Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Wheels - What are you getting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now my order is in I'm trying to line up some wheels to go with my Silver M3. I really would like dark wheels and running on performance summer tires. I had my heart set on some 20' TSW rims, however when I asked my local Tesla store they said the 20x8.5 40mm offset and 20x10 40mm offset would not fit the car. They said you'd need to adjust the forks. I guess that's why the 20' wheels they sell come with rear upper fore links. They also quoted me about $130 per TPMS (which apparently is the same hardware as the S. I found these for much less on ebay. 2018 Tesla Model 3 New TPMS Sensor Set Black Valve Stem 433 mhz | eBay

I'm now thinking 19x9 TSW Nurburgring front and rear with 32mm offset on some 225x40x19 Pilot Sport 4S

What have other people ordered/got/want? Anyone got any photos of their aftermarket wheels on the car?

I'm hoping to fit 18x9.5 with 265/40R18 Pilot Sport 4S tires on all wheels. I haven't seen anyone try it yet but someone took measurements and it might fit.
Maybe Enkei NT03+M. Only 19.4lbs a piece!
Screen Shot 2018-03-24 at 4.58.18 PM.png

This car has 20" turbine style wheels from EV Wheels Direct and didn't need any links. I am curious to why Tesla's online offering has this? Maybe just a handeling upgrade and not necessarily required?
Tesla Model 3 gets a bold look with 20" Turbine Wheels in Metallic Grey

Can anybody who is smart with wheels and offsets comment on why?
To speculate I assume the new suspension links give more camber (tops of the wheels are tilted inward more). The 20" wheels Tesla is selling come with MUCH stickier tires than the stock 18" and 19" wheels. If you were to do "spirited" driving to take advantage of the extra grip without the extra camber you would wear the tires unevenly (too much on the outside edge). If you're really trying to go "hella flush" more camber can help you fit wider wheels by moving the top of the tire inward to clear the fender. I don't think Tesla would cut it that close though.
Ideally you would adjust your camber to match your driving style but many new cars don't have adjustable camber.
20" wheels aren't really a performance upgrade at all. I'd bet that a car with the same tires in the 18" size would be faster both in a straight line and through turns. 20" wheels look better though :)

Reactions: SoCalGuy
A bit off subject but personally getting the 19 inch wheels. I felt that for $1,500 the hassle of going aftermarket was not worth it, especially after seeing some beautiful pictures of the wheels powder coated in black. Note that for me having a second set of wheel/tires is more of a hassle than anything.

A bit off subject but personally getting the 19 inch wheels. I felt that for $1,500 the hassle of going aftermarket was not worth it, especially after seeing some beautiful pictures of the wheels powder coated in black. Note that for me having a second set of wheel/tires is more of a hassle than anything.
You could easily sell the 18" wheels to someone looking for a set of winter wheels.

Reactions: McFlurri
I picked up a set of the 19" Stiletto rims (no tires/tpms) and ordered Michelin Pilot 4S for them. I love the look of those wheels and the tries should let me maximize the car's performance. I configured the car with the 18s, and will either keep them with some XIce 3 tires or sell them and buy some knock-off 18" turbines for the winter tires. I just don't love the look of the Pinwheels (with or without aero covers) on the red Model 3 unless you do a chrome delete (which I am not).

This car has 20" turbine style wheels from EV Wheels Direct and didn't need any links. I am curious to why Tesla's online offering has this? Maybe just a handeling upgrade and not necessarily required?
Tesla Model 3 gets a bold look with 20" Turbine Wheels in Metallic Grey

Can anybody who is smart with wheels and offsets comment on why?

Another related, but separate Tesla & EV Wheels Direct question - they both are offering the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 235/35/20 tires for their respective 20" wheels, yet tirerack.com and my local Discount Tire will neither sell or install this tire for Model 3 stating the tire is under rated for the rear axle load.

• Informative
I'm thinking this way as well... mostly because Tesla has yet to offer the 20' wheels in the design studio and who has room for an extra set of wheels!

Thing is with those and the TSportline ones, they are reasonably heavy compared the the TSW or Enkei ones mentioned above, which is not what you want from a performance rim.

And don't get me started on the fact the turbines are only spinning the right way on one side of the car :)

Good comment - weight kills range - I'm on my third Tesla and highly recommend getting the lightest wheel tire combo you can afford. The TST's are heavy - also when you are looking at tires check the weight too.. there is a huge difference between brands and types.

Try and buy the cheapest Forged Aluminum 6061-T6 wheels you can find - we might even be able to do a group buy specifically for the Model 3 if we all agree on size and offset. Excess wheel weight will KILL your range - this is why I have dumped my 21's on all three model S's I have owned. The 21's Inch Tesla Arachnids are forged aluminum 6061-T6 and they are about 30 lbs lighter (for four) than the 21 inch cast Tesla Stock wheels once mounted with the lightest rubber - just to give you a comparison. They are even lighter than the Tesla 19 inch cast wheels as well and still weigh about 5 lbs less than the 19's!!!! Dont waste your monies on aftermarket lipstick for heavier wheels on an electric car if need the range and like the acceleration and performance..... Get Forged monoblock Aluminum 6061 T6 if you can afford it, after that look at the Rotor Forged, like the TSW Nurburgring's (good choice) and the Enkei NT-3+M using similiar tech at rotor forged at the barrel, they call theirs MAT forged (marketing terms for just the outer barrel is being treated to make it lighter an stronger similiar to Rotor Forged barrels) if $$$ are tight...
I would run away for the TST's they are lipstick cast formed, just like the cheap stock wheels- just paint your wheels if you need black or grey... save your monies...

Last edited: