Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After 3 months and a couple days with a Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like you don't know how to operate the car. Tell me if you have yet read the user manual. I feel like you don't know how regenerative braking works (you probably release the go pedal when you press the seat heater button). For autopilot, the car stops at the intersection even on green unless there's a leading car on an older software version. You probably don't know this and many other things, like why the car lock you out from using autopilot again. This enough tells me how knowledgeable you are on autopilot. I have never get locked out in 2.5 years using autopilot.

Depending on which software version is installed on the car, your car can operate differently. The latest software version does remove confirmation on a green light. Please educate yourself with the user manual first before complaining since you lack the knowledge on how the car operates.

100% agree. He/she def did not read the owners manual. If they did, they’d know even at green traffic lights the car requires the driver to confirm to drive through the green light (which can be done by pushing the gear selection stalk down or a gentle press of the accelerator. I’m running the latest sw and still have to confirm going through a green light (guess it’s a new setting to disable).

I have had zero issues with the operations of my Y or the nav system. All works great.

People who complain about the jerkiness of the on/off throttle don’t know how to modulate it. They just press the accelerator or lift off it 100% instead of gradually. For people who know how to drive a car smoothly, they get how to drive an EV very quickly.

Eg, let my friend drive my Y the other week (COVID safe practices). Explained to him how regen works and how an EV gives 100% torque right away. Told him to modulate the accelerator when lifting off like how one would gradually press it to go faster. He got after the first 500 feet. All it took was for him was to get a feel for how regen worked. My gf, who has more of a lead foot on gas/brake, got it after driving about a total of 2 hours.

It saddens me to hear these types of people not learning their vehicle and then complaining to their friends...which scares them off of getting an EV.

Last edited:
Seems OP may have been in the short-seller bunch with the TSLA stock!?

Seriously though, I have never had ANY of the problems that the OP has had, allegedly. The autopilot definitely takes some getting used to, if you have never used such technology.

To OP,
It's not too far-fetched to get back 90% of your purchase price if you want to be rid of the Y. IMO, if the car is, in fact, threatening you and your family's life by being in it, 10% loss would be a small price to pay.

Reactions: schlacterdream
Needless to say, Tesla’s are not setup the same. This can’t be a matter of “wires being crossed under the dash.”

It’s pretty clear that this is a joke post from OP given the descriptions of some of their “issues.” If its serious, I’d be worried about this person’s ability to confidently control a motor vehicle enough for them to be on the road.

Sorry, I didn’t add the “/s” to y post.

Reactions: jsight
Steering and brakes are fundamental. I'm familiar with CANbus, but have no idea of Tesla's implementation. No auto manufacturer, Tesla included, is going to make it easy for a noob or hacker to create a death-trap through a simple wiring "mistake".

There's a lot of money at stake so lots of deep-pocked people and organizations are trying hard to kill Tesla. The media will be all over Tesla's smallest hiccups, especially when it's complete fabricated BS.

Needless to say, Tesla’s are not setup the same. This can’t be a matter of “wires being crossed under the dash.”

@TwoMetreBill most of the focus in replies so far has been around your breaking and AP issues. I have a question and a point about a couple of your other items:

- Re: front license plate mounting. What is your specific concern here? Was the plate holder not installed for you when you picked up your Y? Or it was installed and you don't like how it works? I'm just curious what the exact issue is here as it isn't clear from your post.

- Re: Frunk closure. You compared it to a Yugo's trunk closure. Frunk and trunk closures are quite different things so you're comparing apples to oranges. If your Model Y's (or Yugo's) trunk/hatch were to open while you're driving, it would be unfortunate, but it wouldn't fly up in front of you and obstruct your forward visibility. A hood or frunk cover opening while the vehicle is moving is a far more serious issue. This is why traditional ICE cars have both a release inside the vehicle and an additional "catch" release you have to trigger standing in front of the car (which you're unlikely to be doing while moving). Even if one of those were to fail while the car was moving, you'd still be safe. This isn't much of a convenience issue with an ICE vehicle as you rarely need/want to get under the hood, but I can see how it's annoying with a frunk. But unless I've misunderstood your concern (as again you didn't provide much detail other than to compare it to a Yugo's trunk), it's inconvenient for your safety. You know, so your car doesn't try to kill you, for example.

Reactions: Kamban
Next he will go to Reddit Tesla forum as another user and point to this post as reason why Tesla sucks as “real time Tesla owner experience”. It’s difficult to believe what’s claimed here. And if unhappy, can afford a 65k car but can’t sell the most in demand vehicle in most in demand used car market because what?