Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on Model S Purchase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking for a Model S, I'm not in a rush and have heard the rumors about some changes coming soon. We have a Model X and this will be replacing the last ICE we own :)

Anyways, I've been curious to know what the thoughts are on a new 75D/100D versus a CPO P90DL. I really like the price points for the performance models, but not sure if there have been any major or big updates for the more recent VINs. Any information and information I've missed is greatly appreciated!

It really depends on what your priorities are - maximizing range? Acceleration? Options included? Refreshed hardware (such as new seats, HW2/AP2, new face, etc). You haven't included when the P90DL was manufactured, so there are variations with it. The P90DL probably has about the same range as your Model X90 - if you're happy with that, then keep with it. Personally, I find that the added weight of the 100 makes the ride quality a little rougher. I'd say some of it is a mixed bag but a test drive of each might help sort it out - if you can. I believe the S models coming out now have different motors that may be far more durable (I believe this was announced in July).

Model 3 does not match with Model S for range and performance.

Of course, if cheaper price is emphasized, then wait for Model 3.

Sorry maybe my point was lost.

We still do not know all the details of the 3. They will wait on those details till they have time to add features to s and x as not to canniblize sales.

Sorry maybe my point was lost.

We still do not know all the details of the 3. They will wait on those details till they have time to add features to s and x as not to canniblize sales.

You've got a very good point.

Right now, Tesla is anti-selling Model 3.

We don't know whether the range and performance are methodically software limited or being designed to show that it is inferior to Model S.

To get a true capability of Model 3, we need to see Tesla changing its tune and start to promote it.

I don't see that coming until the 500,000 orders are depleted.

You've got a very good point.

Right now, Tesla is anti-selling Model 3.

We don't know whether the range and performance are methodically software limited or being designed to show that it is inferior to Model S.

To get a true capability of Model 3, we need to see Tesla changing its tune and start to promote it.

I don't see that coming until the 500,000 orders are depleted.

I would settle from some pics and a review not getting paid (employee or news)

Unless you want to wait for the likely 85kWh refresh, or elusive interior update, I would wait until October 15th and try to get an inventory model S75D. They should all have DU00 drive units and uncorked 4.2 second 0-60 times by then. I doubt you get any new announcements between October 15th and end of year.

Reactions: No ICE
Thanks everyone for the helpful input!

I guess the 0.99% is atteactive and it has be considering it quickly. A refreshed P90D for the speed seems like it would be great and enough for us, the 75D is an option, just not sure and need to drive it.

The 75D of last year was okay, but the acceleration from around 60 - 75+ was very lackluster and not what I was expecting.

I think I'll look around and also consider holding off for now, it seems like updates could be coming soon.

VINs correlate w order date, not production date. Call and ask for the production date. June 21 or later is almost certainly new. Before 15 June is unlikely.
I don't think it will have it, not sure if it even really makes a big difference to be honest. Maybe it's just the whole mentality of buying a new vehicle, but not entirely brand new hardware. I think the one I'm looking at was completed around April or May of this year and near the end of the 90 packs.

We've had a Model S P85 since early 2013, and this year plan to buy two new Tesla cars.

The first came in March, an S 100D, which replaced our Jaguar ICE - and will be our road trip car, with the larger storage space and range.

Later this year (we hope), we'll replace our S P85 with a Model 3 with the 310 battery pack, which will be my wife's commuter car. It will have the range for road trips, but not the storage.

I briefly considered getting an S P100D, when there was such a long delay between the P100D introduction and the S 100D - but chose to wait for the 100D, because it has longer range than the performance version, and spending $40+K on performance we wouldn't ever use in normal driving didn't make sense, at least for us. The 0-60 4.2 sec acceleration of our S P85 and S 100D is fast enough.

I would recommend going with the 100D vs. a 75 - because the extra range can make a big difference on road trips.

not sure if it even really makes a big difference
It doesn't really matter for quickness now, especially for the L. There may be some headroom to extract performance outside of warranty as well as some long term reliability benefits. If you were thinking of turning it into a track car in ten years I would say look around for the new drive unit. If you are reselling it in five I wouldn't spend a minute thinking about it.