Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Things get scratched because of the hardness or durability of the coating, not necessarily the color - though they will be more apparent/harder to hide with white. A good white powder coat should be pretty durable though.

+40 is best to keep suspension geometry as designed, but you could go up or down 5mm without too much concern.

Uhh pretty much anything Aluminum :) Cast is cheapest and heaviest and WEAKEST (the stock wheels), flow formed (sometimes called flow "forged" but that's a lie lol) is medium price and fairly light and then forged is most expensive and lightest (only a little lighter than flow form normally). Personally i'd suggest getting a pair of flow formed wheels to get the best trade-off between price, weight and strength.

Thanks much. Looking at websites I’m surprised that they don’t post their wheels’ material. I’m assuming that means that they are cast. Do u recommend any sites or chains for searching for forged wheels?

Thanks much. Looking at websites I’m surprised that they don’t post their wheels’ material. I’m assuming that means that they are cast. Do u recommend any sites or chains for searching for forged wheels?

Hands down, no contest the best value although perhaps not the absolute best wheel is get your wheels.com, the VS forged line. 600 bucks a wheel is really a good price for forged, and although there are some lighter forged wheels these are pretty light at 21 pounds for a 9 by 20. I'm getting some in about a week. Will post Impressions, results, Etc. You can get them in custom offsets and a wide variety of sizes. Since I have aftermarket rotors I needed a bit more offset (40 mm in front and 50 in back).

That load capacity is a definite NO.
You will bend your rims just from weight of the car.

That's kind of a bizarre load limit for an 18 x 8 wheel. I wonder if that's a typo. 1700 lb would be a more typical loan limit for that wheel. I don't know many cars that weigh under 2800 pounds that would accept an 18 x 8 wheel routinely. For that matter that not many cars being manufactured currently that weigh under 2800 pounds these days. Even some Honda Civics weigh more than that!

Last edited:
600 bucks a wheel is really a good price for forged, and although there are some lighter forged wheels these are pretty light at 21 pounds for a 9 by 20

For comparison, you can get VMR flow formed wheels for ~$350 each and they also weigh about 21 pounds in 19x9.5. Personally i think forged is not super necessary compared to flow formed but that's just me being cheap :D

If they dont advertise flow formed or forged, its almost certainly cast. The weight will tell you too, cast will be heavy for a decent load rating (1600 to 1800 pounds).

For comparison, you can get VMR flow formed wheels for ~$350 each and they also weigh about 21 pounds in 19x9.5. Personally i think forged is not super necessary compared to flow formed but that's just me being cheap :D

If they dont advertise flow formed or forged, its almost certainly cast. The weight will tell you too, cast will be heavy for a decent load rating (1600 to 1800 pounds).

For sure that's a really good price for 21 pounds at 9.5 even if it's 19 as opposed to 20 in

I got all four wheels changed over, added a bit of air to each to get them up to 40 PSI, went for a short drive, and in just a couple of minutes the car picked up the new TPMS sensors automatically, asked me which size wheels I was using, and started displaying the new tire pressures. These are the TPMS sensors I got... they were nice and cheap at $140 for the set, and I can confirm they work beautifully.

I got the same TPMS, but in matte black. The seller was very responsive and quickly replies to questions.

Nice write up with pics. The new wheels look great on your car !!

Reactions: Colgate2004
That's kind of a bizarre load limit for an 18 x 8 wheel. I wonder if that's a typo. 1700 lb would be a more typical loan limit for that wheel. I don't know many cars that weigh under 2800 pounds that would accept an 18 x 8 wheel routinely. For that matter that not many cars being manufactured currently that weigh under 2800 pounds these days. Even some Honda Civics weigh more than that!

This was my thought too... 700lbs load limit on a wheel has got to be a typo.

So this may be a dumb question but how are aftermarket wheels typically finished? Painted, powder coated, etc. I ordered a set from a vendor that actively posts on this forum and i have some concerns. I ordered around black friday and they continue to tell me that my “wheels are still in powder coat”. Im not an expert in the field but it seems highly unlikely that any of the tesla specific wheel vendors are big enough to actually make their own forged wheels let alone powder coat them in house. Just kinda sounds like an excuse because my item was back ordered. Anyone on here have some insight?

So this may be a dumb question but how are aftermarket wheels typically finished? Painted, powder coated, etc. I ordered a set from a vendor that actively posts on this forum and i have some concerns. I ordered around black friday and they continue to tell me that my “wheels are still in powder coat”. Im not an expert in the field but it seems highly unlikely that any of the tesla specific wheel vendors are big enough to actually make their own forged wheels let alone powder coat them in house. Just kinda sounds like an excuse because my item was back ordered. Anyone on here have some insight?

Depends on the vendor, but that is definitely not atypical and i highly doubt it's an excuse. Many of them get the wheels unfinished and perform final bore machining in-house to size and then also do the coating or painting themselves too. It would take quite a bit of working capital to have every size/bore/color in stock and ready to go.

Depends on the vendor, but that is definitely not atypical and i highly doubt it's an excuse. Many of them get the wheels unfinished and perform final bore machining in-house to size and then also do the coating or painting themselves too. It would take quite a bit of working capital to have every size/bore/color in stock and ready to go.
You make a good point, I can definitely see the benefit of having unfinished wheels. Makes inventory more flexible for sure. It just seems slightly deceiving to advertise “in stock” and shipping in 2-7 business days when in reality your merchandise may not even exist yet. Even more so I'm almost certain that Titan 7 makes this wheel for them or some type of partnership because they offer the exact same one in the same colors just not available in the oem size for a Model 3 Performance 20x8.5 square fitment. T-S5 Forged Split 5 Spoke Wheel

It just seems slightly deceiving to advertise “in stock” and shipping in 2-7 business days when in reality your merchandise may not even exist yet. Even more so I'm almost certain that Titan 7 makes this wheel for them or some type of partnership because they offer the exact same one in the same colors just not available in the oem size for a Model 3 Performance 20x8.5 square fitment. T-S5 Forged Split 5 Spoke Wheel

If that's what they're doing it's not "slightly deceiving," it is utterly fraudulent.

It's also, unfortunately, increasingly common: all too often these days people are throwing together pop-up "companies" that in reality consist of nothing more than a web storefront, where all of "their" products are some other companies' that they white-label, claim as their own, and often even drop-ship from the manufacturer or another third party.

(I've even seen some post photos on their websites of "their factories"... with the stock-photography watermarks still obviously visible. o_O)

Unfortunately that's the world we live in. You have to do research into the places you do business with to make sure they're legitimate.

Reactions: holmgang
Oh i totally agree on that haha it seems like a common trend with Tesla vendors to say they have something and then take FOREVER to deliver it. They must have learned that from the Tesla body shops :D[/QUOTEits the nature of the beast i guess
If that's what they're doing it's not "slightly deceiving," it is utterly fraudulent.

It's also, unfortunately, increasingly common: all too often these days people are throwing together pop-up "companies" that in reality consist of nothing more than a web storefront, where all of "their" products are some other companies' that they white-label, claim as their own, and often even drop-ship from the manufacturer or another third party.

(I've even seen some post photos on their websites of "their factories"... with the stock-photography watermarks still obviously visible. o_O)

Unfortunately that's the world we live in. You have to do research into the places you do business with to make sure they're legitimate.
Yeah it’s definitely borderline unethical but like you said its almost common practice in this day and age. I would like to give you guys more details regarding the transaction and how things work out with this vendor but im not hear to smear nobody. If they ship out fine and arrive undamaged i can live with it.

Yeah vmr are 815kg which is 1800 lbs

5FB71B84-5450-4F1C-9DBA-9E1B6C5D64BC.jpeg