Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket bucket seat installation, need help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Does anyone here have installed aftermarket seat on their M3 before? I just installed a Recaro Sportster CS seat on the driver side and the system is telling me that there’s an error on the driver’s safety protection and ask me to contact Tesla service center. Is there any way I can remove this error code without having to go to Tesla Service Center (I doubt they would even help) ?

Big thanks to community in advance.

Attachments

• 6BC7B9F0-AD71-4060-B5E1-62BE0DC4332C.jpeg
    6BC7B9F0-AD71-4060-B5E1-62BE0DC4332C.jpeg
    191.8 KB · Views: 410
Sure. I will check with Erik and see how he handled the issue when we had racing seats in the Model 3.
Erik said:

I originally beat the error with a resistor that is commonly used in modified cars. It was plugged into the the wiring harness, the plug that would normally go into the side airbag in the OEM seat.

However Tesla pushed out an update early on and since then the passenger seat always showed that error. No driver's side issues. I don't believe Unplugged has a solution for that either. But might be worth asking them if things have changed since.

@butterscotch , are you using a resistor for the OEM side airbag connector?

Unplugged solution is electronics that works well between updates. But when update is coming and since the seat can't be updated it shows update as incomplete.

To the best of my knowledge the only certain bug free way is to put all electronics of stock seat in your bucket seat, so it can be updated. I assume you don't need to have actual lumbar pillow with that. @MasterC17 might share more.

Unplugged solution is electronics that works well between updates. But when update is coming and since the seat can't be updated it shows update as incomplete.

To the best of my knowledge the only certain bug free way is to put all electronics of stock seat in your bucket seat, so it can be updated. I assume you don't need to have actual lumbar pillow with that. @MasterC17 might share more.

Correct, you just need the lumbar module which is easily removable from the stock seat. Disconnect three lines and connector.

Reactions: Dolemite and Mash
Erik said:

I originally beat the error with a resistor that is commonly used in modified cars. It was plugged into the the wiring harness, the plug that would normally go into the side airbag in the OEM seat.

However Tesla pushed out an update early on and since then the passenger seat always showed that error. No driver's side issues. I don't believe Unplugged has a solution for that either. But might be worth asking them if things have changed since.

@butterscotch , are you using a resistor for the OEM side airbag connector?

I did, but didn't seem to work.

In fact I still think that rear-front, up-down and recline lift for bucket seats with stock controls can be designed with seating position lower than stock. Small scale production shouldn't be above 400 USD cost. Just nobody got a time for that...

I'm thinking to put lumbar pillow under rear cushion of Sparco Circuit. Do you think it's doable?

Hmm, I need to look at the seat again to confirm. I have a vague recollection that the lumbar is built into the cushion, but I may be insane.

You can get forward/backward/up/down fairly easily, but it's also fairly heavy. Just forward/backward seat tracks and motor is about 13lbs. Up/Down adds another 13ish. Kind of defeats the purpose for weight savings, but does hold you much better. I don't even bother with the Schroth Quick Fit at this point.

OP - the drivers side is actually pretty easy. I don't know how you set it up, but I used the OEM tracks and motor and retained the factory seat belt tensioner and buckle. The only airbag component to "trick" at that point is the airbag that is normally built into the seat. I modified an OEM seat harness. Finally, you are definitely going to want to get the OEM occupancy sensor working, otherwise your car is going to be doing all sorts of weird stuff. Fortunately, that is super easy on the drivers side, just plug it in and place under the cushion. The passenger side is similar, but much more involved. As previously discussed, you also probably want to pull the lumbar module out so you don't have Firmware problems. I have both seats working 100%, no errors, firmware passes, all OEM safety systems in place and working (besides obviously the seat airbag), and forward/backward control. Super nice.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood
Hmm, I need to look at the seat again to confirm. I have a vague recollection that the lumbar is built into the cushion, but I may be insane.

You can get forward/backward/up/down fairly easily, but it's also fairly heavy. Just forward/backward seat tracks and motor is about 13lbs. Up/Down adds another 13ish. Kind of defeats the purpose for weight savings, but does hold you much better. I don't even bother with the Schroth Quick Fit at this point.

OP - the drivers side is actually pretty easy. I don't know how you set it up, but I used the OEM tracks and motor and retained the factory seat belt tensioner and buckle. The only airbag component to "trick" at that point is the airbag that is normally built into the seat. I modified an OEM seat harness. Finally, you are definitely going to want to get the OEM occupancy sensor working, otherwise your car is going to be doing all sorts of weird stuff. Fortunately, that is super easy on the drivers side, just plug it in and place under the cushion. The passenger side is similar, but much more involved. As previously discussed, you also probably want to pull the lumbar module out so you don't have Firmware problems. I have both seats working 100%, no errors, firmware passes, all OEM safety systems in place and working (besides obviously the seat airbag), and forward/backward control. Super nice.
So you’re saying you butchered an oem seat, attached a race seat somehow to the existing rails, and then left the modules under the seat?

I did find this seat bracket online.

I wonder how much butchering I would need to do. I miss my alcantara recaros.

It looks removable to me. And 75-150$ on ebay.
tesla-model-3-seat-horror-2.jpg
s-l400.jpg

Im not very concerned about weight savings, if it can stay stock weight it's fine with me. But daily usability and side support are important.

So you’re saying you butchered an oem seat, attached a race seat somehow to the existing rails, and then left the modules under the seat?

I did find this seat bracket online.

I wonder how much butchering I would need to do. I miss my alcantara recaros.

You will need custom side brackets to adapt the OEM seat frame to the aftermarket seat. No butchering of the stock seat required beyond 4 bolts. The harness is $50 and the occupancy sensor is like $12. Again, this only applies to the drivers seat. The passenger seat does require a fair amount of butchering, as the occupancy and weight sensors are much more involved.

Reactions: TwoK4drSi
You will need custom side brackets to adapt the OEM seat frame to the aftermarket seat. No butchering of the stock seat required beyond 4 bolts. The harness is $50 and the occupancy sensor is like $12. Again, this only applies to the drivers seat. The passenger seat does require a fair amount of butchering, as the occupancy and weight sensors are much more involved.
If the seat is a restrictive part bc of the airbag…I’m assuming the price you quoted is salvaged price? I found a guy locally selling front and passenger seat for like $150 a piece. Maybe my next project.