Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice to my sister on Tesla purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My sister lives in Erie,Pa (IIRC third largest city in Pa). The closest SC is Clevand or Pittsburg. She wants to buy a Model S but is hesitant about having to get to a distant SC. I agreed with her decision to not buy a Tesla for this reason. There are probably thousands of others in hundreds of locations that face the same dilemma. How big will Tesla need to be to really spread out its distribution of SCs ?

Erie to Cleveland is about 102 miles. I live about 70 miles from the nearest SC. As you know, Teslas seldom require service. In my case, I have AAA membership that will flatbed a car up to 200 miles, if need be. If I were in her shoes, I'd just buy the car and not worry about it.

And even if she needs to go to to the SC in the fall or winter, Cleveland has a great NFL team. Stay over and watch a game. ;)

Whatever her decision...good luck and have fun!

Last edited:
Reactions: r1200gs4ok and Somm
Teslas don't need service other than maybe a windshield wiper every five years or so. There are no oil or filter changes, no maintenance. It is extremely rare that any Tesla needs to be flatbedded to a Service Center. I've had three Teslas with a total of nearly 190,000 miles on them and I NEVER took them in for service other than my first, where they were trying to figure out door handles. The last two have had virtually no problems. And if one ever needs some kind of attention, the car is usually perfectly driveable.

I live 115 miles from my SC. Do I care?? No. Service is something you won't need. Buy the car and enjoy it. Quit thinking of Teslas in terms of all those old oil and gas burners we used to drive. It's not the same thing.

Current cars are Model S, 98000 miles, no service, one repair, and our new baby, Milli's Model 3, 20,000 miles, no service, no repairs.

When we did need repair once, we were 500 miles from home. We drove it home, (Center screen went blank) and drove it the 115 miles to Tesla center next day. Fixed while we were there.

I will go against the other posters and agree you made the right decision to advise her to not buy. While, you might get lucky and get a Tesla that never needs service center repairs, you might not. The 3 I have owned have been the most unreliable cars I have ever owned. Still love them, but it can be a trial dealing with a long distance service center.

If taking off days of work to drive the car down to a distant service center isn’t something you are willing to do, then I would not buy the car. It would stink to tell your sister it will be fine, and she loses the luck of the dice roll on Tesla quality.

Thanks all, I appreciate everyones advice. Does one get the same mobile service quality/response regardless of distance from SC ?
Aside from one mobile visit, my 1.7 year old MS only needs the SC to repair the acceleration shudder. That is going to take place this Wed at the new, very close by SC in Superior Co !
I'll talk too my sis again and tell her that the advantage could out weigh the risks, especially considering the AAA towing.

Tesla is expanding their network of service centers. My car right now is being serviced (for the half-shaft shudder) at the just opened (within the last month) Wilmington DE service center. That means there are three within a reasonable driving distance for me now (Wilmington DE, Devon PA, and Cherry Hill NJ) and one a little further (Owings Mills MD). The service advisor and possibly some techs at the Wilmington SC were originally located at the Devon SC.

Now as to how they make the determination of where to put a service center, I assume it has to do with how busy a certain region is.

Well is Sis a retired person with plenty of time on her hands and the patience of Jobe. No problem??? Really??? 2hrs to the SC??? Really, she doesn't even need to come back??? Well lets see. Does Tesla have an Indy style repair team just waiting for Sis to arrive, so she can be out in 1hr or less = 5hrs to be home, or are they going to take her car in, and who knows how long it's going to take, just like everyone else. AAA is not going to tow her car just for her connivence, it has to not run, otherwise she is driving. Does Sis like football, and want to have to decide whether to stay overnight, to avoid another 4hr drive? Are they going to have a loaner car for her, that's been skechy lately. Uber her home? and then another 4 hr trip hack. What if it takes a week to get parts? Uber everywhere or does she have another car on standby at home? How about we get real. Is Sis in for all that, or want gamble on never needing SC service. All depends on Sis, does she want a Tesla that much? No way would I tell my Sis to put herself in the position

Reactions: Dan Baldwin
As to annoyance, I owned Toyotas for decades. My "fondest" memories are of taking the car in for "service", which usually meant going 25 miles to the dealer and waiting four hours for them to get to my car, and then paying the ridiculous bill. This DOES NOT HAPPEN with my Teslas. 190,000 miles, no service, one repair, eight years. This is the NORM, not some crap-shoot luck.

The bad luck people will try to say that service centers need to be close and numerous, but they are simply wrong. I live in Central California, see dozens or hundreds of Teslas on the road every day, but when you go to the Service Center, which are few and very far between, it's crickets. Electrics last longer, make less noise, pollute about one-eighth of gas cars, need less service and repairs. And Tesla is King of the Pack.

Your sis could have bad service experiences way easier with a conventional car at conventional dealers. I've been there. For years and years and years. Tesla opened my eyes.

As to annoyance, I owned Toyotas for decades. My "fondest" memories are of taking the car in for "service", which usually meant going 25 miles to the dealer and waiting four hours for them to get to my car, and then paying the ridiculous bill. This DOES NOT HAPPEN with my Teslas. 190,000 miles, no service, one repair, eight years. This is the NORM, not some crap-shoot luck.

The bad luck people will try to say that service centers need to be close and numerous, but they are simply wrong. I live in Central California, see dozens or hundreds of Teslas on the road every day, but when you go to the Service Center, which are few and very far between, it's crickets. Electrics last longer, make less noise, pollute about one-eighth of gas cars, need less service and repairs. And Tesla is King of the Pack.

Your sis could have bad service experiences way easier with a conventional car at conventional dealers. I've been there. For years and years and years. Tesla opened my eyes.

It's all anecdotal. The message/author I've quoted is on the "good side". I've been on both sides myself.

Me, first six (6) months with S in city with one (1) service center 20 miles from home: zero issues, zero visits..."bad advice. Purchase!"
Me, months 7-24 with S (months 1-15 with X) in city with 2 service centers, either 38 or 42 miles from home: two vehicle-undriveable-tow situations, four "not-Rangerable" warranty repairs, two driveable-but-emergency situations, and two Ranger vists..."2 hrs to a SC? Be careful!"
Me, months 25-56 with S in same city but increased Ranger availability, after 5 Ranger visits and 2 non-Rangerable SC visits, one resulting in Tesla workers damaging the car..."It will depend on your car *shrug emoji*"

A key part is the tightness of the schedule on the Rangers - after replacing a busted door handle, I asked him to check out a potentially loose rear window. He said "unless its on the appt notes, we don't have time to check", but squeezed in the task since my in-person description gave him a hunch of what it was (a single bolt not being tight enough, and could be accessed easily enough that it could be done in 5 minutes).

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
It's all anecdotal.

This - and very much this. When I referenced the new service center being built in my area, I am sure it's because the last time I went in for service (screen yellowing fix when I first got my car), the service center was packed to the gills with Teslas to the point that I couldn't find a parking spot. Now I am certain that not all of those cars were in for service; some I am sure were deliveries, loaners, etc... but still.

While Teslas (and EVs in general) don't require as much routine mechanical maintenance, there are things that go wrong. Rich Benoit (Rich Rebuilds on YouTube) recently did a video on typical EV issues. Might be worth a watch by the OP as it provides a lot of context.

My sister lives in Erie,Pa (IIRC third largest city in Pa).
The closest SC is Clevand or Pittsburg. She wants to buy a Model S but is hesitant about having to get to a distant SC.
I agreed with her decision to not buy a Tesla for this reason. There are probably thousands of others in hundreds of locations that face the same dilemma. How big will Tesla need to be to really spread out its distribution of SCs ?
If she already has a car, I would recommend to keep it if she don't have parking issue and don't need to sale it because of it's value.

I had some minor body shop done for my car but it took a while to get the parts and to have the body shop starting to work on it.

So having a spare car is a way to mitigate possible issues from driving a car from a new car maker like Tesla.

An other topic is to see how she would be able to charge. If she has a garage or a driveway and can charge at home or at work this would be ideal.

If she will have to use public chargers or Superchargers and had a commute requiring to charge everyday, this might also be an issue.

Otherwise, in general after a test drive it is difficult not to decide getting a Tesla.

Any car can breakdown. Dealerships open and close all the time. No guarantee any car will have close by service for the life of ownership.

While some cars of any manufacturer will need service at some time or another, the Tesla advantage of less moving parts should end result of less services needed.

Most of the Japaneese cars that have great reliability reputations were designed that way by the factory. They are mostly boring cars with soft shocks and springs that will reduce rattles. They have detuned motors that run easily for lots of miles. They are lightweight, so brakes and tires tend to last. They also have narrow tires that tend to last long times. The end result is that these underperforming cars can do workman like transportation for many miles, but offer no joy to the driver. The transmissions are smoothed out, due to low performing and low reving engines. The cars are relatively the same, year after year.

Compared to European vehicles. They often have high reving, turbo/supercharged motors with complicated valve trains. They have wide tires that offer exciting cornering. They have large brakes, stiff springs and firm shifting transmissions. They are fun but tend to require more services and repairs.

Now this forum has a razor focus on any weakness from our beloved Tesla. If two people note the same issue, it becomes a crisis. Tesla is growing at at tremendous rate and service centers are running hard to keep up, but it seems an though they have the right employees to keep up the pace and address each issue as it comes up. An occasional shortcoming will find posters shouting about it at the top of their lungs (keyboards).

Over all Tesla are fine cars. They have issues like every manufacturer. They provide advanced technology and a pathway to cleaner Urban air.

• Love
Reactions: Watts_Up
I will go against the other posters and agree you made the right decision to advise her to not buy. While, you might get lucky and get a Tesla that never needs service center repairs, you might not. The 3 I have owned have been the most unreliable cars I have ever owned. Still love them, but it can be a trial dealing with a long distance service center.

If taking off days of work to drive the car down to a distant service center isn’t something you are willing to do, then I would not buy the car. It would stink to tell your sister it will be fine, and she loses the luck of the dice roll on Tesla quality.

agreed. you could get a good car that doesn't have problems or you could get ones like mine (S&X) which collectively have had to be serviced at least ten times in the past year and a half for various issues. and tesla service is a pain in the ass. they kept my X seven days last month and didn't even start working on it until day 7. and without a loaner program in place for a long distance service center, for some people it's a hassle that isn't worth dealing with.

Teslas don't need service other than maybe a windshield wiper every five years or so. There are no oil or filter changes, no maintenance.

They have very few requirements, but it isn't zero.

Check the manual and you'll see the need for periodic replacement of the cabin air filter, AC desiccant, also brake fluid checks and depending on where you are located, an annual brake lubrication

Why is it you keep telling people this?

Roblab has had a bunch of work done on his Teslas including taking your first one in "about once a month" for service for awhile. For those who want to see it in his own words, see posts I pointed to at the below:
2017 Model 3 Reliability
Car and Driver suffers Model 3 failure on 12/25, but car told them about it remotely

And, there was also an MCU that cost you $2300 in there.
IThe message/author I've quoted is on the "good side".
Because he often omits or forgets (?) about his service visits. See above.

My sister lives in Erie,Pa (IIRC third largest city in Pa). The closest SC is Clevand or Pittsburg. She wants to buy a Model S but is hesitant about having to get to a distant SC. I agreed with her decision to not buy a Tesla for this reason. There are probably thousands of others in hundreds of locations that face the same dilemma. How big will Tesla need to be to really spread out its distribution of SCs ?

I live in Michigan. The closest SC is 3 hours away out of state. I have had my 2017 S90D going on 4 years and 44k miles. I have had to bring my car in to the service center a grand total of ZERO times so far. I did have mobile service come to my house to replace the 12v battery (still drivable) and front seat because it had a crease in the leather upon delivery. I will bring it in for a glance over one time this summer before my warranty expires. I did have new tires and an alignment done but I could use Belle Tire for that. (I purchased lift pucks to help protect the battery when they lift the car.).

Glad I didn’t hesitate to buy my Tesla out of fear of “potentially” having to bring it in. Could your experience be different? Yes. I guess it all depends on your risk tolerance and perhaps some luck.

Last edited:
@cwerdna My sons Chevy Bolt has been in for repairs somewhere around 2 dozen times! The fun has not ended for him either, has to go back again... He still really likes it though, and we would recommend it as a competent electric car but we would also tell you Tesla is better. His dealer experience hasn't been stellar. He is starting to have a paint issue (metal flake black) already too!

Last edited: