Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice with private sales?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mark Linton

Supporting Member
Jun 3, 2023
Bay Area
Hi All!
We are thinking of changing over to an S from our current Model X (2022). Does anyone have pointers on the best way to sell to other genuinely interested and enthusiastic Tesla fans? Sites like auto trader only seem to invite scammers to posts. Thanks for any pointers!
Mark L.

Just be careful and insist on wire transfer. I've heard of numerous stories of title being handed over, seller given a fake check or money order, and then car on its way to the port awaiting transport to XYZ country. I'm not sure if insurance would still cover in situations like these. This is my biggest fear about selling a car and that's why I always shop around to see which company (Carmax, Caravana, Vroom, etc...) offers the best price.

Reactions: Mark Linton
Upvote 0
Just be careful and insist on wire transfer. I've heard of numerous stories of title being handed over, seller given a fake check or money order, and then car on its way to the port awaiting transport to XYZ country. I'm not sure if insurance would still cover in situations like these. This is my biggest fear about selling a car and that's why I always shop around to see which company (Carmax, Caravana, Vroom, etc...) offers the best price.
Thank you I appreciate this!

Upvote 0
If you do wire transfer, don't believe the email that says your wire transfer has completed: that can be faked. There are numerous stories of this happening in real estate fraud (bummer-have a scammer steal your house)! Instead, go to your bank website and verify the wired funds are actually in your account, don't rely on emails.

I do accept certified checks or bank checks. I tell the seller they must give me the check number and exact information on the check, including their bank contact information and my contact information that was included on the cashier's/bank check. As soon as they have the bank cut the check, I instruct them they must call me with that information (before they arrive to pick up the car). Before the seller shows up, I verify the bank phone number online, call the bank, and ask if they will please verify the certified/bank check. Obviously, this verification must occur on a business day in order to call the bank. All the banks have been willing to verify a particular cashier's check was indeed cut for x amount of $, payable to me. Then I feel confident that the cashier's/bank check they hand me is totally legitimate.

Upvote 0
I've sold two cars privately on Cars.com. Haven't had any problems.

Were these cars you owned outright (clear title in hand), or did they have any loans/liens? I tried to sell a Jeep that I owned outright back in 2010 on Cars.com and it sucked. Got a lot of consignment scammers contacting me and the few "customers" interested in the vehicle ended up being scammers too.

Upvote 0