Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After Market Battery Model S refresh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had the replace your battery soon warning light for about 2 weeks. I had an appointment with the service center to get a new battery tomorrow but got a call from Tesla Service to tell me they had to cancel my appointment as they have no batteries in stock. They also informed me they had no ETA on when them may arrive but would call me when they came in. He said it could be weeks. When I asked what I was supposed to do when my battery would not open the car because of a dead battery they said "Call roadside assistance" but aside from that I was out of luck! I would rather get my own battery than get stuck somewhere. Has anyone found an aftermarket battery that will work in the Tesla? I have a Dec 2016 refreshed Model S.
Thanks for any help

Dave

I have had the replace your battery soon warning light for about 2 weeks. I had an appointment with the service center to get a new battery tomorrow but got a call from Tesla Service to tell me they had to cancel my appointment as they have no batteries in stock. They also informed me they had no ETA on when them may arrive but would call me when they came in. He said it could be weeks. When I asked what I was supposed to do when my battery would not open the car because of a dead battery they said "Call roadside assistance" but aside from that I was out of luck! I would rather get my own battery than get stuck somewhere. Has anyone found an aftermarket battery that will work in the Tesla? I have a Dec 2016 refreshed Model S.
Thanks for any help

Dave

Are you talking about the main battery or the 12v battery?

Thanks for any help

Dave

Here you go, maybe order one from this guy:

Tesla Model S Secondary 12 Volt Battery - C&D DCS-33UNCR | eBay

And take it to the dealer to have them swap it. Or do it yourself. 2016 Model S's have a relocated battery which is much easier than the older models.

• Informative
Reactions: 365gtb4
Just disconnect it, it’s the first step in just about any maintenance procedure, pretty much just like an ICE.
Cool! I had heard that some cars act crazy after a complete 12V battery disconnect. Didn't know, if Tesla would be one of them.

Again, just for curiositiy and education: Is the 12V battery part of the 4-year 50k warranty? If not, would you jeopardize warranty coverage of the rest of the car, if you'd use an aftermarket 12V battery?

Cool! I had heard that some cars act crazy after a complete 12V battery disconnect. Didn't know, if Tesla would be one of them.

Again, just for curiositiy and education: Is the 12V battery part of the 4-year 50k warranty? If not, would you jeopardize warranty coverage of the rest of the car, if you'd use an aftermarket 12V battery?
My 12V battery was replaced under warranty within my first 10 months of ownership, in early 2016. The one they replaced it with has been working fine since then, and I now have 135,000 miles on my car. So yes it should be covered under warranty, and the replacement one should last a while. If you replace it yourself obviously you are out the cost of the battery but it won't have any impact on the warranty of the rest of the vehicle unless you royally f-up the job.

• Helpful
Reactions: Bill_75D

There is a federal law that prohibits owner modifications to a car having any effect on the warranty for the rest of the car. Look up

Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act (P.L. 93-637)

Obviously the warranty doesn't cover the modifications.

Doesn't Tesla actually have a different "charging profile" they can activate if your 12V battery is Lithium?

Still find it odd how good Ohmmu claims their batteries are better but Tesla still does not install Lithium 12V batteries in their cars. Why is that? o_O

https://www.ohmmu.com/?categoryId=00000000-000000-000000-000000000001

I believe it has to do with the specs on environmental conditions. Old fashioned lead batteries work under extreme conditions which is what you want in a car sold worldwide.

The downsides of lead batteries are weight, cycle life and also depth of discharge issues. You can't discharge them much without severely impacting their lifespan. Tesla pushes the 33ah 12v battery too much, hence its lifespan is cut short. If they were more conservative it should last 6-7 years.

Quick update, I got my Tesla battery installed yesterday by Mobile Service. He told me Tesla just started using a new Gel battery in the last 2 weeks for the Model X and Model S refresh that should last longer. He had to go in and update the firmware as part of install.

Quick update, I got my Tesla battery installed yesterday by Mobile Service. He told me Tesla just started using a new Gel battery in the last 2 weeks for the Model X and Model S refresh that should last longer. He had to go in and update the firmware as part of install.

You have any more info on that? As far as I know the battery is the same unit as shown in this photo, I got mine done just a few weeks ago and they put this part in, I saw it up close before they fit it

s-l1600 (11).jpg