Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After 8.0 update, radio turns ON when opening or closing driver door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe this "con" is posted somewhere but my search didn't turn it up yet, so here goes. When entering via the driver door or getting out, my radio turns on at a loud volume. If it was anything but a Tesla, I'd probably suspect a loose wire somewhere, but in my Model S pre AutoPilot model, I suspect I'll be calling the Orlando Tesla service center. Suggestions welcome!

• Informative
Reactions: TpGn
If the volume was at a mid-high level before you exit, it will lower the volume upon opening the door to get out and turn off with the car. Once you open the door to get it, it resumes that lower volume state, then goes to the original mod-high volume you had it at. I usually mitigate this by muting the audio with the left scroll wheel and enjoying some silence.

Maybe this "con" is posted somewhere but my search didn't turn it up yet, so here goes. When entering via the driver door or getting out, my radio turns on at a loud volume. If it was anything but a Tesla, I'd probably suspect a loose wire somewhere, but in my Model S pre AutoPilot model, I suspect I'll be calling the Orlando Tesla service center. Suggestions welcome!

I noticed this too, and it is new (and unwelcome) behavior. Same hardware, so it's definitely software.

Yeah, my radio was muted, then turned on as soon as I opened the door. In another instance, I opened the back door to put something on the seat and the radio came on; then I opened the driver's door and it didn't. And it's been known to play an AM station while claiming it was an FM station, while announcing the song being played was something from XM.

I played around with the sound level this morning. What I think it will do is this:

• Stop and put the car in park
  • Open the drivers door
  • adjust the volume level where you want it
  • Exit the vehicle.
Now what happened with me is the next time I entered the vehicle, the volume is about where I set it to in the steps above. I don't see anything about this in the documentation but this is what mine appears to be doing. I will have to see now if it stays that way over the next several trips. If it does, I think this is a cool feature.

I've been having this problem since the 8.0 update as well (really regretting making that update!). My S90D is less than a month old. I only use audio about half the time while driving. Sometimes I just want to relax in relative silence. At home I park in an underground garage and I often listen to AM radio so I generally mute the audio upon entering the garage. So this bug is particularly annoying to me.

A common scenario is that I mute the radio entering the garage, then park, open the door and the scratchy no signal radio comes back on. I hit mute again and leave the car. Then when I come back to the car later that day or the next morning, the scratchy no signal radio comes back on as soon as I open the door. I have to mute it again. So I'm having to mute the radio 3x each time I park and return to the car and I am treated to a surprise bit of loud white noise (of course it seems even louder when the car is parked) 2x for each time I park and return to the car. Not happy with this at all! Please post any solutions.

• Informative
Reactions: TpGn
... and to top it off, the display is completely incoherent. Here's what I saw on the radio description shortly after I got in the car: an AM frequency (520), an FM station (KCFR) and an XM description (sxmclassicvinyl).

upload_2016-10-5_18-38-44.png

• Informative
Reactions: markn455
I'm sure most of you have figured this out, but it looks like the only temporary solution is to manually roll the volume all the way down when you want to turn the audio off. Then roll it back up to turn it back on. High tech stuff here :)

• Informative
Reactions: brucet999
Yes, my classic S85 only started doing this with 8.0, and I am complaining to Tesla. Come on, how much beta testing was done before release? Not much IMO if the feature wasn't AP related.
Really, this is odd. My Classic 85 has always done this as far as I can remember. It might have started with 7.1 but I am pretty sure it has done it before then. In fact I will have to go back and check some of my earlier posts as I had made some suggestions as to how it could be improved.