Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

advice: what should I offer for this 2016 S 70 transferable SC01?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I thought about $32.5K offer with $33.5K ceiling; 😧 😧 😧 😧 😧
But there is reason not to offer ~20% lower than current $41K ask now -- avoid turning so-far-friendly discourse into debate...?
What I did before & should do again -- ask to be informed 24 hrs ahead of next price drop...
based on your prediction of others responding to $37K, I might make my ~10% lower offer then preceded by test ride...
I'm trying to be helpful and realistic with you b/c you have acknowledged that you have not bought used cars before. (I have bought 10 myself, and am trying to share some basics with you.)

This is not about being friendly, and you don't want to get into any debates. You're trying to bargain hard to get the price you want. Be direct but terse in your communications. You've already done something very unusual - "ask to be informed 24 hours ahead of next price drop." In general, sellers do not want to go back and forth with so many communications. There's a good chance that this seller already views you as not a serious buyer.

I think you know enough, based upon what you are looking for, to start trying to negotiate for the price you want. From this point forward, be polite but concise in your communications, and try not to keep "kicking the tires" with too many questions, waiting for test drives, waiting for price drops, etc. You will be able to get a test drive before you hand over any money, so just try to get your desired price first. If you discover through price negotiations that there is no way that you'll get your price, then you don't have to waste any further time with questions.

Last edited:
Honestly, @RIB-JIG ? It’s great that you’re excited about getting into your first EV and seem to have found one you really love. However, based on your initial thread/post about range and charging times, looks like you’re depending on this car as part of your livelihood. To the point that minutes spent charging and optimizing stops are crucial. So outside of the price/negotiation for this car, do know that even if the 238 reported full charge miles is with rated, you will not get that in real life due to a myriad of factors. It’ll be much worse in the fall/winter as well. So keep that in mind before you take the plunge. Not trying to dissuade you by any means, but just picking up on the biggest factors for you based on previous posts. Last thing we’d want to see is you landing this car at the price you wanted and then seeing a post from you two weeks later saying you only travelled 180miles in 32deg weather with the HVAC on before the battery was at 5%…

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
But there is reason not to offer ~20% lower than current $41K ask now -- avoid turning so-far-friendly discourse into debate...?
What I did before & should do again -- ask to be informed 24 hrs ahead of next price drop...
based on your prediction of others responding to $37K, I might make my ~10% lower offer then preceded by test ride...

Listen to Wally and the others offering sage advice. This polite dance you’re trying to engage in isn’t going to improve your chances of landing this car.

1) decide the maximum amount you are willing to pay.

2) make a straightforward offer at or below that number and be prepared to negotiate.

This will make everyone’s life easier, both yours and the seller.

My estimate for a vehicle like this is $28k, tops. Similar and better spec’ed versions are selling for $32k on auto tempest.

Several red flags that give me pause.

- low mileage. Typically this is a good thing, but on the older model s’ with the large drive unit, this is actually a bad thing. Low mileage means it’s been sitting for a while, which can cause the seals to leak. A replacement drive unit is $5k-8k.

- MCU1. It’s slow. It’s irritating. The MCU2 upgrade will set you back $1500.

- I do not trust the range figures. The Florida heat is more difficult on batteries.

- lastly, and I know I’ll catch flack for this - it’s for sale in Florida. I always take extra precaution with cars in Florida as the descriptions are rarely accurate. I’d check every panel for repair evidence and overspray.

I hope you will let us know how this turns out. I'm really invested now!

Thanks for additional advice above.
~noon from owner:
"Just accepted an offer 20 minutes ago.
They have not yet seen car and I haven't gotten deposit so we'll see what happens."
:( not :( a :( happy :( camper :(
AutoTrader price is $40999 -- don't know buyer offer.
Still, would not go above $35K based on advice here...
I replied depending on amount, I might beat offer $500-1000. No further response.
I also required seller send Tesla new car bill of sales to evidence transferable SC01.
I have learned travel FUSC stops will be determined by ABRP or similar, not by 237 ?rated? range.
Driving in cold weather would be rare -- atop western US mountains temporarily.

Last edited:
Meh, cars and deals will come and go. Never want to rush into anything. You’re still getting familiar with car, process, etc. Another suitable car will come along…
Also, I’ve never fully understood your statements/posts about charging stops. What are you stating/asking wrt ABRP?

Never want to rush into anything...I’ve never fully understood your statements/posts about charging stops. What are you stating/asking wrt ABRP?
Thanks for comment.
AFAICT, I've been calculating, yet to make offer.
no used car bargaining experience but do have (successful IMO) used condo bargaining experience...
what would be better than this red beauty? ❓ ❓ ❓
a higher rated range SC01 unicorn which EVERYONE wants... 😱😱😱

As to long distance charging, I've learned
237 rated range 70%==>10%==>70%==10% etc. is unrealistic idealistic station spacing;
ABRP or similar is real world station spacing derived from 237 rated range;

Per responses on your other threads, you are looking for a very specific car (Red with FUSC) and are bummed at missing out on a couple so far. Assuming the next one that comes along is sound and in good condition, I suggest you just settle on a price you’re willing to pay that won’t leave you feeling ripped off and go for it vs regretting missing out again by asking for advice here over a couple grand’s difference. Advice here will be strictly based on how good of a deal it is based on other cars without your must have items. Unicorn (to you) means you’re willing to pay more.

Thanks. Red preferred.
Otherwise will wrap red or similar photogenic color.
Wrap = ~$6K...?
So have to add that to non-red colors...
Am going to pursue 2016 S-X 90D's & offer ~$42K...?
under 40K miles, FUSC, MUSC2, newish tires;
One with small dent might get accepted?