Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After what time has passed would you consider an FSD class action lawsuit?

When would you consider initiating/joining a class action lawsuit for Tesla failure to deliver FSD?

• Already enquiring with/engaging legal services

Votes: 28 6.3%
  • End of 2021

Votes: 101 22.8%
  • End of 2022

Votes: 80 18.1%
  • 2023 - 2025

Votes: 48 10.8%
  • 2025 - 2030

Votes: 21 4.7%
  • After 2030

Votes: 11 2.5%
  • Never

Votes: 140 31.6%
  • Other - see comments

Votes: 14 3.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That would be unrealistic.

Reasonable expectation might be either Tesla refunding the FSD purchase (with market rate interest) or if one could show they purchased the car for the advertised FSD feature, Tesla being forced to buy the car back at the original purchase price.

One line of thought for damages would be Tesla statements on car being "appreciating asset" and robotaxi network earnings for the owner. Showing sufficient specificity on expected earnings from those would be hard due to Tesla (rightly) not putting numbers on those expectations.

Thus, I think it might be hard to argue for damages on top of the of the price paid and the legal costs.
Market rate interest is 0.01% per annum. Online banks pay up to 0.1% on high balances.

Yep, that extra couple of dollars will show them...

Market rate interest is 0.01% per annum. Online banks pay up to 0.1% on high balances.

Yep, that extra couple of dollars will show them...
Pre-judgment interest applies to damages in almost every case in I think every State… in Florida, the average statutory interest for the last five years has been approximately 6%, so assuming FSD was purchased five years ago, at $4000, that’s $240 a year, totaling $1200 over the last five years. It’s not much, but it’s also not nothing. Where are you getting this market rate of 0.01% per annum?

Pre-judgment interest applies to damages in almost every case in I think every State… in Florida, the average statutory interest for the last five years has been approximately 6%, so assuming FSD was purchased five years ago, at $4000, that’s $240 a year, totaling $1200 over the last five years. It’s not much, but it’s also not nothing. Where are you getting this market rate of 0.01% per annum?
LEGAL rate (btw, 10% per annum in CA last I checked) is not the investment rate set by the market. It is a standard used by courts to assess some modicum of recompense to the winning party for their funds being tied up. It is, as they say in law school, a legal fiction.

If you can find a no risk 6% MARKET rate where anyone can park their money other than for FSD, let us in on the secret. ;)

Last edited:
LEGAL rate (btw, 10% per annum in CA last I checked) is not the investment rate set by the market. It is a standard used by courts to assess some modicum of recompense to the winning party for their funds being tied up. It is, as they say in law school, a legal fiction.

If you can find a no risk 6% MARKET rate where anyone can park their money other than for FSD, let us in on the secret. ;)
The guy was talking about damages calculations…I mean, that’s the whole topic…I didn’t understand your 0.01% market rate comment…no worries, I must have misunderstood.

I'm not a sue happy person, and I doubt I'd ever sue Tesla over anything.

But, part of me wants to sue for emotional distress from the Safety score, and then the FSD Beta testing. :p

It's kinda ironic because so far the only purpose it has is showing me how enjoyable manual driving is.

Reactions: gaspi101
The guy was talking about damages calculations…I mean, that’s the whole topic…I didn’t understand your 0.01% market rate comment…no worries, I must have misunderstood.
"Market rate" is not used in damages calculations, correct?

"Legal" or "statutory" rates are used in damages calculations, right?

I was trying to point out that market rate, if applied retroactively, would yield very little.

I'm not a sue happy person, and I doubt I'd ever sue Tesla over anything.

But, part of me wants to sue for emotional distress from the Safety score, and then the FSD Beta testing. :p

It's kinda ironic because so far the only purpose it has is showing me how enjoyable manual driving is.

Apparently it's useful enough others are now copying it.

(ping as it's Nov 3)

So is your law suit proceeding or did Tesla give you FSDbeta?

OK. I started it.

Seriously. I have. I hired a lawyer and we're preparing the filing.

At my lawyer's advice I filed a service request to enable the FSD features. Once I have a paper trail of Tesla not intending to honor it (as I expect) we're going to go to the court. The service appointment is on Nov 2.

Reactions: gaspi101
(Earlier)At my lawyer's advice I filed a service request to enable the FSD features. Once I have a paper trail of Tesla not intending to honor it (as I expect) we're going to go to the court. The service appointment is on Nov 2.

(Now) ... They unilaterally rescheduled the appointment to Nov 2. I had to reschedule it for Nov 19.

Did I say that Tesla enjoys treating customers as *sugar*? Well, I'm saying it again.
Wait. You said YOU scheduled an appointment for November 2, and then you say that Tesla unilaterally rescheduled your appointment to November 2, the date you implied that YOU made for the service appointment.

I'm confused.

They unilaterally rescheduled the appointment

For me, Tesla service center has cancelled a Service appointments without any communications. Also, they usually leave all questions (like the price of the appointment) unanswered making it very difficult to actually get to an appointment: you do not know what (if anything) they intend to fix, nor what it might cost. Overall, their communications on the app is just unprofessional. But if you speak with an expert or a manager from Tesla directly (phone or live), they are knowledgeable and polite.

When I bought a Tesla 4 years ago, I was very impressed by their service. Amazing service. 10/10.

Today a dozen or so visits later, the service appointment experience has declined to be as pleasant as a root canal treatment.

For me, Tesla service center has cancelled a Service appointments without any communications. Also, they usually leave all questions (like the price of the appointment) unanswered making it very difficult to actually get to an appointment: you do not know what (if anything) they intend to fix, nor what it might cost.

After writing this, they did the exact same thing again: no quote, unilaterally postponing the visit by 1 month:

Hello, this is Tesla Service and we are
reaching out to you regarding your
upcoming appointment for your Tesla.
Unfortunately we will need additional
time to pre-diagnose your concern as
parts may be needed. We have
changed your appointment to our first
available appointment.

Seems like they never read any messages more than one day before the appointment and then realize that they should prepare (order parts etc) and reschedule. And then again wait until last day.

Ideas on how to hold Tesla accountable on this behavior?

Reactions: dbldwn02
After writing this, they did the exact same thing again: no quote, unilaterally postponing the visit by 1 month:

Seems like they never read any messages more than one day before the appointment and then realize that they should prepare (order parts etc) and reschedule. And then again wait until last day.

Ideas on how to hold Tesla accountable on this behavior?

I dunno.... maybe a lawsuit or something... weren't you supposedly filing one of those?