Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After Killing Tesla Model Y SR, Musk Says New Normal Range Is 300 Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 3 was intended to be a BMW 3-series competitor; by extension the Y is an X3 competitor. Not meant to be in the price range of a Focus/Cruze/Escape/Trax. This is a decision I can get on board with. The more experience Tesla gets with manufacturing, they will eventually be able to produce even more affordable cars.
I hope Tesla lets the Nissan types chase the EV equivalent of those models.

In the EV era, I hope Tesla can be what the German brands were to ICE.

For those of us who can charge at home, long range only matters on the freeway when we take a trip. Unfortunately, that is also when the range drops dramatically.

My worst result to date: 230 mile rated range got me about 100 miles due to a very strong headwind. Had to slow down to get to the supercharger. Rolled in with 2%. If I kept driving at normal highway speed I would have been out of power at about 90 miles into the drive.

Reactions: ralfpeter
My model s 90D range is now 250 miles. I am still able to road trip fine. Sure 300 miles or more range would help and make road trip more convienent. But you know what really would help during road trips is faster charging so I can get back in the road faster. I think this might be elon's way of saying we are tired of putting up supercharging stations every 100 miles or so in the the middle of nowhere. Make all their new cars 300 miles plus definitely goes a long way to alleviate the supercharging station problem.

But, I have yet to see any evidence of that being the case. People keep saying, just give me a plain and affordable car and it will sell like crazy. However, in the real world, cars are getting more expensive because people keep buying them fully loaded, and dealers keep reporting that they struggle to give away the stripped down cars with no options.

If people wanted cheap and basic electric cars with a short range, there are tons of used one's on the market. Why aren't they getting snatched up as soon as they come up for sale?

I have yet to find any compelling evidence that anyone actually wants those cheap and basic mass produced cars everyone keeps claiming would be in high demand, if only someone would make them.
It's usually people saying that some ~other~ mystery group of people would go crazy over these cars but notice it's never themselves. The people who want these are buying used Leafs.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
It's usually people saying that some ~other~ mystery group of people would go crazy over these cars but notice it's never themselves. The people who want these are buying used Leafs.

Exactly. People are projecting those choices on all the "other" people beside themselves that want those cheap and reliable cars. I guess you got to group those people with all the people who are lamenting the lack of tuning knobs on modern radio's.

How many people don't know what stations to listen to and just spend the day tuning into random radio stations, when there is streaming and news stations and you can save just the stations you want to listen to?

Is the normal range the new standard range? Maybe we will get a 400 mile long range version on battery day? Maybe 500 mile range to match the Cybertruck?

I am waiting for battery day before I finalize delivery. Too much up in the air with that highly anticipated and long delayed announcement.

Is the normal range the new standard range? Maybe we will get a 400 mile long range version on battery day? Maybe 500 mile range to match the Cybertruck?

I am waiting for battery day before I finalize delivery. Too much up in the air with that highly anticipated and long delayed announcement.

Don't see how that would be possible. The Model 3 available battery room for the 2170 cells is already maxed out in the Model and Model Y. You are not going to get a sudden 20% increase in range or battery capacity with existing cells, so 400 or 500 miles are out of the question.

If anything would be on the horizon range wise, it would be a Model S 120 with 465 miles of range or so when they switch the Model S and Model X over to the 2170 cells from the 18650 cells they currently use. The Model X could also use a range boost for a new flagship range over the Model 3 and Y.

• Informative
Battery day may bring a large increase in energy density. With all the battery startups Tesla has acquired recently, one cannot rule out a major breakthrough.

Would be nice, but I personally feel that to be unlikely. If anything, I would expect more announcements in the longevity department and some Million Mile batteries announced, which they have been working on for awhile and some announcements trickled out over time.

So, my bet would be on longevity over range and capacity at this point in time.

Or it could be why Battery Day is being delayed until September. Maybe they don't want to risk Osborning themselves out of sales if truly breakthrough battery tech is announced Too early as we all wait to see what the build up is about. Also it fits in with the recent price reductions across the line.

That is what I am waiting for before I take delivery. The Cybertruck, semi and roadster need some serious battery chemistry range increases to work well. What if the current version of the Model Y is the new SR version? Maybe $3K more for 400 miles range or $6K for 500 mile LR version?

5% more dense batteries in September. The new LR version will have 350 miles range. This confirms my speculation that early adopters have the SR version.

Panasonic To Boost Energy Density Of Batteries For Tesla By 20%
I believe the 20% increase in energy density for the cells manufactured by Panasonic is to be achieved over a period of 5 years. Panasonic starting on the upgrade of the production lines in September may account for some part of this 20% increase but I doubt if this will be a 20% increase in one step in September. I think Tesla will use the increase in energy density more towards reducing the size of the battery to drive the price down than keep increasing the range for Model Y. My guess is range for LR RWD will be have a range close to 350 miles and LR AWD will also get a range increase.

One reason I went with my LR AWD Y was due to the 300+ miles of range. Yes, I knew like most EPA values, that you will not get that range. Especially with those jackrabbit starts, but currently I am enjoying those and they put a smile on my face. You can also beat those EPA estimates by, as some have stated, driving slower. The main reason my first EV needed 300+ miles range was not for daily commuting but rather for the one long weekly trip I tend to make and WINTER. Winter cold air is more dense. It takes more energy to push through it (ICE or EV). The batteries need to be heated (more energy needed) and I do have an aversion to freezing while driving my car (more energy needed). Assuming 30% reduction, 300 miles is more like 210 miles (max) in winter. If I need/want to drive 75 miles to go visit my mom on the weekend, even starting at 100%, I'd have at most 60 miles range when I got back. Best case. I looked at the other options, 250 mile range - 30% = 175 miles MAX in winter. Not enough for my comfort. BTW, no charging locations on the route I take. The Y's range and the available (and growing) Super Chargers and the cost of charging at them .vs. competitors, lead me to my baby car. I believe Elon is correct, 300 miles is the new minimum. Plus they are likely to easily get that with new battery tech. However, like computer shopping, you can always get a slightly faster CPU by waiting. If you wait long enough, you can get a faster CPU than the previous year. However, that also means you don't have a computer or a really old one. Bite the bullet and choose what is available to you when you make the decision.

How much range can you gain by driving slower? I found this a while ago and thought it was a good chart for people to see. Although it deals with the model 3 (Y was not out yet), it also applies to ICE cars as well.

M3_range_vs_speed.png

Be happy and enjoy the ride at whatever speed you chose.

Plus Li-Ion batteries like to stay within the 20%-80% range. That means for most days, 300 miles is really 240 miles to start with.
Minus 30% for Winter = 150 miles.
A 250 max range car would mean 200 miles on most days and in winter (30%), only 125 miles!
Hard to make a 150 mile round trip with only 125 miles of range even if you drive relatively slowly.
Yes, you could charge to 90 or 100% every week for winter but then your battery degrades a bit quicker, which means even less range.