Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Tesla CarPlay and Android Auto Devices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All of these questions are heavily dependent on whether you're using a SIM or your phone as a hotspot.

When I was using the Tesla Android solution (using a SIM) I could leave it on and Sentry Mode and other remote access things would work. I would expect that they would, as my car had a working Internet connection when I wasn't there.

If you're using T2C with a hotspot things change. I wouldn't expect any of those features to work if you leave the T2C on. But they might - if you walk away from the car with your phone then the T2C WiFi that the car is connected to would lose Internet connectivity. Tesla cars won't stay connected to a WiFi network if there is no Internet behind that WiFi network. So in that case, when you're out of range and your phone hotspot is no longer providing Internet then maybe the Tesla will disconnect from the T2C WiFi and revert to it's built in cellular data.

I haven’t tried but would not be surprised if it did not work.
I do not have T2C but in theory tesla app should show you the camera views As long as T2C is powered on and has lte modem. I coukd see camera views when I use tesla android + lte modem and left it active while i was away. Also Sentry mode keeps the 12v system awake i believe. I have not tried in a while and no longer have premium connectivity.

Reactions: jerome8283
Out of curiosity I got T2C. But I have no idea what the use case maybe. It makes me wonder why there were such outcry for getting official support of Apple CarPlay. As a semi-hifi person I rather they support hires Apple play instead of Bluetooth more than Apple CarPlay itself.

Out of curiosity I got T2C. But I have no idea what the use case maybe. It makes me wonder why there were such outcry for getting official support of Apple CarPlay. As a semi-hifi person I rather they support hires Apple play instead of Bluetooth more than Apple CarPlay itself.
If you want lossless Apple Music codec media playing back in tesla, check out tesla android. It can use android OS Apple Music app & audio is transmitted from ras pi to tesla browser via wifi & 48khz pcm lossless codec. I do this sometimes. On occasion Music skips a half second but more updates to tesla android are planned & better wifi antenna options being researched so hopefully will be perfect in time.
or…put high quality music files on a usb device and plug in to tesla usb ports. 2022+ tesla Model y/3 usb-c ports can be updated to handle data. I did it. Works great.

If you want lossless Apple Music codec media playing back in tesla, check out tesla android. It can use android OS Apple Music app & audio is transmitted from ras pi to tesla browser via wifi & 48khz pcm lossless codec. I do this sometimes. On occasion Music skips a half second but more updates to tesla android are planned & better wifi antenna options being researched so hopefully will be perfect in time.
or…put high quality music files on a usb device and plug in to tesla usb ports. 2022+ tesla Model y/3 usb-c ports can be updated to handle data. I did it. Works great.
I tried lossless Apple Music with Tesla Android and the audio sounded terrific but it wasn’t stable and l look forward to the updates.

T-Mobile. Make sure you update to the latest firmware and enter the APN settings

I received my T2C and have updated it to Build 23021115.1508.1. I have T-Mobile for both my iPhone 14 Pro Max (eSIM) and the nano SIM I bought for the T2C. Thus, I entered the APN as Fast.t-mobile.com and set the APN Protocol to IPV4V6 as instructed. Although the T2C works just fine in hotspot mode (with the BT Modem turned on), when I try to use the SIM card (after turning off the BT Modem in the T2C's settings), my Model 3 won't connect to the T2C. The error message generated by the Model 3 is "Could Not Connect to Network. Unable to obtain IP address. Please check DHCP server settings." Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong to use the SIM card for the network connection?

(Before anyone asks, yes, I did verify that the SIM card works. I did so by putting it in an iPhone XR that I'm not using. When the SIM card is in the iPhone XR, T-Mobile's network sees the SIM card just fine. I picked up the SIM card and activated the line this past weekend and did so for the specific purpose of using it with the T2C.)

Actually can anyone share what you use Apple CarPlay on a Tesla for?
Audio. I rarely listen to music while driving, mainly I listen to podcasts, audiobooks, AM radio. For audiobooks I use Audible. There's no app on the Tesla for that. The Tune-in app on the Tesla doesn't feature the most popular AM station in my area. Stream quality for the others wasn't reliable last time I tried. The iHeart radio app covers all the stations I like and works well.

Podcasts: both ways of playing podcasts with the native Tesla apps sucked in my experience. There's a native app and Spotify. Neither would allow me to put in a custom podcast url for a paid podcast. But the bigger issue is major bugs, like sometimes starting a podcast over at the beginning when returning to the car, instead of where you left off. The Spotify app was supposed to be the answer. On at least one occasion it showed it was playing today's episode of a podcast, but was actually playing a three day old one, took a while to figure that out. I also recall the Spotify app just not working and you'd have to sign out and sign back in to fix.

Tesla maps vs Apple. Instead of turning left, Tesla wanted me to turn right, go to the next intersection, turn again, turn around, come back, etc. Apple just had me turn left. Tesla maps sometimes would navigate to the correct block, while Apple maps would take me right to the exact address. Tesla would give a really bizarre route, while Apple would give better routes AND choices. Tesla now gives choices, which is nice. And overall I like the big screen nav of Tesla better.

Actually can anyone share what you use Apple CarPlay on a Tesla for?
Voice recognition for setting destination is much better than Tesla. Podcasts. Traffic is free. Turn by turn directions are clearer. Text messages and dictation for replies are better. App selection is much broader including audiobooks (Libby, Audible) and other messaging/calling apps such as WhatsApp. Screen layout much easier to read and navigate while in motion.

Audio. I rarely listen to music while driving, mainly I listen to podcasts, audiobooks, AM radio. For audiobooks I use Audible. There's no app on the Tesla for that. The Tune-in app on the Tesla doesn't feature the most popular AM station in my area. Stream quality for the others wasn't reliable last time I tried. The iHeart radio app covers all the stations I like and works well.

Podcasts: both ways of playing podcasts with the native Tesla apps sucked in my experience. There's a native app and Spotify. Neither would allow me to put in a custom podcast url for a paid podcast. But the bigger issue is major bugs, like sometimes starting a podcast over at the beginning when returning to the car, instead of where you left off. The Spotify app was supposed to be the answer. On at least one occasion it showed it was playing today's episode of a podcast, but was actually playing a three day old one, took a while to figure that out. I also recall the Spotify app just not working and you'd have to sign out and sign back in to fix.

Tesla maps vs Apple. Instead of turning left, Tesla wanted me to turn right, go to the next intersection, turn again, turn around, come back, etc. Apple just had me turn left. Tesla maps sometimes would navigate to the correct block, while Apple maps would take me right to the exact address. Tesla would give a really bizarre route, while Apple would give better routes AND choices. Tesla now gives choices, which is nice. And overall I like the big screen nav of Tesla better.
Also, Waze provides real-time updates on traffic, accidents, speed trap and traffic light camera warnings, road closures, customizable routes by selecting different types of roads, such as highways or local roads, or by avoiding tolls or other obstacles. The community of Waze users is constantly sharing updates as well.

Reactions: KevinT3141
For me it is in order of importance: Audible, Waze (Google and Apple Maps too), Apple Music, Pandora, Apple Podcast, NPR, Sirius.

Carplay/Android Auto will always be more open and up to date than the auto manufacturer's software. I don't want to let Tesla, or anyone else, tell me what services to use.

If Tesla would get an app store, which I think is coming, that would fix a lot. Of course, they would need buy in from the app developers (remember Windows Phone?) for that to succeed. And there probably isn't enough volume to make it compelling for these developers. 1.3 million Teslas vs. 307 million smartphones, I know where I'd focus my development efforts.