Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After what time has passed would you consider an FSD class action lawsuit?

When would you consider initiating/joining a class action lawsuit for Tesla failure to deliver FSD?

• Already enquiring with/engaging legal services

Votes: 28 6.3%
  • End of 2021

Votes: 101 22.8%
  • End of 2022

Votes: 80 18.1%
  • 2023 - 2025

Votes: 48 10.8%
  • 2025 - 2030

Votes: 21 4.7%
  • After 2030

Votes: 11 2.5%
  • Never

Votes: 140 31.6%
  • Other - see comments

Votes: 14 3.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Knightshade lets acknowledge that your suggestions for recognization practices are purely speculative. We just do not know unless Tesla is forced to someday disclose them.

(Hard time sitting on my hands and not pointing out some obvious errors, but I do not believe that would lead to a productive discussion)

• Disagree
Reactions: bhzmark
@Knightshade lets acknowledge that your suggestions for recognization practices are purely speculative.

Why would we do that when it's not true?

We know the GAAP rules for recognizing revenue, and how deferred revenue accounting is done.

We know Teslas books are audited by a 3rd party to confirm they follow GAAP.

We know Tesla has never recognized revenue for a feature not widely delivered.

We know Tesla has never NOT recognized something just because it has "beta" on the label.

We know when, and how, the FSD package changed around March 2019.

We know (roughly) how many owners there are from before and after that change.

None of this is speculative at all.

It's not a gimmick.

It's literally how everyone does accounting

If you have taken money for a thing, and not yet delivered the thing, then it's not recognized on the books as revenue. It's a liability.

You have to deliver the thing to recognize the revenue.

Not at all. See above- this is how accounting works for everyone not just Tesla.

You appear to have answered your own question in the post below where you find the CFO himself noting this.

Tesla still has well north of 1 billion dollars in deferred revenue on their books as a liability and it'll remain there until they deliver what they took the money as payment for.

I would expect SOME of that revenue to move to recognized upon a wide (not limited beta) release of city streets- specifically the revenue from the post March 2019 buyers.

They'd still have to keep as a liability the deferred revenue for the pre march 19 buyers since they owe them significantly more.

Specifically from the Q2 2021 balance sheet- (new one will be available next week for Q3 update)

View attachment 721482
If you have taken money for a thing, and not yet delivered the thing, then it's not recognized on the books as revenue. It's a liability.

Did I hear this correctly?? :oops: #LongLiveFSD

• Disagree
Reactions: JimBob 909

Did I hear this correctly?? :oops: #LongLiveFSD

Yes, that's literally how accounting works. Deferred revenue for things you have not delivered yet are liabilities.

For every company.

I even posted their balance sheet showing over a billion dollars of this under liabilities

What specifically are you confused about?

None of this is speculative at all.

Go have a chat with someone sufficiently experienced with public B2C company audit practices from KPMG. They will explain why it is impossible to know without having CFO statement on their reasonable expectation for COGS and delivery schedule for the undelivered features. Even with that statement there are likely several options on how to do it while staying within the GAAP guardrails.

(I have some first hand experience on the subject and can testify that it is complex even when you plan and audit for your own business. Guessing specifics for a complex business with communication practices of Tesla. That is next level.)

Reactions: JimBob 909
Go have a chat with someone sufficiently experienced with public B2C company audit practices from KPMG.

Teslas auditor is not KPMG, it's PWC.

And literally every item I listed out in previous post are known things that don't require mind-reading the CFO to know them- they're all knowable from publicly available info and financial disclosures.

Pretty much the only outstanding "question" we do NOT know is this:

When city streets goes to wide release- how much (if any) of the Pre-3/19 buyers deferred revenue will be recognized.

That's it.

All the post 3/19 money could be since that's the only remaining item promised to those buyers but not yet delivered.

At least SOME of the pre 3/19 money could NOT be, because there remains undelivered functionality for those folks.

Of course this is massively far afield of the original reason it even came up.... another users mistaken idea that taking money for undelivered features was net revenue at all which it's not and that getting this revenue Tesla didn't actually get was 'part of the scam'

Yes, that's literally how accounting works. Deferred revenue for things you have not delivered yet are liabilities.

For every company.

I even posted their balance sheet showing over a billion dollars of this under liabilities

What specifically are you confused about?
So I guess you understand what happens to these liabilities when you can’t deliver what you promised! That’s money you owe to someone and if you can’t payback you liquidate your assets.

… and that’s a point we are making. Good to see that you agree that they have unfulfilled liability aka didn’t deliver what they promised! 🙂

• Disagree
Reactions: Knightshade
So I guess you understand what happens to these liabilities when you can’t deliver what you promised! That’s money you owe to someone and if you can’t payback you liquidate your assets.

… and that’s a point we are making. Good to see that you agree that they have unfulfilled liability aka didn’t deliver what they promised! 🙂

...what?

you were the one who kept insisting the opposite of that

Lemme remind you, I know you've made so many untrue claims you probably lost track-

Tesla knowing exaggerated capabilities of the system to generate more revenue ✌🏻

I then corrected you....again pointing out that this is NOT revenue, it's a liability.

Now you're pretending that agrees with you somehow despite directly contradicting you.

It's increasingly hard to buy the idea you're debating honestly.

...what?

you were the one who kept insisting the opposite of that

Lemme remind you, I know you've made so many untrue claims you probably lost track-

I then corrected you....again pointing out that this is NOT revenue, it's a liability.

Now you're pretending that agrees with you somehow despite directly contradicting you.

It's increasingly hard to buy the idea you're debating honestly.

Feel free to go and check history- Bottomline remains the same: Tesla made false claims about their system’s capabilities and lured buyers into buying a product (or service) they can’t deliver!!

Anyhow— I have no idea why I’m debating this with you because at this point for anyone with rational thinking it is not a surprise!!

I’m sure there are people out there who like to donate 3K to god Elon and visit his Twitter temple every day but not me! 😉

Have a great day!

Feel free to go and check history

I did.

In the very last post where I quoted you saying the exact opposite of what you're trying to change your story to.

it's on the increasingly long list of factually untrue claims you've been cited making the last several pages.

Hence why questioning if you're actually trying to engage in honest debate or just trolling.

Second seems increasingly the case.

Read the entire thread and you will find answers that you are looking for…

but given your question you won’t and that’s ok!!
No - you show me. The entire thread only talks about "future" features. Not existing features.

Tesla made false claims about their system’s capabilities

ps : There was such a mistake on the website at one time. I'll let you find it.

Reactions: rxlawdude
Tesla is posting >50% CAGR.

And has for years, and will continue to for years.

Past-12-month P/E is an hilariously terrible way to evaluate a growth stock like that.

Agreeing on all counts.

...what?

Amazons P/E 5 years ago was over 700.

Really? Looks like it was below 190 at that time, and have come down to still aggressive 57 today. Part of the story is that Amazon has always believed driving growth with close to 0 Free Cash Flow, disregarding net earnings. Which is brilliant. Now that they have grown up to one of the largest companies globally, they have started behaving more conservatively.
Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 1.57.25 PM.png

Tesla had a mind-blowing rally in 2020 (market cap growing 9X or so). And then they stopped. 2021 YTD has been just +17% (below S&P 19% during the period).

Tesla market cap is around $0.8T. It increasingly puts on pressure to behave more conservatively. When Amazon reached 0.8T around mid-2018, their P/E was around 100.

More important than the Amazon comparison, is question on how growth oriented TSLA investors are? I would expect that they are more risk-taking than average and want to find another 2020 TSLA 9x holabaloo. Now that 2021 YTD market cap growth has been disappointing, either TSLA investors need to change to expect less (be content with 17% growth) or TSLA need to attract more conservative investors. The latter group won't be convinced on (arguably silly metric of) P/E > 400.

With this background, I would expect Tesla revenues and net earnings to grow fast. It it one of the most amazing companies in the world, including financials and leadership. Problem is that TSLA is so overpriced that will take years for earnings to catch up. During that time market cap growth should be modest at best.

Reactions: Matias
When Amazon reached 0.8T around mid-2018, their P/E was around 100.
Not sure we are talking about that in this thread - but I'm sure by then Amazon had become the largest retailer & public cloud by revenue ?

Tesla is still one of the smaller auto OEMs - thats why the growth potential for Tesla is more than that for Amazon 5 years back.

Really? Looks like it was below 190 at that time,

Ah, my bad.

6 years ago not 5.

720.66 P/E on 9/30/2015.

Apologies for the error and appreciate the correction.

As you note it had dropped quite a bit a year later.

Teslas BTW was 1102.61 12/31/2020.
3 months later it had dropped to 661.32.
Now it's down around 400.

At current earnings growth it's going to be well under 100 within a year... (forward P/E is already close to this, and those estimates keep improving)

Certainly the stock isn't going to 9x quickly again- but I think 17% YoY is... overly pessemistic :)

Here's a guy who does this for a living-he has P/E down to 140 by end of THIS year, at 80 next year.

But yeah, there's other places for further investor discussions if you want em.

Reactions: t3sl4drvr
It is good to build up consensus on a public forum for a class action lawsuit and you and your cohorts are trying to block.
Class action with very few eligible members? Unless you opted out of arbitration, you are not an eligible class member.

Case law is clear: mandatory arbitration, which I would estimate applies to at least 75% of owners, precludes class actions. There's no case and besides, class actions never make plaintiffs whole. But they do get successful class attorneys lots and lots of cash. Enjoy your voucher for a meager discount on your next FSD purchase.