is this rat getting inside your car? It's pretty big and I wouldn't think there would be any openings large enough for it to get inside but obviously it is in there. I have watched the videos (in horror) and what I am thinking is what if it jumps out while you are driving? I would have a heart attack and wreck, I am sure. I am hyperventilating just thinking about it. OMG. It is huge!

I suspect that the rat didn’t actually make it into the interior of the car, but rather just stayed in the area with the mechanical and electrical stuff. Still not good to have a rat there as it could chew through wires or cause other problems, but I think it was very unlikely that it would just appear by your feet as you were driving.

On a side note, here’s a cat that suddenly appeared in the wing of an ultralight as it was flying:eek: You can see the pilot do a double take when he first spots it.

I suspect that the rat didn’t actually make it into the interior of the car, but rather just stayed in the area with the mechanical and electrical stuff. Still not good to have a rat there as it could chew through wires or cause other problems, but I think it was very unlikely that it would just appear by your feet as you were driving.

On a side note, here’s a cat that suddenly appeared in the wing of an ultralight as it was flying:eek: You can see the pilot do a double take when he first spots it.

Wow! That poor cat! I am so glad it didn't fly off into space and made a safe landing with the ultralight. That is amazing. I'll be that cat doesn't climb around on that ultralight again! Amazing video. Thanks.
As for the rat, that was pretty disgusting and I thought one of the videos showed it inside the car. That's really gross. I just happened onto this thread and after posting initially, realized this was from October. Do we know if the rat was ever, ummmm, removed?