Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket headliner change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are better off to eat the deposit and place a new order. Changing the headliner may require removing the windshield, which means buying a new windshield.
By the time you factor the cost of the headliner and labor $2500 will be a drop in the bucket.
You are not going to get a factory job for $500... Id run from a shop if thats what they qouted my on a Tesla.
Chances of rattles, poor fit etc... are high even with a quality job.

The quality and dependability of the job is definitely a concern of mine. The deposit is no problem for me, but it really is a big hassle for me and them to cancel my order this far in, then have to wait possibly 3 months for the new order to come.
I think I'm going to just see if I like it. Maybe the white Alcantara won't be as bad as I think. It's possible I might even like it more.

What's been bothering me though is that my dashboard says that the car isn't yet in production, but the saleswoman tells me it can't be changed. I wonder why :(.

The quality and dependability of the job is definitely a concern of mine. The deposit is no problem for me, but it really is a big hassle for me and them to cancel my order this far in, then have to wait possibly 3 months for the new order to come.
I think I'm going to just see if I like it. Maybe the white Alcantara won't be as bad as I think. It's possible I might even like it more.

What's been bothering me though is that my dashboard says that the car isn't yet in production, but the saleswoman tells me it can't be changed. I wonder why :(.

Also you could look for an inventory vehicle that has what you want, savings will offset the loss of deposit.

It's a lot more cost effective than I imagined. Don't sweat it too much. I agree black Alcantara closes in the interior. I don't have Pano, so that really amplifies the coffin look for my car. I am planning a budget of about $3,000, and we are past seats, almost done with headliner and starting to talk about door panel inserts to pull it all together. Pretty pumped.

@JeffS

Reviving an old thread....did everything turn out ok? I am considering doing a headliner replacement and was wondering if you could share your experience? in particular, did they have to remove the windshield?, cost etc?

TIA

Yes, please update us on the case.
Can someone confirm that a windshield replacement is a must (I can see why as the headliner is way wider than the trunk hatch)?
Is there any possibilities to gently squeeze the new headliner in through the trunk, slightly bending it a notch?
Maybe there will be a permanently bend to it doing it this way?

I am about to swap out my seats, and got my hands on a black alcantara headliner I was planning to replace at the same time.

Another thing is that I heard that the opening around the rear view mirror has different widths depending on pre-AP, AP1 and AP2(?). Also there might be different wiring in different versions. That is if you get a headliner from an older/newer car.

When my car was delivered it had a textile headliner when it should have had the Alcantara headliner. The error was noted on the punch out list to be corrected. In order to properly install the Alcantara headliner Tesla had to remove the windshield (which cracked in the process) and then install a new windshield.

Here is a pic with the headliner and just about everything else removed.
IMG_5373.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: Ketchups