Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Tesla CarPlay and Android Auto Devices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have not had any dropout issues with the T2C. Only occasional initial connection needing to turn wifi on because M3 is connected to home wifi in garage. Been working fine once connected. Added a usb on/off switch which seems to be working well. Switch allows me to turn off unit when I'm home and turn on when I'm away from home.

OK, the Teslasy CarPlay mini-dash has arrived and I would cautiously say that after an hour of testing ... it's excellent.

I haven't permanently stuck it down since I'm still experimenting with exact position (hence blue temporary tape and loose wires) but overall it appears to work as advertised.

NOTE: since there are no instructions I haven't worked out where to get the latest update file for the unit so I might be running an out of date build 🤷🏼‍♂️
Also I don't have an Android phone so I can't test that out, sorry Android Auto folks.

Cost - $234.40 including tax and shipping using discount code.

Shipping - took 5 days from placing my order online to delivery (DHL).

Installation - super simple - 5 minutes to just connect to the OBD port in the back. Hiding the cable can take as long as you like in terms of making it seamless but I am guessing 15 minutes? The wire at the front is invisible during normal circumstances (photo below shows it slightly due to camera angle) - I might buy some wood color tape to just camouflage it more but it isn't visible at all as you drive assuming you position it correctly. I considered running the wire backwards (towards the vent) where I could hide it but it would likely put a lot of bad tension on it and after 2 minutes I realized it isn't an issue anyway.

Startup Time - unit starts immediately and goes straight to the car view and you can select CarPlay from there. I haven't left it super long to see how it starts once the car is deep sleeping but I'll check that and add it in to this review later.

Display - looks high resolution and detail is good but everything is pretty small - this might be a challenge for folks with poor eyesight ... but then they shouldn't be driving anyway right? 😉 Side corners show lights, gear selection, speed, range (miles not %) at the same time as CarPlay is on so that's great to have them both at the same time.

Audio - it does have a little speaker in it after all (yuck) but once you have the setting to "BT original" instead of "Built in horn" (!) all audio is automatically bluetooth from your phone straight to the Tesla from then on - directions, music, Siri. So audio quality = bluetooth quality which I am fine with. Set it once and forget it.

CarPlay - works exactly as you would expect, although it isn't the fastest map display I have seen for Apple Maps ... but it is good enough - hopefully software updates will make it even smoother. It is a wide landscape view which I like but be aware it's wide and not tall.

Controls - touch screen works fine and it also uses the right scroll wheel on the steering wheel - this takes a little getting used to since Press Right = Select (not Push Down as you might expect) but won't take long to master.

Airflow - it is a short (height) display so airflow seems good over the top - would be easier to test on a hot day ... which it isn't.

Documentation - none. Zero. Nothing. Not even a single sheet of paper. I just used the video review I shared earlier to work out the controls. I still don't know how to do a software update (requires micro SD card ... but where do I go to get the latest file?).

Bugs/missing features - there are a few small bugs that hopefully will get fixed but I can easily live with this unit as it is. Auto timezone doesn't seem to work - not an issue, I just set it manually. I can't see how to change the car color to match mine - it defaults to white ... who cares. Can't change clock from 24 hour to 12 hour display but this is only an issue on the "car display" versus CarPlay display which uses the iPhone clock settings. And as mentioned it isn't the fastest unit in the world but definitely good enough.

Conclusion (so far) - after somewhat limited testing I am liking this unit very much. Having Apple Maps right in front of me as I drive is really really nice. Fast startup removes the frustration of waiting for the web browser/Wifi solutions to boot up. Having the speedo and light status right in front is great too. Styling is pretty good, looks almost OEM, the one wire turns out to be not an issue and can be camouflaged if you do care. I'll test more over next few days to see if there are any gotchas (and try to see if there are any more recent software versions).

Overall 9/10 and I think I'll be keeping this unless something bad surprises me.

IMG_2711.jpeg

IMG_2731.jpeg

IMG_2720.jpeg

IMG_2713.jpeg

IMG_2714.jpeg

IMG_2719.jpeg

IMG_2723.jpeg

Last edited:
@Mandingo I’m digging the blue painters tape personally. 😜

So do you find yourself constantly reaching into the steering wheel to type addresses in Waze etc?

My Audi Q5 isn’t touchscreen and I find it incredibly distracting to use the rotary wheel to navigate around CarPlay which is why I Love it being on the large touchscreen.

@Mandingo I’m digging the blue painters tape personally. 😜

So do you find yourself constantly reaching into the steering wheel to type addresses in Waze etc?

My Audi Q5 isn’t touchscreen and I find it incredibly distracting to use the rotary wheel to navigate around CarPlay which is why I Love it being on the large touchscreen.
I'll keep the tape!

I use Apple Maps exclusively (they're very good these days and 90% of the reason I am looking for CarPlay) and do all my destination input using Siri so it hasn't come up yet but I am thinking I would just do it on my iPhone if it's more complicated than that and requires actual typing while car is parked.

I realized I didn't include any screen photos while not in CarPlay so here's an extra one ...

IMG_2732.jpeg

Is anyone having problems connecting to the ownice's wifi on their Tesla after the latest update? Since 2023.38.6 tesla update, whenever my car tries to connect to the ownice's wifi network, it gives an error "Could not join TSL-6ab7, the internet is unreachable. Please check your firewall settings and internet connection" Seems like Tesla is doing some sort of internet access pre-check and now it doesn't work.

Is anyone having problems connecting to the ownice's wifi on their Tesla after the latest update? Since 2023.38.6 tesla update, whenever my car tries to connect to the ownice's wifi network, it gives an error "Could not join TSL-6ab7, the internet is unreachable. Please check your firewall settings and internet connection" Seems like Tesla is doing some sort of internet access pre-check and now it doesn't work.
I am on the same Tesla release and I am not having any issues with Ownice. It has been rock solid since I purchased it. Ownice is running the latest firmware.

Few updates on my review of the Teslasy screen.

There is now the first update for the screen on their site, not had a chance to try it properly but it appears to improve performance and refresh the screen more smoothly.

There are now instructions for the screen on that page too - I learned you can activate Siri from the steering wheel button which is useful and I didn't know before. Also there are hotspots on the screen to fast switch straight to CarPlay (push the wheel hub!!!) and Settings (the door graphic!!).

I had an issue with one of the upgrade files that their WhatsApp folks solved in 10 mins (one of the 3 upgrade files was already the same/latest version that I had and the system just rebooted each time instead of telling me I was already on the latest). Once that was solved the other two files installed with no issues so their support is actually pretty good now they have a user manual and a responsive WhatsApp support team.

So far so good, no major issues. Had a couple of occasions where the bluetooth didn't connect first time but I'll see if that happens again with the new update. Overall still liking the screen a lot.

IMG_2760.png

Last edited:
All I want is a great / easy display for Google maps for its much better traffic and alternate routing options (while driving). This thing looks like it's pretty close to what I am looking for. Simple, non invasive. Bonus for direct view of important info. I'm following. Thanks for the updates.

Few updates on my review of the Teslasy screen.

There is now the first update for the screen on their site, not had a chance to try it properly but it appears to improve performance and refresh the screen more smoothly.

There are now instructions for the screen on that page too - I learned you can activate Siri from the steering wheel button which is useful and I didn't know before. Also there are hotspots on the screen to fast switch straight to CarPlay (push the wheel hub!!!) and Settings (the door graphic!!).

I had an issue with one of the upgrade files that their WhatsApp folks solved in 10 mins (one of the 3 upgrade files was already the same/latest version that I had and the system just rebooted each time instead of telling me I was already on the latest). Once that was solved the other two files installed with no issues so their support is actually pretty good now they have a user manual and a responsive WhatsApp support team.

So far so good, no major issues. Had a couple of occasions where the bluetooth didn't connect first time but I'll see if that happens again with the new update. Overall still liking the screen a lot.

View attachment 990547

This is great - i hope mine ships today! Really looking forward to this.

visually the position is great. but i've always question how usable they are while driving with it being behind the steering wheel.
You can use Siri for many functions in order to avoid the need to touch the screen. That being said, I stopped using my behind the wheel Hansshow 9" Linux display for CarPlay long ago because it was distracting to view & touch it through the round steering wheel. I was just about to get a Yoke on my Model Y for this reason but then Tesla Android came so I used that for Carplay. I still have the display in the car mainly because I'm too lazy to remove it. I think my wife likes looking at it for speed rather than the Tesla center display.