Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
48.6 on the Martian 18x9.5 with 265/40/18. I was hoping for more. Need to find a slightly lighter wheel.

Even the most extremely carved out and forged 18"x9.5 wheels are at best 17-18 pounds. That's maybe a 1-2 pound improvement over what you have. To go lighter in that size requires more exotic materials.

Realistically the way to get lighter is a skinnier wheel and tire. More than half the weight in your case, is from your tires.

Reactions: Lindenwood and Sam1
Even the most extremely carved out and forged 18"x9.5 wheels are at best 17-18 pounds. That's maybe a 1-2 pound improvement over what you have. To go lighter in that size requires more exotic materials.

Realistically the way to get lighter is a skinnier wheel and tire. More than half the weight in your case, is from your tires.
18 lb wheel in the same size would be awesome. They aren't easy to come by. The tire weighs 27.2.

Attachments

• IMG_8477.jpg
    IMG_8477.jpg
    684.8 KB · Views: 193
18 lb wheel in the same size would be awesome. They aren't easy to come by. The tire weighs 27.2.

Based on their BMW fitment options, 18x9.5" should be right at 18.2 pounds. 18 pounds seems about the limit for aluminum forged wheels in 18x9.5 with adequate load rating.

Aren't your current wheels just a tad over 19 pounds? Doesn't seem like a huge gain here. If weight is your goal, a skinnier wheel and tire would net you more gains (or losses in this case?), and reduce most of the weight on the outer most diameter of rotational mass.

Reactions: Lindenwood and Sam1

My 18x8.5 were 17.7 pounds, and that was as light as the company would make. Less than that and you're getting into $10k/set wheel territory.

Reactions: Lindenwood

Based on their BMW fitment options, 18x9.5" should be right at 18.2 pounds. 18 pounds seems about the limit for aluminum forged wheels in 18x9.5 with adequate load rating.

Aren't your current wheels just a tad over 19 pounds? Doesn't seem like a huge gain here. If weight is your goal, a skinnier wheel and tire would net you more gains (or losses in this case?), and reduce most of the weight on the outer most diameter of rotational mass.
Well, smaller manufacturers tend to play the numbers game a little bit to make their products look better than the competition. Main stream ones have too much at stake to play games like that. Wholesale price on HRE or Forgeline shouldn't be too bad but still a good chunk of change.

Almost settled on a new wheel setup but I’m concerned about clearance with the front hub. Will this work without spacers on my Model 3 RWD? I’m currently lowered on Eibach springs.

19x9.5” +38 offset with 265/35/19

I saw a similar setup with 255/35/19, but I prefer little to no stretch on the tires. Thanks.

Almost settled on a new wheel setup but I’m concerned about clearance with the front hub. Will this work without spacers on my Model 3 RWD? I’m currently lowered on Eibach springs.

19x9.5” +38 offset with 265/35/19

I saw a similar setup with 255/35/19, but I prefer little to no stretch on the tires. Thanks.

That should fit a non-performance model without a spacer, lot's of people run a square setup like that. 255 on 9.5" is not stretched by the way unless that particular tire make is undersized. 255 usually have a tread width at least 9.5" wide.

Why such a high offset though? ET30-35 would look better imo, especially if you decide to lower the car.

"Who is ready to go off-roading! Can't wait to throw on my MPP coilovers, they just arrived this week. Really surprised at how much 18" wheels highlight the SUV stance of even a Performance Model 3, compared with the stock 20" wheels.

Wheels: Apex EC-7R in brushed clear. 18"x9.5"
Tires: Firestone Firehawks 255/40/18
Spacers: 5mm to clear the Performance hub step.
TPMS Sensors: New ones (Bluetooth) I bought from Tesla for $75 each. They paired automatically which was nice after I drove about 10 feet.

Still unsure what lug nuts to go with, and waiting for some brushed clear Tesla center caps to arrive.
I would like some blue colored lug nuts to match the car's paint, but I'm not a fan of Titanium and it's risk of galling, not to mention the price.

Tire shop people were pretty impressed with the wheels and were surprised at how light they are. They took their time installing, because they didn't want to scratch them, and they did a dry fit to make sure there was plenty of clearance with the spacers, so kudos to American Tire Depot in Thousand Oaks. They had a buy 3 get 1 free tire deal going which was nice. "

which brand of spacer did u go with?

did u also have to by the hub centric ring to make it fit?

Opinions please, machine black titan 7 ts5 or Vossen HF5 gloss black on a 2022 red model 3 performance with black interior that’s lowered? Or simply light forged satin black vs slightly heavier (lighter than stock though) gloss black

Opinions please, machine black titan 7 ts5 or Vossen HF5 gloss black on a 2022 red model 3 performance with black interior that’s lowered? Or simply light forged satin black vs slightly heavier (lighter than stock though) gloss black
Both are nice designs. I could either way. But I suggest gloss or candy black over matte all day. Forged is always a win reducing weight (mileage) and improving their strength to damage. But you obviously pay a premium.

Satin/matte aren’t bad finishes but one thing to note is that black wheels are dark so you lose the details of the design. Gloss helps bring them out. You could make a case that the extra details in the HF5s will be unseen because of it being a dark wheel.

It is worth considering an anthracite also!

Reactions: tm1v2
Both are nice designs. I could either way. But I suggest gloss or candy black over matte all day. Forged is always a win reducing weight (mileage) and improving their strength to damage. But you obviously pay a premium.

Satin/matte aren’t bad finishes but one thing to note is that black wheels are dark so you lose the details of the design. Gloss helps bring them out. You could make a case that the extra details in the HF5s will be unseen because of it being a dark wheel.

It is worth considering an anthracite also!
Eeh - depends in the matte/satun finiah and design. I can’t sat i’m losing any details or definition on mine, but it comes to individual choices and preference.

D76227C6-6CB2-4C76-B55E-04222B157D30.jpeg

Attachments

• 5237FE0B-9FA8-4C7B-AFD0-93FAB5C5DE74.jpeg
    5237FE0B-9FA8-4C7B-AFD0-93FAB5C5DE74.jpeg
    181.2 KB · Views: 129