Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No longer at stock ride height, but I did switch with those exact specs. If you're talking strictly about looks, the taller sidewall of the 245/40 tire can make the 19s look even smaller, since you're (probably) aiming for the stock 20 overall diameter. The gap arguably looks worse, since it's now filled with less wheel (depending on tastes). Personally, I like the appearance of 20s, but I made other considerations which resulted in 19s.

There's enough tire, suspension travel, spring and damping for rough roads, though you'll damage a wheel and tire with any setup, if you're unlucky. Try to balance as best as you can and live a little.

View attachment 635668 View attachment 635669
Thanks for sharing this. Your car looks great lowered. I’d love to have seen this setup on a stock M3P. I’m leaning toward sticking with the 20s and getting all seasons but i am concerned about the inevitable wheel damage. Since I’m not planning to lower I’m really hesitant to do anything that negatively affects looks. Even the 20s have a ton of gap particularly in the rear.

No longer at stock ride height, but I did switch with those exact specs. If you're talking strictly about looks, the taller sidewall of the 245/40 tire can make the 19s look even smaller, since you're (probably) aiming for the stock 20 overall diameter. The gap arguably looks worse, since it's now filled with less wheel (depending on tastes). Personally, I like the appearance of 20s, but I made other considerations which resulted in 19s.

There's enough tire, suspension travel, spring and damping for rough roads, though you'll damage a wheel and tire with any setup, if you're unlucky. Try to balance as best as you can and live a little.

In your opinion was the drop off in appearance from 20 to 19 significant at stock ride height? Yes my hope was that appearance would stay close as the overall circumference is the same.

Last edited:

What color are the wheels? I'm looking at the SV501, but torn on what color to pick. I really like the color on your wheel.

Reactions: Let's Drive
In your opinion was the drop off in appearance from 20 to 19 significant at stock ride height? Yes my hope was that appearance would stay close as the overall circumference is the same.
For me it was significant enough that I definitely wanted to close the gap, and I think we have similar feelings about the stock gap on the Performance. Regardless of which you decide, I think wheel and tire type + offset also play a part. Some tires, for example, have more square sidewalls vs others that are more rounded, while some wheel finishes blend more vs standing out. It's tricky.

I did a quick Google search and stumbled on the Tsportline page. These are 235/40-19, so a bit less sidewall than a 245/40, but you can get a fair idea of how much gap you'll have at stock height. You can also get some ideas on stock height fitment + gap from here.
example2.jpg
example.jpg

What color are the wheels? I'm looking at the SV501, but torn on what color to pick. I really like the color on your wheel.
Very nice choice! I went with gloss gunmetal. Here's a better pic under a combination of yellow and white lighting.
PXL_20201207_162013148.jpg

For me it was significant enough that I definitely wanted to close the gap, and I think we have similar feelings about the stock gap on the Performance. Regardless of which you decide, I think wheel and tire type + offset also play a part. Some tires, for example, have more square sidewalls vs others that are more rounded, while some wheel finishes blend more vs standing out. It's tricky.

I did a quick Google search and stumbled on the Tsportline page. These are 235/40-19, so a bit less sidewall than a 245/40, but you can get a fair idea of how much gap you'll have at stock height. You can also get some ideas on stock height fitment + gap from here.
View attachment 635735 View attachment 635736

Very nice choice! I went with gloss gunmetal. Here's a better pic under a combination of yellow and white lighting.
View attachment 635754
Yeah i found those pics. It’s hard to find pictures on the web at stock height. Those pics tell me to stick with the 20s. The 19s look fine but it’s definitely less aggressive than the 20s. Thanks.

View attachment 635735 View attachment 635736

View attachment 635754

That looks very good. I'm torn between matte or gloss gunmetal. I have a black M3 on order. I can't decide which gunmetal would look best on black. You might have made my decision a little easier. Thanks for the pictures.

If there is a slight range difference from 18" to 19" to 20" inch wheels and beyond. Is there also a range difference with the width? So if I go from something small like 8.5 to 9, will that impact range or just driving dynamics (if anything)?

Biggest range difference comes with increasing the wheel diameter. I think I posted a video a few pages back that shows up to a 10% range difference per inch of diameter added. Width won't affect range too much...more handling there.

• Informative
Reactions: cylonmode
Biggest range difference comes with increasing the wheel diameter. I think I posted a video a few pages back that shows up to a 10% range difference per inch of diameter added. Width won't affect range too much...more handling there.

That's what I figured, thanks!! I noticed my choices in wheels gets better the more I'm willing to change diameter and width.

Reactions: Nichigo

I would add that range can actually be affected by the width of the tire due to more contact patch. More rubber meeting the road, more traction, therefore more range loss.

This is why I am still tossing tire size between 245/40/19 and 265/35/19. Im already dead set on the size I want - 19x9.5... Offset is still debatable but like to stick with +35 range. This gives me a good balance on range loss and what not... Granted I plan on getting TEs and will likely be lighter than the aero 18s, I might offset the range loss of the 265/35. I dont know... LOL

I would add that range can actually be affected by the width of the tire due to more contact patch. More rubber meeting the road, more traction, therefore more range loss.

it will definitely be affected by tire width - just not nearly as much as the diameter affects it. I'm running heavier/wider tires now than I was a couple of weeks ago (but same diameter), and see maybe a 1-2% difference in range/efficiency. Also I think from a rolling standpoint, the efficiency is affected more by the aerodynamic drag of the added width than by the rolling friction.

This is why I am still tossing tire size between 245/40/19 and 265/35/19. Im already dead set on the size I want - 19x9.5... Offset is still debatable but like to stick with +35 range. This gives me a good balance on range loss and what not... Granted I plan on getting TEs and will likely be lighter than the aero 18s, I might offset the range loss of the 265/35. I dont know... LOL

Generally speaking, the wider you go, the fewer selections you'll find with grand touring tires, which maximize range/mileage. Instead, you'll be limited to all-season performance tires for the best option for range, which will offer better grip, better braking, at the expense of range compared to grand touring all seasons. So, it's always a compromise.

I say all this after hours of research when I was in the very exact same situation as you when I was weighing all my options before I purchased my forged wheels. I wanted the best compromise with range and stance, so I ultimately went with 19x9 et35 and kept the oem tire size at 235/40 in Continental PureContact LS grand touring tires. I had to be honest with myself that I really wanted to minimize range loss. All told, going with smaller diameter wheels in 18s may yield you more range than 19s all things being equal, but if you go with a 9.5" width, you'll still compromise range because of more contact patch AND the type of tires available for 9.5" wheels.

Titan 7 O.W.L. Titanium Race Nut's. Not 100% sure I like them better than stock, to be honest. I didn't realize they would look so much smaller...they also have a ton of unused thread so I started digging into the wheel stud threads... (reposting stock wheel for easy comparison)
View attachment 636039 View attachment 636040

The T7 nuts def look sharper than stock nuts. Nice match to the finish on the wheels. I'll take them off your hands if you decide to go back to stock ;)