Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After 4 years of ownership do you plan to keep your tesla ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Judging by the reliability of my mother-in-law's Fit, you'd have needed to stick with another 1997, not a new model.

Yeah, I’ve heard Honda has gone downhill in reliability. One of my neighbors has the same exact 1997 Honda as me, same color and everything. We joke that the cars are probably going to outlive us and whenever my car obsessed 11 yr old talks about getting a car once he gets a drivers license, I tell him “you can drive the Civic”. He screams :p

Reactions: jgs
Judging by the reliability of my mother-in-law's Fit, you'd have needed to stick with another 1997, not a new model.
Yeah the Fit was pretty terrible there for a while, particularly with that dreadful automatic transmission.

They did seem to peak in the mid-90s to mid 2000s, a high period of mechanical reliability before all of the electriconics “features” hit the mainstream and did a number on things.

A Civic or Accord from that period, particularly with a manual transmission, may well outlast us all. I had nearly 300k completely trouble free miles on a 2003 Accord 5MT.

As for me, so far so good with the Tesla at 2 years and 65k miles. No ESA here.

Reactions: FlyinLow and jgs
My 75D S lease will be up next August after 36 months. I am really leaning on buying the lease out at just under $50k. The way I look at it is: A new 75D makes no sense to me and I would be looking for a 100D anyway. Will retire in 2 years and a bigger battery would be nice but, not essential. I have had a couple repairs done the last 2 years but small potatoes. My only decision I guess will be a 2 year or 4 year extended warranty.

We kept our 2012 S P85 until it had about 95K miles and then traded it in for a 2018 X 100D. We purchased a 2017 S 100D last year, trading in our 2nd car (which was an ICE).

We plan to keep both of our S/X 100D's for at least 90K miles - and based on our experience with the 2012 S P85, we expect both vehicles to be in great shape when we eventually sell or trade them in. We purchased the extra 50K mile/4 year extended warranty for both of our 100D's.

We kept our 2012 S P85 until it had about 95K miles and then traded it in for a 2018 X 100D. We purchased a 2017 S 100D last year, trading in our 2nd car (which was an ICE).

We plan to keep both of our S/X 100D's for at least 90K miles - and based on our experience with the 2012 S P85, we expect both vehicles to be in great shape when we eventually sell or trade them in. We purchased the extra 50K mile/4 year extended warranty for both of our 100D's.
Any issues with your 2012? I just bought a CPO 2012 S and I'm hoping to keep it for a while.

I didnt want to mix this question with another one i posted today.

So, i have convinced my wife that Tesla is better car then our Accord, reliable and its fun to drive too.
But she asked me this - Ok , we will buy Tesla but in next 6-8 years no more car change. (she is mad because we just got 2018 accord touring which i want to trade for Tesla )
Now, i know Tesla will give us 4 years warranty. After that extension is possible but costly.
I would also like to keep my Tesla for 10 years if possible. Why not...
But after warranty period of 4 years how i will be able to afford to keep it if just screen replacement is 4000$ i heard?
In 4 years who knows how my financial situation will be .
Is there any option to buy extended warrany right now and get better price then doing it later?
If you['re already trading in a 2018 Honda for another car, you don't have to worry about it being reliable after 4 years. You won't have it that long.

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd and dhrivnak
I didnt want to mix this question with another one i posted today.

So, i have convinced my wife that Tesla is better car then our Accord, reliable and its fun to drive too.
But she asked me this - Ok , we will buy Tesla but in next 6-8 years no more car change. (she is mad because we just got 2018 accord touring which i want to trade for Tesla )
Now, i know Tesla will give us 4 years warranty. After that extension is possible but costly.
I would also like to keep my Tesla for 10 years if possible. Why not...
But after warranty period of 4 years how i will be able to afford to keep it if just screen replacement is 4000$ i heard?
In 4 years who knows how my financial situation will be .
Is there any option to buy extended warrany right now and get better price then doing it later?
I am 8 years in with my Tesla Roadster and 6 years past warranty. Less tha $2000 in repairs, actually one repair and tire pressure monitors. So while not great it has not been bad either.

Any issues with your 2012? I just bought a CPO 2012 S and I'm hoping to keep it for a while.

In the early years, Tesla swapped the motor and battery pack, as they were refining the designs. If there were any issues with those in a 2012 CPO, likely already addressed. The motor and battery packs didn't fail, just had smaller issues (balloon squeal during acceleration for the motor, and charging issue with the battery pack).

Had the front trunk latch fail - since it was under extended warranty, and to ensure they got the problem fixed, they replaced everything related to the latch.

And the other "major" item was the touchscreen - some of the early models saw air bubbles form between the touchscreen membrane and the display, requiring a replacement. The issue was only cosmetic and didn't affect operation.

Otherwise, had relatively few issues, compared to previous ICE vehicles - especially since only annual/12.5k mile maintenance is needed - not frequent oil changes.

We traded it in because we wanted to get an AP2 X that would seat 7 adults and hold more storage.

We plan to keep both of our S/X 100D's for at least 90K miles

This thinking that 100k miles is somehow taboo is entertaining. Tesla doesn’t help that by making their warranties expire at that magical number either.

I’m loving my 2014 S 85 that’s way out of warranty on the small stuff at 135k miles. I plan on driving it for a long time. Even if I have to replace the battery after 10 years that will still be cheaper than buying a new car. It seems that other than peace of mind, people who buy the ESA never really replace enough under warranty to even add up to the price they paid. The battery and electric motor are already covered well beyond what an ESA can be purchased for anyway.

If a person has to have the newest AP, screen config or battery size then buying a new car is great to satisfy those desires.

I guess I justify buying a nice car because I keep them for 12-15 years or more. With OTA updates and free supercharging for life I’m willing to drive a “classic” with AP1 for the long run. Here’s to trying for 500k miles!

I'll add that Model S is my third car. My previous car I drove for 14 years (and still have it). And before that I had a junker that I pretty much drove into the ground. I hope to still have my S85 well into 300k, which assuming at my rate of miles consumption would be another 8 years. Bragging rights.

But I certainly have envy of the latest/greatest. When I drive a Model 3 or a newer Model S, there's enough difference that I start entertaining an upgrade ... but then decide it's still not worth it. I'm too emotionally invested into what I have and it's still one of the best cars on the planet as far as I'm concerned. Being able to daily drive one of these is a privilege not many have.

I guess I justify buying a nice car because I keep them for 12-15 years or more. With OTA updates and free supercharging for life I’m willing to drive a “classic” with AP1 for the long run. Here’s to trying for 500k miles!
Many of us desire to keep a nice car for a long time. It's an emotional investment as well as a financial one. However, a Tesla is unlike any car we've owned before: its flagship features are software-based, and software must be kept updated to interact with external services. The car itself may still be running 12-15 years from now, but the current OS version at that time may perform best on hardware which is several generations ahead of ours. I'm hopeful that Tesla will continue to provide OTA updates that perform well on old hardware, without dropping features we currently have. :)

In the early years, Tesla swapped the motor and battery pack, as they were refining the designs. If there were any issues with those in a 2012 CPO, likely already addressed. The motor and battery packs didn't fail, just had smaller issues (balloon squeal during acceleration for the motor, and charging issue with the battery pack).

Had the front trunk latch fail - since it was under extended warranty, and to ensure they got the problem fixed, they replaced everything related to the latch.

And the other "major" item was the touchscreen - some of the early models saw air bubbles form between the touchscreen membrane and the display, requiring a replacement. The issue was only cosmetic and didn't affect operation.

Otherwise, had relatively few issues, compared to previous ICE vehicles - especially since only annual/12.5k mile maintenance is needed - not frequent oil changes.

We traded it in because we wanted to get an AP2 X that would seat 7 adults and hold more storage.
Do you think there is anyway to find out if my CPO had those things replaced?

How was your experience with Las Vegas shop?
It will be my shop too once I get my Tesla

Hit and miss. 75% it's great. 25% of the time it's a huge WTF. There's been times where I've gotten absolutely stellar service that surpasses any other car service shop by a mile, and times where I felt like I was talking to Comcast about my cable bill..........It all really boils down to who you work with on your service visit.